User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Software Suggestions Needed for Retail Business

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Software Suggestions Needed for Retail Business
YouCanHaveYourPC

2006-04-06, 11:21

I'm opening a retail business selling about 70% vintage (one of) items and about 30% new merchandise. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be my best bet for inventory software? I'm leaning towards Filemaker Pro 8, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel. Any ideas would be helpful.

I'm going to be using MYOB for accounting crap.

Thanks
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-04-07, 14:43

A quick Google search on "OS X Inventory Software" turned up this program written in Java:

I can't vouch for this software, but it looks like a downloadable trial/demo is offered.
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-04-08, 07:14

Although I don't know about retail, I've made many mistakes along the way in trying to "go out on my own." Hopefully this is helpful.

The single biggest mistake I ever made was getting locked into a proprietary file format for my data. I used a small developer's software, and the developer went out of business. Nobody else could or would pickup this format and you would be amazed how fast you accumulate data doing business. Getting it all sorted was a real pain. Lesson learned.

That being said I don't think Filemaker is going anywhere anytime soon, so it might not be a bad idea. Then again I was certain 4 was going to be the next number at roulette earlier tonight, and I lost money. So much for my ability to predict the future.

It might be best to find a soultion the stores your data in an OPEN format. Then you could either view and manipulate it in said open format, or port it as you need it.

Best of luck.