AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Mechanical Keyboard for Mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mechanical Keyboard for Mac
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-25, 13:08

So I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard for Mac. While I'm not looking to hear click all the time, I really think it will help my ergonomics and productivity while spending days on end for my job at this thing. I know Das Keyboard is said to be great and all, but I know there has to be more options that just them. I don't mind that price, though clearly the lower the price for a quality product the better.

Anyone have some good suggestions on a mechanical keyboard for Mac? Bonus points if it can be converted to PC also for those times I might need it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-06-25, 13:52

Matias
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2018-06-25, 15:07

I've used the Das for a number of years and like it. Obviously, the price is high, but it's nice and sturdy and I've never had a problem with it.

Haven't used any of the other ones out there, but have been tempted to get a smaller footprint one, but I need the 10 key for when I'm doing my accounting work.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-06-26, 18:50

When you say "mechanical" do you automatically mean "Cherry MX switches"? I ask because, I hope one day to have a desktop setup again and to have a clickity-clack keyboard.

tomoe
Veteran Member

2018-06-26, 19:54

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com is a solid resource for buying mechanical keyboards. I don’t use one myself coz laptop. However, my PC gaming friends really like Ducky—relatively affordable and a good range of Cherry MX switch types and layouts (ie full vs tenkeyless)

EDIT: r/mechanicalkeyboards is an informative subreddit for finding more info too
Eugene
careful with axes

2018-06-28, 03:38

WASD Keyboards.

I personally use a Topre RealForce, which isn't Mac specific, but the keys will be mapped correctly when you plug it in and go through that one series of key presses.

Topre's mix of spring actuation and rubber domes has the best feel and lack of clackiness to me.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-28, 08:25

Drew, I'm specifically not specifying MX Cherry switched because I know they aren't the only mechanical switch out there, but they are one of the most advertised.

Y'all have given some great input here! Thank you very much. Ducky is a brand I've heard before too...though that was back when I was going to have one that did RGB and all. Now at best I would want backlit but not even sure about that. I'm not open to blank caps, but more "normal" is where I'm at.

I've always thought I had to have the number pad but in thinking about it I guess I really don't. I'm not doing data entry or accounting work and don't use the numbered much anymore. I guess I should be willing to let that go. Maybe it's just the law of Primal Training, it's what I was taught so I stick with it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-07-16, 11:00

Currently I'm using the standard Apple USB full keyboard:

I think I really could get away without having the number pad though. Most of the time I'm using this thing I'm running a VM or Remote Desktop session that doesn't recognize the number pad anyway. I lean to the DAS just because of the reputation and my familiarity with the brand.

Still looking to Matias and WASD now though. I just really need to make this upgrade happen sooner than later.