User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Dream Mac setup?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dream Mac setup?
porter

2005-01-21, 13:08

This has probably been beaten to death, but with a kick ass Mac lineup full of all kinds of goodies, what would you get now from the Apple store, if money were no object?

Since I'm not a power user and need to something easy to move with, I'd get a fully loaded 17" PB with the drug-dealer Zero Haliburton Aluminum case. Think sexy.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-21, 13:40

Um, i have my 17 incher.

What I would get is a cluster for computational protein engineering.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-21, 13:58

I almost have my dream setup. Will post in a few days...

/tease
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-21, 13:59

It depends. I tend to lean one of two ways, depending on what day you ask me

- I'd probably get a tricked-out-as-possible 12" PowerBook, mated to a 23" Cinema Display while at home. Ultimate portability + ultimate screen space, only one computer.

- At other times, however, I imagine myself with a 20" iMac G5 and a cute little 12" iBook for travel and couch surfing/e-mail. Ultimate power with large screen + compact, tough and inexpensive travel computer.

I've always hated the idea of owning two computers, but .Mac, iSync, Bluetooth and things like that do make it easier to keep bookmarks, contacts, schedules, etc. unified. So I am more open to the idea than I used to be.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-01-21, 14:11

I'd go for all out power. Dual G5 and 30" display. Make it wireless with BT. I'd like to implement a Mac entertainment center but I haven't found a good easy solution for this yet...
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-21, 14:54

The 30 inchers are just too big for me—even just one. I feel dwarfed standing in front of one at the Apple Store. The many times I have visited recently, I have been more attracted to the 23 incher. That would be my ideal display.

bouncy bouncy
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2005-01-21, 15:02

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-21, 15:05

An even better gaming PC than the one I have (going for the $500 video card instead of the $270 one) plus a fully loaded 12" PowerBook. That would be awesome and it would fit my needs very well. And as long as this is a dream setup, I'd also have an Xserve to keep in a closet for storing all my files - music, pictures, documents, disk images, etc. Then I'd ditch my PC's big internal hard drives and swap them out for a pair of RAIDed WD Raptor 74 GB 10k RPM hard drives. Oh, and get rid of my 19" CRT in favor of a 23" cinema display.

Since I have a limited amount of space in my place, I'd probably never set up my PowerBook for full-desktop use, so I wouldn't need a large screen, stand, keyboard and mouse, etc. Wireless networking would be enough. I'd also install a 7200 RPM laptop drive in the PowerBook - they're limited to 60 GB at the moment, but I wouldn't need much extra space since I'd store everything in the Xserve.

Hell, while I'm at it why not throw in a few dual Xeon boxes for Folding? I'm not an Intel fan (I have an Athlon 64 in my PC), but nothing beats the raw MHz when it comes to distributed computing.
jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2005-01-22, 05:49

My dream setup would have to be this:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...1.1.0.6.41.3.1

For those (the large marjority) whoc ant be bothered to look at that, it includes 3 apple monitors, a 23" adn two 20" :P, as well as much, much more!
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-22, 06:49

FYI: You can't link to a page you create at the Apple Store—the page times out for security reasons.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-01-22, 07:51

An iMac G5. That's it.
bborofka

Send a message via AIM to bborofka  
2005-01-22, 10:09

My dream setup would be an iMac mini with a 15" CRT, Apple 1 button mouse and Dell media-center-extra-buttons-galore keyboard. Plug in my 56k modem and I'd be set for life.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-01-22, 10:16

A 2.5Ghz Powermac, with at least 4GB of memory, and both harddrives installed (250GB, of course). At least dual 23" monitors, although three would be nice too. A decent firewire scanner, and a good quality A3 colour laser printer would top it off nicely.