Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The "Explain Your Username" Thread
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-06-26, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
However did you get your username, Brad?
Less-than-charitable folks like to label people who don't want kids as "selfish" and atheists as "heathens". So, I've taken those would-be aspersions and embraced them.

edit: Well, crud. My eyes are playing tricks on me today. I swore when I hit reply that you were asking about my user title.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-06-26, 16:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambrennan View Post
Put me on the 'it's my name' pile. I had thought of asking Brad to change it but know that's often a dangerous thing to do so never built up the courage...
Only dangerous in that people won't know who the heck you are. To help with that, I ask to change the user title and/or signature for at least a month or two to say "formerly X". If you really do want to change it some day, just shoot me a PM.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SpecMode
Wait what

2010-06-26, 16:55

Spectator Mode. It pretty much came from the days when I used to play games online, but spent more time watching other folks play (in "spectator mode") than actually playing.

I think AN was the first place I actually used the name, and I kinda stuck with it after that.
¡Damned!

2010-06-26, 18:27

I swear that I posted this back in the AI days, but I've had fuck-all luck finding it over there.

It's a long story, and this is the first night I've been back in my own house in a month, so imma drinkin' and gettin' some, if you catch my drift. You'll have to forgive me until tomorrow.

It's full of weird though. Apparently I attract that sort of thing.

So it goes.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-26, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I swear that I posted this back in the AI days, but I've had fuck-all luck finding it over there.

It's a long story, and this is the first night I've been back in my own house in a month, so imma drinkin' and gettin' some, if you catch my drift. You'll have to forgive me until tomorrow.

It's full of weird though. Apparently I attract that sort of thing.
Yayayayay 709 is back! I think it's been quite a month for, um, everyone.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-06-26, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Less-than-charitable folks like to label people who don't want kids as "selfish" and atheists as "heathens".
Personally I'd say sensible! (and yes I did have children, they are all grown up now)
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-06-26, 18:52

As for my username, now I'm getting older it kinda seemed appropriate and a bit of fun. I use it lot's of places.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-06-26, 21:20

When I started college my roommate had a very simple AIM handle, it was his initials and our school, FSU. I adopted that moniker but exchanged his initials for my own for obvious reasons. I used it for a number of years and still use the .Mac email alias for all my signups online. Because I used it for so long, a simple search brings up a little more connectivity then I particularly care for, but I'm not creative enough to come up with something to change it to.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-26, 21:27

<-- Speak of the devil! :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
Because I used it for so long, a simple search brings up a little more connectivity then I particularly care for, but I'm not creative enough to come up with something to change it to.
If you had a "k" in there you could come up with some creative rearrangements.

Maybe kieran has a "k" to spare

Initials "J.C.," huh...be sure to let us know if you're secretly the Divine One, walking in our midst.

I speak, of course, of Joey Comeau.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2010-06-26, 23:12

I was bauman over at AI, but as that's my last name I decided to pick something new when I finally migrated over here.

Majost is simply the first two letters of each of my first three names. I have two middle names, and I don't believe any government form has ever gotten it correct since my birth certificate. It's a pain in the ass, but I appreciate having my mom's maiden name as a part of my name without creating a hyphenated last name (that can also be a pain). And I like my name. Matthew Joel is a great combination. I go by Matt for anyone who has met me since middle school, though.

My user title, "monkey with a tiny cymbal" comes from the Hot Chip song Over and Over, which I listened to religiously for about a month. The line is actually "monkey with a miniature cymbal," but that wouldn't fit. It worked particularly well since I used to work with monkeys for a living. (Literally.)

I just haven't had a reason to change it since.

Last edited by Majost : 2010-06-26 at 23:24.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-06-27, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

Maybe kieran has a "k" to spare
I dropped a few here about a year ago, so I think I can spare one.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-27, 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
I was bauman over at AI, but as that's my last name I decided to pick something new when I finally migrated over here.

Majost is simply the first two letters of each of my first three names. I have two middle names, and I don't believe any government form has ever gotten it correct since my birth certificate. It's a pain in the ass, but I appreciate having my mom's maiden name as a part of my name without creating a hyphenated last name (that can also be a pain). And I like my name. Matthew Joel is a great combination. I go by Matt for anyone who has met me since middle school, though.
That's an interesting way of coming up with a name! I would be Jagr, which reminds me of Jaguar. Also, Mick Jagger, but that's probably just because he was trending on Twitter today. (No middle names here, which can also cause problems. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost
My user title, "monkey with a tiny cymbal" comes from the Hot Chip song Over and Over, which I listened to religiously for about a month. The line is actually "monkey with a miniature cymbal," but that wouldn't fit. It worked particularly well since I used to work with monkeys for a living. (Literally.)

I just haven't had a reason to change it since.
I love Hot Chip.

Is your location a reference to a certain television programme (happy birthday, J. J. Abrams!), a Coldplay song, or a simple state of being?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-06-27, 01:37

So my name came from an '89 Plymouth Sundance that ran on 2 1/2 cylinders. (Compression was gone in one and 1/2 in the second.) So since my car had no power and wouldn't go very fast I was dubbed Turtle. I was heavy into CB usage back then because I lived in the back woods of Suffolk. So if you were running around Suffolk on a CB you'd find me by calling for Turtle.

AOL got popular and my cousin gave me a screen name. "turtle" was taken and AOL offered to add "2472". I didn't care and so I ended up going with "turtle2472". Since then I've pretty much grabbed it on all services out there because "Turtle" is just about always taken. Even here it's not being used though it's taken. Since I have the name everywhere I've pretty much just chosen to keep it no since I also have to TLD for it too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-06-27, 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Like what? jfDuck?

Quote:
Initials "J.C.," huh...be sure to let us know if you're secretly the Divine One, walking in our midst.

I speak, of course, of Joey Comeau.
I had to look him up. Some of the 'softer world' stuff is pretty funny.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-06-27, 18:45

I also remember this discussion on AI.

People in the local film industry know me as "Drewprops" because my first name is...... wait for it..... "Drew".... and I was a propguy. It's typical on set to call somebody by their first name and also to call out their department.

Pretty simple.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-06-27, 18:52

I've been online sooooo long... (300 baud acoustic modems, dude)... I've always been an anonymity/privacy nut devotee.
MBTF notwithstanding, Bits might never forget... and they rarely forgive.

I've never wanted my digital life to connect to my private life.

I've gone by both First and Second names at different times/countries/media careers, and I answer to either depending on where I'm hanging. But I dig quiet more than ego.
Combined with my Surname, there are a few waaaay more famous Canadians who provide ample web cover.. . and I see no upside in Heisenberg violation, so Pseudonyms FTW.

</TooMuchInformation Redacted>

Off-topic (click to toggle):

I ask relatives to untag me in Flickr or FB images if without my consent.

Curiousity is why we're here, IMO.
We live in fascinating times and spaces, and if we don't explore we stagnate.

I'm Curious... and I was neither rural or urban (more suburb) when first signing up to AI, and moving to AN... welded = Curiousuburb.

I'm fine with 'Burb for short, but have discovered that a unique username provides both anonymity and google-fu to rediscover any prior posts quickly.
This is awesome as my brain cells bravely sacrifice themselves to provide me with wisdom, stimulation, pity and/or novelty.

I was Space Asplorer Expert </propsMoogs>, but then was a ringbearer Positronbearer, hence Antimatter Man. I had teh POWAH!!¡
Still seeking ideal T-shirt.

</TooMuchInformation Redacted>

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2010-06-27 at 19:06. Reason: editng FAIL
murbot
Hoonigan

2010-06-29, 12:11

I slowly awoke one afternoon in late December a few years ago, in a puddle of vomit, head pounding like nothing I'd ever felt before. Another night of binge drinking, drugs, and women. I knew it had to stop.

Mindlessly channel surfing, wearing nothing but urine soaked boxers and a five o'clock shadow, I stumbled across something amazing. The story of Mary and Joseph. I felt as though I could turn my life around. I almost watched the entire thing before passing out again.

12 hours later I'm dragging my feet through a dark alley looking for my guy. He's usually by the dumpster. While attempting to place my order, I had a flashback to that show. To the 3 wisemen. I quickly changed gears.

"Make that a fifth of mihr."

"Mihr?"

"Yeah, problem with that?"

"No, uh, here you go."

I went home with my little bag of mihr and hammered it down. Unfortunately it wasn't mihr. It was crystal meth. The strong stuff. I didn't realize this for some time though.

I didn't sleep for 9 days. I was a machine. I did things you can't imagine. I was like a robot, man. A robot on mihr. A mihrbot.

Unfortunately I can't spell when I'm high, and I'm too lazy to change it back.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-06-29, 12:48

He wins.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-06-29, 12:56

Ummm.. What the fuck is Mihr?
Noel

2010-06-29, 13:10

I think he means myrrh.
murbot
Hoonigan

2010-06-29, 13:13

Shit.

*toke*
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-06-29, 13:16

FRANKINCENSE, BEEEYOTCH

I'm out
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2010-07-01, 06:06

OK in have arrived a little late to this thread but i am now here! Although saying that my username isn't that interesting.

Nikstar101: Basically when i was young there was another Nick i knew therefore i decided to spell my name Nik rather than Nick, to differentiate myself. And the number 101 seems a little different and crazy (at the time!!).

Therefore when i came ot get my first email address i used Nik and 101 but that was taken and i think Yahoo suggested adding the star part. Therefore i have continued to use it for the past 12 years or so. As i am not fond using my surname on the net.

To be honest i really want to think of a new ID but to be honest I can never think of a good one..... I liked Talking Coyote (as in that one form the Simpsons episode where Homer eats the insanely hot chilly) but that might sound crap in a few years too...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-01, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
To be honest i really want to think of a new ID but to be honest I can never think of a good one..... I liked Talking Coyote (as in that one form the Simpsons episode where Homer eats the insanely hot chilly) but that might sound crap in a few years too...
I don't think I'd ever be able to change my username to anything actually different, here or elsewhere. It would just be weird -- I think more people call me "Robo" on a daily basis than call me by my real name.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2010-07-01, 11:16

In a fit of unrelenting creativity, I came up with... my last name.

My old one was a reference to (at the time I signed up) my college, which is now my employer. I figured some of the shit I say here doesn't reflect wonderfully on them, so I asked Brad to change it.

I never really make a secret of my identity online, though. If I'm doing something that I don't want publicly known, I don't talk about it online.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-01, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
My old one was a reference to (at the time I signed up) my college, which is now my employer. I figured some of the shit I say here doesn't reflect wonderfully on them, so I asked Brad to change it. "
It took me a few seconds to remember your old name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt
I never really make a secret of my identity online, though. If I'm doing something that I don't want publicly known, I don't talk about it online.
That's probably smart.

I talk about stuff online all the time that I couldn't really talk about offline. In a lot of ways Robo is more my "real" identity; make of that what you will ("Wow, Robo's a nerd!"). I cover my tracks (and yes, I do cover my tracks!) mainly because I don't want to get other people in trouble, or don't want to be associated with people who are in trouble, which is why there's some things I notably avoid talking about.

Still, a really dedicated person/stalker could probably connect me to my "family," which is like the only thing I don't want people to be able to do. (I mean, seriously, you guys think I would hide anything else? I'm like freaking Oprah. ) Luckily, I'm nobody famous or important or rich. Security through obscurity!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-07-01, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
In a fit of unrelenting creativity, I came up with... my last name.
Aw, man...I thought it might've been a cool Earp reference/tie-in!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2010-07-01, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Aw, man...I thought it might've been a cool Earp reference/tie-in!
Nope, but I do have a funny story related to that.

My dad teaches at a jr. high. He told me once that on his first day there, he of course introduced himself to his students as Mr. Wyatt. In his first period class, almost immediately, a hand shot up. Before my dad even called on him, the student blurted out, "Are you related to Wyatt Earp?"

Yes, my dad had to explain to an 8th grader how last names work.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
zsummers
Avast!

2010-07-01, 12:28

First initial, last name.

I've wanted to change it since about month four here. The only thing worth telling about it is this: I used a different handle than my usual internet handle because I thought, "Jeez, these guys are Mac geniuses. If I give them my most common user name, they'll be able to hack my computer in no time." No kidding. Oh, what a dumb little novice I was (and continue to be).

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-07-01, 12:31

Ohmigosh...

I can see that, yeah.

"So are you, like, a cowboy or something? Are Kevin Costner and Kurt Russell your brothers?"