turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-15, 22:01

I should add that my wife is driving.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-03-15, 22:06

Thanks for the clarification. You had me worried there turtle.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-03-15, 22:27

To continue the night driving theme...taken 11 years ago while on a road trip that went from Minneapolis to Las Vegas to Los Angeles to San Diego to Baja California back to Los Angeles to Boulder, CO to Austin, TX and back to MN. This particular photo was taken on southbound I-15 around 9PM when we first caught a glimpse of LV. The photo's a bit janky because I didn't, and still don't, know how to use a camera but it's one of the few transportation photos I have...it's also a scan.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
SpecMode
Wait what

2010-03-16, 01:56

Aha! Four minutes to midnight, and I finally got my photo online!

I shot this during an annual bike ride weekend before last, on a very fast (and slightly dangerous) downhill run. A couple of minutes after I got this shot, a couple of riders slid and crashed together into the side of a hill about a hundred yards or so downhill. They were both OK, and they got right back up and continued to ride.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-03-16, 19:31

As is becoming a bit of a trend, we had a sudden influx of entries right at the end. I'm glad we made it to the second page! Thanks very much for participating, everyone.

Ultimately I was most impressed by GSpotter's entry, which I think exemplifies a good photograph on several levels. It's graphically interesting, with light and shadow, rich colour, and dynamic lines. The photo also evokes a strong sense of being there. I can vividly imagine driving through the wet night in that modern car, cocooned in comfort and feeling just okay.

And if GSpotter allows me, I think his photo also says a good deal about him! The car is a diesel VW Eos in what looks like perfect condition: a fun car for sure, but also a sensible car. There are no fluffy dice, loose newspapers, or frivolous artefacts lying around the cabin. The temperature is set to precisely 20.5 degrees Celsius, the engine is plugging along at optimum RPM, the windscreen wipers are doubtless set just so! We can even see the driver surveying the road impassively while guiding the car with a relaxed and confident grip. In a moment he'll consult the Omega Seamaster on his left wrist to confirm progress as expected.

It's a great photo, GSpotter, and I'm pleased to entrust you with next month's photo challenge thread.

(I may post some comments on the other photos later, but I'm dreadfully tired right now and must sleep. I did enjoy them all! Thanks again.)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-17, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
And if GSpotter allows me, I think his photo also says a good deal about him! The car is a diesel VW Eos in what looks like perfect condition: a fun car for sure, but also a sensible car. There are no fluffy dice, loose newspapers, or frivolous artefacts lying around the cabin. The temperature is set to precisely 20.5 degrees Celsius, the engine is plugging along at optimum RPM, the windscreen wipers are doubtless set just so! We can even see the driver surveying the road impassively while guiding the car with a relaxed and confident grip. In a moment he'll consult the Omega Seamaster on his left wrist to confirm progress as expected.
Such attention to detail! It's official: I'm never ever posting anything with my ugly self

Hopefully he has better luck with his Eos than Souflay did. Of course, living near Wolfsburg, he's also bound to get better service.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-17, 09:56

Well, it seems I might have saved my images from this trip. I'm not going to take the time weeding them right now though, I can safely say they don't hold a candle to GSpotter's.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-03-17, 13:47

Quote:
Ultimately I was most impressed by GSpotter's entry, which I think exemplifies a good photograph on several levels.
Thanks alot! So at least my contortions on the backseat while installing the tripod weren't for nothing
Quote:
And if GSpotter allows me, I think his photo also says a good deal about him!
You'll be a good P.I. (or stalker) ...
Quote:
The car is a diesel VW Eos in what looks like perfect condition: a fun car for sure, but also a sensible car. There are no fluffy dice, loose newspapers, or frivolous artefacts lying around the cabin.
Well seen (how did you get the diesel part: by checking the rev meter?). It's a one year old Eos 2.0 TDI, which I bought abour 4 weeks ago.
Quote:
The temperature is set to precisely 20.5 degrees Celsius, the engine is plugging along at optimum RPM, the windscreen wipers are doubtless set just so!
The wipers are controlled by the rain sensor, the temperature felt right (without checking the exact value) and I'm trying to drive as fuel efficient as possible: On my way to work (cruising mostly on rural roads), I get > 40 mpg.
Quote:
We can even see the driver surveying the road impassively while guiding the car with a relaxed and confident grip. In a moment he'll consult the Omega Seamaster on his left wrist to confirm progress as expected.
I was trying to hold still for the exposure time (I have made several shots from about 7 to 30 seconds). Regarding the Seamaster: You seem to have a great memory.

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-03-17, 14:14

Yes, very good shot, stands well above all the others by a wide margin. I'm looking forward to the topic you pick GSpotter.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-03-17, 15:31

A few closing notes.

Brad got the competition off to a good start with the fun image of his Mac car. I enjoyed PB PM's photo, and so did my girlfriend. It's got lovely pastel tones, and the three boats lead the eye diagonally across the photo, taking in the various shapes and textures along the way. However, the photo deserves a bigger image size.

The entries by sebatlh, CoachKrzyzewski and Chinney are similar in that they exploit photographic phenomena such as flare and motion blur. I feel these images would work better with a little more structure to the composition or more context, such as they might have in a presentation with a series of similar or contrasting images.

Noel's self-portrait is fun.

I think the entries by turtle2472 and tomoe would benefit from a more obvious subject. SpecMode's entry is a solid photo, from a good viewpoint, of a cyclist having fun in the dinner plate. Nice.

Kudos to sebatlh, Chinney, and SpecMode for shooting something other than a car!

GSpotter: yes, the rev counter reveals the fuel type, and I remembered you had a Seamaster. One can just about see the two-tone bracelet in your photo, confirming the watch model. If you have time, could you explain how you managed to secure the tripod in the backseat?

Looking back at my own photos for the month, I would probably have entered this one if I had been competing:

See you in spring!
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-03-17, 15:49

Quote:
If you have time, could you explain how you managed to secure the tripod in the backseat?
The setup was rather simple, my only problem was getting to the backseat of a two door car to check the settings without colliding with the tripod. I had two legs spread as wide as possible behind the front seats. The third leg went to the middle of the back bench. The tripod had a carrying strap attached. I just fed the seat belt through the loop of this strap.
I set the camera to a fixed aperture, manualy focussed on the dashboard and used a cable release to trigger the shots.
I made a whole bunch of shots on the 25km ride back home with different lighting variations (town road, woods etc.) without checking and hoped that one of the shots would end up OK...

Quote:
Looking back at my own photos for the month, I would probably have entered this one if I had been competing:
I like that one! The low angle produces a very dynamic feeling.

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-03-17, 19:31

Congrats GSpot. Well deserved.

And I like that shot of the scooter Dorian. Your little yellow moto is very photogenic.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-18, 06:27

Thanks for the feedback. I will say it wasn't my intended image, but I had to submit something and the fact that I was doing it while in modern transportation just added to the theme.

If I can get through the images from the trip I'll try to post something more like what I was going for.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
sebatlh

2010-03-18, 10:57

Thanks for the critique Dorian. But I must admit that any flare or motion blur was unintentional in this case. The train I was sitting on was leaving so I only had time for a rally fast snapshot
Oh well, lots of room for improvements

GSpotter: Congrats to the win. Well executed photo!

It was fun. Normally I just shoot whatever, but having a set theme of what to shoot *and* to create something interesting makes it so much more challenging
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-03-18, 13:56

Quote:
I enjoyed PB PM's photo, and so did my girlfriend. It's got lovely pastel tones, and the three boats lead the eye diagonally across the photo, taking in the various shapes and textures along the way. However, the photo deserves a bigger image size.[/url]!
Thanks, it does look better in a larger size. I just don't upload images in a larger size than 1024x768 very often, for various reasons.