Eating only Sushi...unhealthy?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Eating only Sushi...unhealthy?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-09-11, 13:51

I've been eating only sushi for the past 5 days mainly because I couldn't be bothered to go to the dining hall.

There is fish, vegetables and rice in the sushi, but I'm not sure living on sushi is the healthiest way.

Does anyone know anything about nutrition to give me some tips?

Basically, I've got a reduced meal plan this semester and I don't know what's considered eating correctly.

Thanks, Steve.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-11, 14:37

You tell me

It can't be healthy. Maybe you can take 10 minutes out of your busy schedule to be "bothered" enough to go to the dining hall.

Come waste your time with me
Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-11, 14:50

If you're solely eating rolls it might be a little questionable.

but then again, Seaweed is good for you, rice is filling, fish is good for you, sodium(soy sauce) is good for you(though not in excessive amounts) Vegetables are good for you.

I don't really see any glaring red flags.

I had a handful of oreo cookies and a couple buffalo wings for breakfast today, I'm sure that sushi would be a lot better than that.

I dunno, I'd be curious to find out some more information about this.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-09-11, 15:42

1) There's generally not enough veggies on sushi to spit at.

2) Eating only a few ingredients, regardless of how healthy each might be, and nothing else, for extended periods of time, is just plain unhealthy. Eat a variety of things.

3) Isn't this just sort of common sense?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-11, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
3) Isn't this just sort of common sense?
Yes. Everything in moderation.
Snoopy

2004-09-11, 18:46

The food pyramid is unhealthy. So much grain make us fat. I believe a balance diet is the best place to start. About equal calories from protein, carbohydrate and fat at every meal. Some people do better with a little more carbohydrate and can adjust their diet to 40 or 50 percent of their calories from carbohydrate. Fat has more calories per gram however, so take this into account if you want to work in grams.

My problem with sushi is too much rice and not enough fish. Otherwise it is excellent. Raw fish is more healthy than cooked fish, provided it is free of harmful bacteria. This is true of many raw foods, but some food is better cooked. Fruits and vegetable are usually great, but not starchy vegetables like corn and potatoes.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-09-11, 18:51

Look at the Japanese (prior to western McInfluences).
A Rice, and Fish diet with vegetables will probably keep you healthy into your 70's.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-09-11, 19:06

Unless you have special nutrition needs (read: if you are healthy, but not an athlete), a week of sushi will only be good for you.
wretched

Send a message via AIM to wretched  
2004-09-11, 19:35

When I'm living in the dorms and going to college (i'm currently on vacation), I lived on cheese, oreos, mountain dew, tuna, eggs, cereal, and some bread. Once in a while I'd have some chicken and if I had enough cash, I'd pass by the Chinese place. I don't think only eating Sushi is so bad, the Japanese have been living on it, and ofcourse they had other things to eat like ramen (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, if you eat sushi and some sugar, I think you should be fine

Starsky: "Do it."
Think for Yourself. Question Authority
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-09-11, 23:25

Hmm....many different answers...

I guess I'll try to make things balanced but things are so hard when you're on a tight budget...

then there's the question of how healthy the dining hall food is... lots of pizza, fried foods, mexican junk... if you do want to eat helthy it's like plain barley or somethnig, not very tasty...

I'm curious to hear what other college students eat...and if it's a problem...

Thanks all...

...just got back from taking my date to see hero..best film evar!!!
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-09-11, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy
The food pyramid is unhealthy. So much grain make us fat. I believe a balance diet is the best place to start. About equal calories from protein, carbohydrate and fat at every meal. Some people do better with a little more carbohydrate and can adjust their diet to 40 or 50 percent of their calories from carbohydrate. Fat has more calories per gram however, so take this into account if you want to work in grams.

My problem with sushi is too much rice and not enough fish. Otherwise it is excellent. Raw fish is more healthy than cooked fish, provided it is free of harmful bacteria. This is true of many raw foods, but some food is better cooked. Fruits and vegetable are usually great, but not starchy vegetables like corn and potatoes.
I agree, the food pyramid is soooo unhealthy. I'll take the advice of someone who died of a heart attack and hawked books over a concerted effort by real nutrition scientists.

Barto

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2004-09-12, 00:07

I have an American style breakfast every morning but sushi for dinner nearly every night. Lunch is variable.

Eating too much fish will raise your chances of getting mercury poisoning. But I'm not sure how much FUD there is to that...seems like Beef industry propaganda to me frankly. Anyway aside from sashimi, the other sushi types are like 1/3 fish, rice and veggies. No doubt far less fish than a typical Legal Seafood goer eats.

Since there are not enough fish in the world for us to all eat sushi all the time, I would have to advise you to not eat sushi much. Meanwhile I'll be having it everyday...

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-09-12, 01:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
I agree, the food pyramid is soooo unhealthy. I'll take the advice of someone who died of a heart attack and hawked books over a concerted effort by real nutrition scientists.
I'll assume you're talking about someone other than Atkins since he died of head trauma from falling on an icy sidewalk. And his weight at death was due to medication to stave off congestive heart failure, which causes you to balloon from water retention.* And the congestive heart problem was due to being bed-ridden in a coma from the head trauma.

So who was it you had in mind again?

* My grandfather was taken off of this medication, and lost *50 lbs* of water. In three days. The nurses were damned tired of changing his cath bag...

Last edited by Kickaha : 2004-09-12 at 01:23.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-09-12, 01:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
Look at the Japanese (prior to western McInfluences).
A Rice, and Fish diet with vegetables will probably keep you healthy into your 70's.
Depends on your genetic background.

A diet mostly of blood-and-milk would kill most of us, but the Masai tribe flourishes on it.

Polynesian-derived folks in Hawaii who go on a traditional foods diet drop the stereotypical weight in a flash... but I would gain weight in a heartbeat on it.

Yeah, fish, veggies and some simple grains is a great diet for a lot of people, but there's the matter of what your ancestors adapted for.
Dead Cillia

Send a message via AIM to Dead Cillia  
2004-09-12, 01:44

i dont think you can go wrong with eating mostly sushi
maybe add some fruit
personally i would just be concerned with getting enough fiber, which we all know is the REALLY important part
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-09-12, 09:52

I bought all these Little Debbie zebra cakes and oatmeal cream pies because they were so cheap and I figured they're good for breakfast...similar to what I had in Italy...

...but they are so sugary!!!! I get a stomach ache from all that sugar...wtf??
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-09-12, 09:57

Relevant link.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2004-09-12, 12:08

I'm sure I will die young. A bowl of Lucky Charms for breakfast (or lunch, whichever I eat), water , 2-3 sodas, chips, more water, and maybe half a sandwich for dinner (if I eat it). Ahh, good times in college.

In fact it's probably been a few years since I've eaten 3 meals a day, all well balanced...

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-12, 13:50

I'm usually a really healthy eater, but I haven't had anything but water in the past 26 hours. Maybe I should eat.

Naw, not hungry yet. However...Steve, you got any sushi left?

Come waste your time with me
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-09-12, 23:05

There's a great article in the current issue of Discover magazine which tackles the issue of why the innupiat and yupik peoples of the north can exist on a high protein, high fat diet and still have all their necessary vitamins and evade heart disease. It all boils down to activity, the types of food ingested and genetics.

Short answer: it is highly probable that it is unhealthy for you to remain on an all sushi diet.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-09-13, 02:45

If you think you're eating too much of one kind of food, here's my advice (for what it's worth).

Pick four different countries and eat the food from each; alternating as often as you like. Add and subtract countries at will. You'll definitely get some variety and hell, you might find some new food to enjoy.

*mumbles about variety being the spice of something or another...*

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Fangorn

2004-09-13, 15:21

The food pyramid isn't such a bad idea if you substitute _whole_ grains for the overly processed white bread shown in the picture. Whole wheat breads, brown rice, whole grain cereals--these won't make you fat.

And eating "unhealthy" isn't something that will kill you in the short run. You can eat unhealthy for an extended period of time before the effects really start to show. Heck, I survived college on chips and soda most of the time because my university didn't HAVE a meal plan and I didn't have any money. Sushi for a week isn't going to hurt you. Heck, sushi for two years probably won't hurt you. (Thoughts of mercury poisoning float through my head. )
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-09-13, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong
Are you mentally retarded?
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-09-13, 15:56

Quote:
I bought all these Little Debbie zebra cakes and oatmeal cream pies because they were so cheap and I figured they're good for breakfast...similar to what I had in Italy...

Ok, I don't intend to be mean, but this is just the most retarded thing I've heard all month. "It's so sugary and I got a stomach ache, WTF?!"

I can't believe the question in this thread ever had to be posed

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Snoopy

2004-09-13, 23:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangorn
The food pyramid isn't such a bad idea if you substitute _whole_ grains for the overly processed white bread shown in the picture. Whole wheat breads, brown rice, whole grain cereals--these won't make you fat. . .

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Whole grains have more nutritional value, so you stay healthier as you get fat. Many years ago most nutrition "experts" were telling everyone to eat lots of complex carbohydrate. One such expert on TV was telling a panel they should have 15 percent protein, 15 percent fat and 70 percent carbohydrate. One person piped up saying, "I guess you must be right, but back on the farm, when we wanted to fatten up animals for market we feed them lots of grain.

By the way, the food pyramid is being revised in a few years. I wonder what the next set of "experts" will come up with.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-14, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Are you mentally retarded?
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-09-14, 00:19

Well, you see these little debbie things look just like some of the packaged cakes I used to have in Italy. I had no idea they taste and are totally different.

How the heck would I have known? Give me a break!
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2004-09-14, 00:24

Quote:
Well, you see these little debbie things look just like some of the packaged cakes I used to have in Italy. I had no idea they taste and are totally different.

Don't feel bad, if they ever get to Italy, they'll eat what you ate and spit them out saying "It's so plain and dry, where's all the sugar!!! WTF!!"

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-09-14, 00:47

Quote:

What, the first bite of corn syrup and wax didn't give it away??

*sigh* Okay, here goes. There are these things on your tongue called 'taste buds'. I know, I know, scary name, but put down that knife and stick your tongue back in your mouth. They're not growths, they're supposed to be there. They let you taste things. Taste. You know, like salty, or sour, or bitter, or... oh bother, what's that other one again? Oh yeah, *SWEET*. So anyway, these alert you to certain things, like whether a food is laden with salt, or might have gone bad, or, wait for it... or it might have *sugar* in it. Now I know this is a lot to take in, but that 'sweet' thing I mentioned? Okay, that means 'sugar'. 'Sweet' = 'Sugar' You can remember it if you remember that they both start with 'S' and have five letters. Wait. So does 'salty'. Nevermind. Anyway, take my word for it, 'sweet' = 'sugar'. And too much sugar makes you sick.

Simple, see?

Man, Little Debbie is just gross.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2004-09-14 at 01:53.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-14, 01:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy
Many years ago most nutrition "experts" were telling everyone to eat lots of complex carbohydrate.
So, you rather fall in the camp of the drivel by today's "experts"?

First fat is good.
Then it's bad. Cut out all your fat!
Then some fats are good.

Eggs are good.
Then bad.
Then good.
Then bad again.

Salt is a nice additive.
Then it's the devil.
Then it's okay in moderation.

Hell, I've even seen people argue that fresh fruits are bad because of the sugars they contain!

Carb-counting is just another stupid stupid stupid fad that the idiot public is just gobbling up (pun intended) as their next easy way to health salvation. Yes, filling your diet with processed white flour and sugar is unhealthy, just like filling a major portion of your diet with fat is unhealthy or filling a major portion of your diet with celery is unhealthy or filling a major portion of your diet with tuna is unhealthy.

WHAM WHAM*.

* This message brought to you by the Clue Stick™.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.