Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iMac randomly restarting

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac randomly restarting
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-01-14, 09:52

I have a latest generation iMac running the latest beta of Mojave. It's on pretty much all of the time as it's my media server, but lately, it's been restarting randomly overnight. I'll wake up and it's clearly back at a restarted state with all of the windows open.

Is there a way to figure out why this keeps happening?

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-01-14, 23:06

Have you looked through the Console logs to see what they show? Normally there would be something indicate in there. "system.log" is normally a good starting point though you might need to dig through more of them. Of course, it really helps to know about when it rebooted just to make the log searching easier.

If it does it frequently enough you should be able to find why before too long.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-01-15, 08:21

So what would that look like? In all fo the years I've been on a Mac, I know what the Console is, but I've never had to dig into it.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-01-16, 11:20

I was trying to find a good example for you but it's not been as easy as I would expect. The first real issue is that I use a Standard user for my day to day use on my Mac. There is an admin user that I have for times when I need to do things that require admin. Reading the logs is an admin function.

So once I logged into the admin account to look over the logs I soon remembered why I hate combing through logs on macOS/OS X. There is so much clutter and crap logged that finding what you're looking for is just like the needle in a haystack.

I can say that normally you would have a period where the logging during one specific minute is really high. Instead of 10-20 for the minute there might be 100 or more logged that minute. So before that you would see what has logged and what happened right before shutdown/reboot.

This article talks about tracing out after a kernel panic, which might be what's been happening on your Mac. That or running out of memory and crashing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-02-04, 09:52

I completely forgot about coming back and posting to this.

Thanks for that turtle.

Definitely not a KP though, because it has happened while I've been sitting in the room and there's no KP screen. The computer just seems to freeze up adn than restart.

I guess I just need to see what's running when this happens and then slowly go through and add things back to see what the issue is.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-02-04, 10:01

Is it possible it is a thermal issue and rebooting because of that? CPU overheats and triggers a reboot? They used to be widgets you could use to monitor the CPU for temp. Maybe there is something that is spiking the temp like iFlicks2 or some of that type of CPU intensive application.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-02-04, 12:06

That's what I was thinking. It does seem to be when iFlicks is transcoding, but it's also mostly overnight, so I can't really tell.

Hopefully the new release of iFlicks can help somewhat.

I do have it going in for a screen issue this week, so maybe I can ask them to look at the random shutdowns as well

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-02-04, 20:58

I would definitely ask about the shutdowns. They might take a look at the thermal paste if they are going to have it open. Totally worth the mention.
1claire

2019-02-19, 20:05

In rare cases, your Mac might spontaneously restart, become unresponsive, turn off, display a message that your computer restarted because of a problem, or display a message that you shut down your computer because of a problem.

Have it check on Mac centers to find out the reason behind it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-02-20, 09:50

Did they find anything out about the reboots when they looked at the screen?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-02-20, 19:27

No. They couldn't replicate the problem, but the screen was replaced and it's back to working again, but still with the random shutoffs.

I'm convinced it's something to do with iFlicks, but can't pin down what the combination is that causes it.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-02-25, 11:39

Try leaving iFlicks disabled from the watch folders. Then one evening when you're home and able to look manually run the conversions and watch what happens.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-02-25, 12:21

That's not a bad idea. Just wish it would just figure itself out and stop doing it, but we can't have everything

I'll have to go through and just manually do one at at time and see if iFlicks is causing it, but whenever it restarts, it does seem to always have something in the iFlicks queue.

bickxo

2019-02-27, 04:03

As far i know new firmware update caused the power adapter to shutdown and you're probably also seeing the gray screen on reboot. For now the best is to wait new update...
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-06-26, 20:40

So, this is still happening.

Looked in Terminal to see what time this happened and then into System.log to see what was happening right before this.

This is what it showed:

Code:
Jun 26 20:06:19 iMac xpcproxy[6378]: libcoreservices: _dirhelper_userdir: 529: bootstrap_look_up returned (ipc/send) invalid destination port Jun 26 20:06:26 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:06:49 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit Jun 26 20:06:56 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:07:26 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:07:56 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:08:26 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:08:56 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:09:27 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:09:44 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit Jun 26 20:09:57 --- last message repeated 2 times --- Jun 26 20:09:57 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:10:27 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:10:57 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:11:28 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:11:58 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:12:28 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:12:58 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:13:28 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:13:58 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:13:58 iMac syslogd[40]: ASL Sender Statistics Jun 26 20:14:28 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:14:59 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:15:09 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit Jun 26 20:15:29 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:15:59 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:16:29 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:16:59 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:17:12 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit Jun 26 20:17:29 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:17:59 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:18:29 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:18:59 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:19:29 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds. Jun 26 20:19:59 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.powerd.swd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 30 seconds.

What could that mean?

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-06-26, 21:15

I’m guessing that’s only a symptom, not the cause.

It sounds like hardware failure to me.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-26, 21:19

Just bite the bullet and take it in to a shop. An actual Apple Store or Premier Partner.

You still got warranty?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-06-26, 21:50

Nope. Bought last March, so it's out of warranty at this point.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-27, 09:10

Yikes!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-06-27, 16:13

Yeah, I had the same issue come back up last week were the display was discolored, but I hadn't had the restarting issue come up.

They covered another display replacement to cover the display discoloring. I'm thinking about telling them that it's restarting after the repair. Maybe they'll cover it again?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-27, 16:15

Yes. Definitely tell them that! Your hope is that Apple will cover the cost. Might even be able to get them to cover it because the issue began so close to the warranty's end date.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-07-02, 21:55

So, I had a Genius Bar appointment scheduled for this after chatting with a support rep online, but he said one thing that made me rethink it.

He asked if I had started with a fresh install and then a fresh user, without migrating. I hadn't done that (hadn't done that in probably 15 years to be honest. Just always migrated)

Did that and have slowly started adding things back that I need as I remember them.

Surprisingly, this seems to have stopped whatever was happening. I have been running the iMac for over a day without a random restart and everything seems to be ok so far.

As a related noted, I recently got a Thunderbolt Display to hook up to the iMac and it was running very hot, but I couldn't figure emote why. Now, with a fresh install, it is running much cooler.

I guess I just had some random things that over the course of 10-15 years piled up and caused some kind of issue.

Really hoping this solved whatever it was as I'm not a fan of being on a first name basis with my local Apple Store Genius.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-03, 00:03

Well, we’ve seen software do that before. Safari was the culprit.

Plugins!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-03, 15:44

I really hope it was just needing a clean slate. I've seen software indicate odd things before too. With so much being firmware controlled and updating able to happen on the fly it is just amazing really.