Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Macworld Announcements???

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Macworld Announcements???
Page 1 of 28 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
bytor

2007-10-19, 10:55

Obviously 2007 has been an exciting year for all of us Mac afficianados. So my question is, whats going to be announced at MacWorld 2008? Any exciting new product speculations???

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-10-19, 10:56

As pointless as this thread may seem, and its probably going to be closed since it would only be baseless speculation, there really hasn't been any major "future what ifs" in the Mac world, really. Sad.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-10-19, 11:17

I'd really appreciate a new Macbook design. Mac Pros will be updated sometime soon.

Other than stuff like that, I can't think of any "exciting" stuff they could announce. Maybe 3rd party apps for iphone/touch or some kind of mac mini/appletv update. Maybe apple will update their monitors too.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-10-19, 11:21

Here's what I'm thinking at the moment:
-- HD content in iTunes for Apple TV (I want this more than anything else)
-- More details on the iPhone SDK
-- Mac Pro update

As the event approaches, I'll probably come up with more ideas, but that's all I'm seeing for now. I'm sure there will be one or two other announcements, though.

I also might get to go this year, so maybe I'm just hoping for an extra-interesting keynote.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

chris e boy

2007-10-19, 14:51

Wow. This is a bit early.

Errmm... I'd expect those rumoured new Mac Pros with the Penryn chips to see the light of day, still clinging to a hope of the sub-notebook that has being doing the rounds for ages now and some further news on the upcoming iPhone SDK.

Anything more than that really would be baseless rumours.

Electric Monk

2007-10-19, 14:58

Here I was thinking that this thread would wait upon release of Leopard.

Anyway.

I'd like:
  • iPhone 2 (3G, 16 GB, better camera w/video + hardware button for camera)
  • Notebook expansion: 11" Nano, 13" MacBook Pro, 15" MacBook[1]
  • New models of MacBooks, Mac mini, Mac Pros, with a design language refresh (like the iMac).
  • A 5.5-7" Mobile OS X based tablet/UMPC computing device
Do I actually expect all of that? Not really, but certainly most of it is in the running.

[1] Alternatively ditch the Pro tag. Simply scale from 11" to 17", with 13" & 15" offering a better GPU/CPU option, and 11" & 17" offered in a single version. 6 SKUs, same as current offerings.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-10-19, 14:59

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm thinking we'll see a pro gear overhaul. The Mac Pro and MacBook Pro will make the leap to Penryn, and they'll get a bit of a makeover in the process. (If Apple's consumer gear is moving to aluminum, Apple's pro gear has to move to something even cooler, right? My money's on black aluminum.) There should also be new displays, to match. (Hopefully, Apple doesn't make us wait until WWDC for matching screens!)

Yontsey, this would allow the MacBook to get a new, metal design in the spring, around it's second birthday, and just in time for the educational buying season.

Also: details on the iPhone SDK, possible iPhone updates (nothing earthshattering - a 16GB model, a PRODUCT (RED) color, etc. - nothing that would require sending the iPhone back to the FCC), and maybe HD content, on the iTunes front.

I really, really want to see an Apple ebook reader, but I don't think that's likely.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

MagSafe

2007-10-19, 16:44

If the plastic MacBook design is still with us by January, i'd bet on there being an update then, using the same material as the current iPods.

Overall I'll say...

Begin with sales round up (iTunes moving in on second place)

Apple re-vamp most of their hardware (MacBook & Mac Nano), showing a nice new image of all the Mac's together.

One More Thing: "We've got a great line up of Macs, all are hugely popular, but we'd like to add another.... a sub-notebook!"

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock

washington mac user
can't read

2007-10-19, 17:41

I want a MacMini Pro (sure its not going to be called that, but give us a computer that is small with up to date parts)

Kusakun

2007-10-22, 08:38

Please. A Mac Pro with octo core in all configurations. Lower configurations are still intact since last year.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-10-22, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by washington mac user View Post
I want a MacMini Pro (sure its not going to be called that, but give us a computer that is small with up to date parts)
Evidently, some are still chanting:

"Head-less. Head-less"

But will Steve ever listen?

MAJB

2007-10-22, 09:15

I'm holding out for the iCar.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-10-23, 06:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
I also might get to go this year, so maybe I'm just hoping for an extra-interesting keynote.
I just found out that I will definitely be going to Macworld, and I'll even have a keynote pass.

SpecMode
Wait what

2007-10-25, 22:31

I'll be there as well -- if you happen to be in the exhibit hall on Friday afternoon, stop by the Apple Consultants Network booth and say hi!

kenkirk

2007-10-30, 11:13

I am hoping for a new Xserve RAID and a new or speed bump-ed Xserve server...but then again, I may just be selfish because my company's server rack product line is tied in with Apple Xserve product line.

Personally, I believe: a new version of Apple TV, new Intel processors to be incorporated in some machines and speed bumps for others, new high end version of iPhone announced that can do iChat with built-in video camera and a few other things

hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2007-10-31, 00:14

My guess is this.

1. New Penryn based Mac Pro computers with new Nvidia options for the GPU availability immediate.
2. New Macbook Pro (availability 30 days)
3. iTunes 8. A massive upgrade with mucho features and interface and performance improvements.
4. Apple TV 2. More integrated internals which help lower the price to 249.99. Leopard OS foundation with Webkit support.
5. iLife and iWork updates. Now they are Leopard savvy with new features that take advantage of Leopard 10.5.2
6. iPhone 2 and iPhone Nano. More memory and better hardware. Nano is simple Candybar style phone with decent contact/cal sync.
7. New Apple Cinema Display. 20" 1920x1200, 24" 2560x1600, 30" 2560x1600 built in iSight. All models have DisplayPort connectors.

omgwtfbbq

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-10-31, 02:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
My guess is this.

1. New Penryn based Mac Pro computers with new Nvidia options for the GPU availability immediate.
2. New Macbook Pro (availability 30 days)
3. iTunes 8. A massive upgrade with mucho features and interface and performance improvements.
4. Apple TV 2. More integrated internals which help lower the price to 249.99. Leopard OS foundation with Webkit support.
5. iLife and iWork updates. Now they are Leopard savvy with new features that take advantage of Leopard 10.5.2
6. iPhone 2 and iPhone Nano. More memory and better hardware. Nano is simple Candybar style phone with decent contact/cal sync.
7. New Apple Cinema Display. 20" 1920x1200, 24" 2560x1600, 30" 2560x1600 built in iSight. All models have DisplayPort connectors.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but...

A) I don't think Apple will make an iPhone without a touchscreen. If there is an iPhone nano, which does indeed seem inevitable (but probably not for MWSF), then it will still be touchscreen.

B) An all-new Apple TV isn't necessary to drop the price. I think a simple firmware update (to work with iTunes 8) and then a $50 price drop a few weeks after MWSF (along with an iPod shuffle price drop?) is more likely.

C) No new iLife or iWork. The 2008 versions are already out, and I think they're about as "Leopard savvy" as they're going to get in 2008. They came out only a month before Leopard, anyway - they were obviously designed with the new OS in mind.

That said, I do agree that new Mac Pros, MacBook Pros, and Cinema Displays are due, and iTunes 8 and some form of iPhone update are a lock, as well. (I wouldn't be suprised if it was "just" the addition of a 16GB model, though.)

So, at MWSF:

*requisite hullaballoo about iPhone sales, iTunes dominance, and Leopard adoption rates*
New Pro Gear
Info on the iPhone/iPod touch SDK
iTunes 8 with HD and iPhone/iPod touch software
16GB iPhone added for $499
*Microsoft person gives requisite hullaballoo about Microsoft Office 2008*

...and then either at MWSF, or a few weeks later, the Apple TV and iPod shuffle both quietly drop in price.

What do you all think? Overly ambitious? Apple's Pro line really is due for a facelift, though...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2007-10-31, 05:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
A) I don't think Apple will make an iPhone without a touchscreen. If there is an iPhone nano, which does indeed seem inevitable (but probably not for MWSF), then it will still be touchscreen.

B) An all-new Apple TV isn't necessary to drop the price. I think a simple firmware update (to work with iTunes 8) and then a $50 price drop a few weeks after MWSF (along with an iPod shuffle price drop?) is more likely.

C) No new iLife or iWork. The 2008 versions are already out, and I think they're about as "Leopard savvy" as they're going to get in 2008. They came out only a month before Leopard, anyway - they were obviously designed with the new OS in mind.
A. It'll be interested to see how wedded Apple is to multi-touch for phones. While large screens and the ability to run apps is key for many people I think there are significant people that want a good phone that's pretty simplistic. We'll see if Apple caters to these people. I kind of think they will.

B. There's not much margin in the Apple TV. Apple's likely better off going with a more integrated SoC (System on Chip) design if they can. The Intel proc and GPU generate a lot of heat in this device and that's not good in such a small form factor IMO.

C. iWork and iLife are Leopard compatible but that doesn't mean they're savvy. I'm upgrading to Leopard to get access to new hotness. I don't don't want to wait until the next large revision. I expect to see iWork 08 with support for new Leopard API like Core Text, Core Data (much faster in Leopard), Core Animation, QuartzGL and the upgraded QTKit. It's nice they delivered on Tiger but today's product certainly doesn't appear to be a Leopard savvy app and if Apple can't eat their own dogfood then why should 3rd party developers do so?

omgwtfbbq

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-31, 07:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
C. iWork and iLife are Leopard compatible but that doesn't mean they're savvy. I'm upgrading to Leopard to get access to new hotness. I don't don't want to wait until the next large revision. I expect to see iWork 08 with support for new Leopard API like Core Text, Core Data (much faster in Leopard), Core Animation, QuartzGL and the upgraded QTKit. It's nice they delivered on Tiger but today's product certainly doesn't appear to be a Leopard savvy app and if Apple can't eat their own dogfood then why should 3rd party developers do so?
iWork '08 and iLife '08 both use Leopard APIs, and did so in Tiger. Check the installer; it installs backported versions of them.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-10-31, 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
I'll be there as well -- if you happen to be in the exhibit hall on Friday afternoon, stop by the Apple Consultants Network booth and say hi!
Will do. Somebody will have to start a meetup thread a week or so before the event. Maybe we should all buy "hello, the" shirts to wear to the keynote or something.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

Roland

2007-11-02, 13:41

I think I'll see a thin sleek 13" mac book pro. I really need a laptop, but the macbook update was so quite I am sure they'll give it a real form factor update sometime in spring.

cosby jnr.

2007-11-14, 17:18

There will be some big retail news at MacWorld in January.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-11-14, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosby jnr. View Post
There will be some big retail news at MacWorld in January.
Thanks?

Way to go out on a limb there.

My prediction for the day?

The sun will come up tomorrow.

rasmits
rams it

2007-11-14, 17:29

Apple will announce their super awesome subnotebook, the very look of which makes me want to orgasm my pants...

...two months after I will have bought a Vaio TX.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-14, 17:43

Quad Octo-Core Processor (yah I said it... 32 processors bitch!) With 4 Octo-terrabyte hard drives, 64 Gigabytes of PC-8000 8GHz RAM, and an ATI Radeon 88000 Card with minimum 204EIGHT MB of VRAM.

buh-buh-BOO-YAHHHH!

(and a front-loading Pez dispenser BTO)

...into the light of a dark black night.

cosby jnr.

2007-11-14, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
Thanks?

Way to go out on a limb there.
Nothing I can say will give creedance to anything further I might care to add, so I'm not going to. I'm just saying that there will be huge retail news at MacWorld, if not before - information is already seeping down through the grapevine.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-11-14, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
Apple will announce their super awesome subnotebook, the very look of which makes me want to orgasm my pants...

...two months after I will have bought a Vaio TX.
Don't do it rasmits! Be strong!

(On a related note: Why the TX? Is the TZ not available in Europe?)

screensaver400
Veteran Member

2007-11-14, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosby jnr. View Post
Nothing I can say will give creedance to anything further I might care to add, so I'm not going to. I'm just saying that there will be huge retail news at MacWorld, if not before - information is already seeping down through the grapevine.
Okay, I'll bite.

When you say retail, do you mean Apple Retail Stores? A new Retail product? New Retail outlets (expanded sales at Best Buy, et cetera)?

SpecMode
Wait what

2007-11-14, 22:15

ZOMG Apple Store plugin for AppleTV!!!11!1

OK, I had to say *something*. In any case, with the iPhone, AppleTV, iPod touch, et al this year, I'd be hard pressed to think of anything earth-shattering that Apple could announce in '08 to top this year.

And in all likelihood, I'll be proven spectacularly wrong. And I won't be complaining one bit (unless I can't afford it.).

rasmits
rams it

2007-11-15, 05:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Don't do it rasmits! Be strong!

(On a related note: Why the TX? Is the TZ not available in Europe?)
Ah yes, TZ is what I meant.

I was playing with one in the store a couple days ago and they're amazing...