AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Actually Living in an Attic!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Actually Living in an Attic!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-04-01, 13:28

Hey, I was just realizing that I have been moved in and settled into my attic (which I have been updating you guys on since the summer) and I never showed you how it turned out!
Here is PART ONE which started it all

Well, here it is! I'll walk you guys through it:

This view is looking towards the two dormers, with the drafting table and drawers. The built-in shelves are also visible. I have since filled the shelf with magazines.

This next shot is looking at the storage room and skylight. The second shelf is also in there.

This is the other "entertainment" side of the room. I stitched some shots together for a poorly done panarama:

The equipment for the sound consists of:

Harman Kardon AVR 235 Receiver
Yamaha 5-disk CD changer
Crest V650 stereo amplifier
Blue Jeans Cable

Speakers:
Klipsch Kg2

Subwoofer:
Infinite Baffle - 2 x 18" Mach 5 drivers

I also built the speaker stands out of some galvanized plumbing pipe and wood, and I built the AV rack out of 2x4s and some plywood.

It sounds terrific, the sub really is tight and musical despite its massive appearance. (It can also cause structural damage if I turn it up too far as well)

The sofa thing is a "flip flop" one, like a futon.

It so far has stayed fairly cool, and it is really nice up there when it rains It smells fresh.

So, was it worth the hassle? Definitely!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-04-01, 13:41

I like it!

Paint the door though.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-04-01, 13:44

Hey, that is a 100 year old door, I'm not going to refinish it!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-04-01, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
Hey, that is a 100 year old door, I'm not going to refinish it!
Wow, 100 years, in America surely that would belong in a museum?

My house is 340 years old.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-04-01, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
My house is 340 years old.
Congratulations.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-04-01, 14:53

That's so awesome dude. Good job, and my offer from the previous thread remains (come and do my room!).

P.S.
Get a double bed, noob.

P.P.S
That instruction is in no way related to my 'offer'. I'm just sayin'.

Last edited by spikeh : 2007-04-01 at 14:53. Reason: Posts merged
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-04-01, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh View Post
That's so awesome dude. Good job, and my offer from the previous thread remains (come and do my room!).

P.S.
Get a double bed, noob.

P.P.S
That instruction is in no way related to my 'offer'. I'm just sayin'.
Screw it, just own up Spikeh, you might even get a reduced rate for the refurbishment.
BenP

2007-04-01, 15:20

Looks great. You did a really nice job.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-04-01, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Screw it, just own up Spikeh, you might even get a reduced rate for the refurbishment.
"I'd take a shot in the mouth if it gets me some refurbishment."
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-04-01, 16:00

Good work man! I like what you've done with the place. You really have made it a great place to live. I hope you get the A/C worked out up there before it gets too hot though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-04-01, 16:01

Anything to stop you just falling down the stairwell?

Thats not a threat, just wondered...
Suddoo

Send a message via MSN to Suddoo  
2007-04-01, 16:08

Nice! All you need now is a HD projector, and a beer fridge..

My grandparents have an 'audio' room in the top of their country house. Think 2x Mission floorstanding speakers (about 300w each I think - they are f'ing huge. The bass drivers in them are about 12", the midranges about 10", and 1.5" tweeters), an audiophile Quad amp, acousticly shaped walls, and wayy to much ..mozart..

good, but where's the vinyl?!


Small-time web designer for hire in teh UK
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-04-01, 19:11

(the multiquote doesn't work with this theme)

Spikeh:
Ha, I will try to get a bigger bed sometime, it is just that I am a stomach sleeper and I like having my feet and legs hang over the back. I always get people wondering why my bed is so small
And I would love to redo your room too, just pay the airfare and let me hang out in Europe for a month or so

Fahrenheit:
The stairway will get an idustrial pipe railing, I just need to get the pipe. I have all the connector pieces and just need to get around to ordering the pipe. So far no one has fallen

Suddoo:
Yeah, I do need a TV and that Optoma HD70 for $899 would make a nice addition... then I could have a legit place to watch movies and throw parties. As for the beer fridge, I would have to keep it stocked with soda until I get a bit older I'm sure that in Europe they let you drink when you are tall enough to reach the bar, but here in the states they are a bit more stringent.

My amp is pushing about 350 watts per channel at a 4 ohm load to the subs, and around 65 watts to the Klipschs. The system sounds very live and clean, which I prefer to uber-treated rooms.

You are right, the top of the shelf is just begging for a turnable...
Suddoo

Send a message via MSN to Suddoo  
2007-04-02, 05:10

Yeah, from what I've heard America is more 'boring' in that way. Here, I can go into any convieniance store and buy a 6 pack. Hell, I've been abe to do that for the past couple of years, they generaly don't care .

That, and my parents buy it for me anyways...

Oh, and are those speaker stands DIY? You need new ones!


Small-time web designer for hire in teh UK
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-04-02, 07:12

I think it's great WLP!

Come to think of it, you just posted the first episode of AN Cribs!

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-04-02, 07:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddoo View Post
good, but where's the vinyl?!
agreed. i use to have my record player set up, but from moving, i havent had time to set it up. i love listening to vinyl records. there's just something about it that gives you a feeling that you cant get from mp3s or cds. even though the quality is rough, it feels more real.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-04-02, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
I think it's great WLP!

Come to think of it, you just posted the first episode of AN Cribs!

Anyone else care to join in?
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-04-03, 00:57

Great work on your attic, WLP! The idea of having a semi-open wardrobe is a great idea! The area where you've got your desk looks a little claustrophobic though, perhaps it would be better for your bed.

Also - I don't see a Mac?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-04-03, 11:16

Very cool WLP. For panoramas, as long as there's decent overlap, CS3 will make those puppies seamless!
Partial
Stallion

2007-04-03, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
My amp is pushing about 350 watts per channel at a 4 ohm load to the subs, and around 65 watts to the Klipschs. The system sounds very live and clean, which I prefer to uber-treated rooms.
Damn, sounds like a heck of a set-up. You refurbish speakers for your income, correct?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-04-03, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
Damn, sounds like a heck of a set-up. You refurbish speakers for your income, correct?
Currently I am working on a business model for this summer. I am going to be a home theater advisor and installer, albeit a pretty low-key, word-of-mouth style deal. I think that I would be good at it since:
a) I've been reading stuff and learning junk for the last 3+ years
b) I'm addicted
c) I like to work hard when something interests me, and I am into audio a lot
d) I've set up my own system, and a few others in the past, plus built a few speakers a subs.

I currently want to use the wonderful prices and companies who deal solely over the internet to maximize value and performance. All the local places here only sell main-brand stuff, but I have listened to some of the Internet Direct competition and it sounds and looks just as good, if not better, for a fraction of the price. Plus things like cables and stuff are dirt cheap online. Most people just don't know what is reputable and what isn't online, so I'll help them out and install it for them. I've talked via email and phone with the owners of the big ID companies (Axiom, Ascend, SVS, AV123, RBH, Mach 5 Audio, etc..) and have got a good feel of how the stuff works. They also are honest people, some will recommend the competition's equipment if they feel it will suite your situation better. Much easier to deal with compared to pushy salesmen.

But I'm only 16, and I have a well-paying part time umpire job set up ($23 per game, 2-3 games a night) so it should be fine however it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
Great work on your attic, WLP! The idea of having a semi-open wardrobe is a great idea! The area where you've got your desk looks a little claustrophobic though, perhaps it would be better for your bed.

Also - I don't see a Mac?
The desk area works fine, the picture makes it look smaller than what it actually is. I wouldn't really want to put my bed there since my lovely neighbors (college kids) are up at all hours partying right outside that window. It isn't as bad noise-wise where I am now.

I too want a Mac for that area... maybe put a 24" iMac in there somewhere

Last edited by World Leader Pretend : 2007-04-03 at 18:15. Reason: Posts merged
intlplby
Veteran Member

2007-04-03, 19:37

if you are going to be pursuing home theater advising make sure you look into learning about acoustic treatments..... People can spend a fortune on commercially available treatments or get into making your own out of Owens Corning #705 or #703....

I'm just waiting until i have my own place to drop money on making my own bass traps...

check out ethan winer's page for more info.

check out this place too... this guy make's some slick wikked hifi stuff

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-07-05, 16:59

Everything is now done that was originally planned, since now I have an AC and a railing.

The AC works fine, although we still need to build a real window around it instead of a translucent campaign sign with tape.

The railing however is really cool, and I like it a lot. The connecting pieces are from a company on the east coast called met-rail or Hollander or something (I'm not sure which one is the official name) but the product line is called Speed-Rail. These connectors are made out of lightweight anodized alluminum and have a hammered finish. They are high quality to say the least. They work by inserting the proper sized railing and tightening a threaded pin into the pipe w/ an allen wrench. It took no time to set up compared with the alternative (welding, threading).

The pipe was the holdup, as I couldn't find suitable pipe anywhere locally and hated the idea of buying and shipping steel pipe. I finally came across a custom metal shop that stocked the right type of pipe and behold! It was aluminum as well. The pipe was cut and fit well, but it was pretty dirty and had no shine. I grabbed a pack of scotch-pads and they worked really well for removing all the grime from the aluminum pipe. They are really shinny!

I got everything set up and then I started to realize that aluminum oxidizes black on your hands, which won't work for a railing. I had to un-assemble the railing and coat all the pieces in some clear enamel, which ended up working great. Now the pipes look just like before but they don't oxidize all over your hands.

The best part is that the entire thing is solid as a rock, almost no vibrations or movement if you try to move it. It is really solid.

Pics!

How does it look?

Edit: Here is the Flickr batch with all my photos of the loft.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-07-05, 17:03

Awesome..

To the max.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-05, 18:13

You really have turned that place around. Great work!
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-07-05, 18:14

I want to live in an attic now...

Great job!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-05, 18:34

Looks like a firehouse or a Navy ship or something. Very cool! I love that rail system. Very nice work. That's EXACTLY the kinds of places I like living/being in: funky, different, small, cozy, a place for everything and everything in its place, neat angles and wall positions, etc.

I'm going to build an entire house like that someday. I can't stand traditional houses/rooms.

I want angles, multiple levels, nooks, lofts, library ladders on wheels, a firepole to slide down, an indoor swing (not that kind), skylights, an outdoor shower (or the ability to retract the roof from my shower/bathroom, a center-of-the-room fireplace (or firepit, rather), a turret with a water cannon/potato launcher, solar collectors, every light on a dimmer, multiple murphy beds, open floor plan (bathroom would be only private/closed room), rainwater catchers, a rooftop deck/observation tower (with kick-ass telescope), refrigerated taps in the kitchen, TV/movie area set 18-24" into the floor, "instant dark" plasma windows, Wi-Fi blanketing the joint and property, small but modern, ultra-efficient kitchen, hidden desks and table tops that flip down from walls, speakers throughout (controlled by my Mac) and two-person hottub.

That's my idea of a place to call home.

World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-07-05, 23:09

Scates, are you a Dwell magazine reader by any chance? If you aren't you should be, since you just described the content of it.

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-05, 23:12

Never even heard of it, but I'll be looking for it now. What is it...an "alternative house" type of publication? I'll go Google it...

I've just never wanted a typical, cookie-cutter home. I want a home that's "me", and fits how I like to live. Something small, tight, efficient, fun, a bit sideways and quirky in some ways, hidden features, cool use of space, funky, bold colors, out-of-the-ordinary elements, a kitchen and bath that perfectly match me, etc.

The kind of place people would walk into and just instantly go "HOLY SHIT, this is the coolest house I've ever seen in my life...it's like a monkey lives here! An artistic, slightly unbalanced monkey who hates square, divided rooms and standard layouts! I get to climb the tower and shoot the potato gun first!"

I've doodled plenty of ideas and designs over the years. But not being up on engineering, wiring, plumbing, construction, etc. I'm not sure how architecturally sound (or sane) any of it is. Someday, though, I'll sit down with someone who can make it a reality...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-07-05 at 23:22.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-07-06, 00:07

Dwell is a modern living type of magazine, but it ranges from current urban lofts to 1940s glass houses to 1970s free-form clay hippy huts. It is based around articles about restorations, a bit of history, pre-fabs, and lots of design.

The magazine itself is printed on heavy, matte paper that is nice and sturdy, so it feels more like a book. Lots of photos and excellent ads.

I really do spend half the time looking at the ads.

Check it out sometime, I bet you would like it. (btw there are one or two laying on my table in the pictures linked above)