User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Diablo 2 on MacOS X Leopard

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Diablo 2 on MacOS X Leopard
BlueApple

2009-06-28, 09:36

I've been thinking of getting the Diablo 2 pack and install on MacOS X Leopard. I know Blizzard has a MacOS X installer, but does it work on Leopard? And how does it run?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-06-28, 09:45

Do you know how to use google? Seriously, this was the second hit. There's a link to a patch on blizzard.com, yada yada. There's also a long thread on apple.com about it (it was the first hit using the creatively phrased search term "diablo 2 leopard" in teh google). I didn't read it so I don't know the answer. You can at least do *that much* for yourself.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
BlueApple

2009-06-28, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Do you know how to use google? Seriously, this was the second hit. There's a link to a patch on blizzard.com, yada yada. There's also a long thread on apple.com about it. I didn't read it so I don't know the answer. You can at least do *that much* for yourself.
You didn't read my thread thoroughly I guess. I have already stated that I know there is a MacOS X patch, but I'm asking user's experience under Leopard.

Also, I forgot to mention that I'm using Intel C2D iMac.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-06-28, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueApple View Post
You didn't read my thread thoroughly I guess. I have already stated that I know there is a MacOS X patch, but I'm asking user's experience under Leopard.

Also, I forgot to mention that I'm using Intel C2D iMac.
Did you read the thread on apple.com?
Partial
Stallion

2009-06-28, 11:21

Dude, lay off Tori. You've posted plenty of googable stuff too. Ease up.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-06-28, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
Dude, lay off Tori. You've posted plenty of googable stuff too. Ease up.
You're right that I should ease up. Still such an easy query should have been googled first.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-06-28, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Do you know how to use google? Seriously, this was the second hit.
From his post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueApple View Post
I know Blizzard has a MacOS X installer
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-06-28, 12:31

For what it's worth, MacUpdate's page for that updater has an update date of "27 Jun 2008", which is well into the life of 10.5, but two comments near the top that seem to indicate that it may no longer work:

Quote:
doesn't even launch on my 2008 mbp.

10.5.3/10.5.4, 1.1.2 patch.
Quote:
Like StarCraft, 10.5.3 breaks the game.
And yet another that seems to indicate that it may work:
Quote:
I hear 10.5.5 fixes the 256 colors issue with Diablo II. Can someone confirm?
So, nothing too conclusive there.

The VersionTracker page for it has similar comments.
Quote:
Tried on a Intel 1.66 Mini with 10.5.4, Diablo II loaded fine and updated to 1.12a easily. Game would start, allow the picking of a character and take you to the first level, Then crash 10 seconds after your character starts walking. By crash I mean kernel attack, reboot the machine crash. Great game just didn't play on this machine with this OS.
Quote:
Using a Mac Pro 2.66 Quad with 4 GB RAM, and running 10.5.3 with all updates. D2: LoD crashes when launched. Reinstalled the entire game, and reapplied 1.12a. Reverted to 1.11b, still crashes
Quote:
If you have an Nvidia video card, it's mostly that which causes the crash. 10.5.3 breaks Starcraft and D2 on macs with Nvidia hardware and the latest OS update. A driver bug.
Quote:
Apple released a Mac OS X patch 10.5.5 today and it resolves the startup issue with Diablo 2 on my Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo. I am also able to run with millions of colors, in stretched 800x600 mode without a CD in the tray.
Quote:
I have the latest OS X 10.5.5 Leopard and updated with the 112a Carbon patch but Diablo 2 keeps crashing. I just bougt the game and used the OS X installer to install the game.
So, again, not really conclusive, but it seems that it works at least for some people.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kyros

2009-06-28, 13:55

It's been working fine for me using a "beta" patch I found by some creative googling. Apparently someone at Blizzard released a fix, but it's not part of an official patch. You won't be able to play on Battle.net with that. You also have to make sure to switch the video to software accelerated or something like that by holding option when you open the game, but I think the readme describes what exactly to do there.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-06-28, 14:16

I got my version to work recently by installing it on my Windows partition. That's the only method I've found that works so far... I got bored of it and erased it, though, so other methods might exist.

Has anyone tried Cross Over? It might be able to handle it decently...

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-06-28, 14:26

Huh, there's an idea - I have an old copy of Diablo (1) that won't play under Rosetta/Classic. I forgot that Blizzard used to ship most games as dual-OS versions... I'll have to see if it has a Windows version on it I can use instead. Keen. Thanks, Swox!
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-06-28, 16:28

No problem

I think they still ship their games as dual-booters. They did with WoW, anyway.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2009-06-28, 23:33

You know, I'd love to play D2 again, but last I'd tried on 10.5, there were some HUGE issues that had happened. Literally, the app wouldn't launch. Sadness. If the only fix that's come has been unofficial, then that is disappointing. I'd love to play on Bnet.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Kyros

2009-06-29, 10:29

Yah, unfortunately there's currently no way (that I know of) to play D2 over BNet on an intel mac. However, I think they said they are release patch 1.13 with the next ladder reset, so the beta fix should be in that patch officially.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-06-29, 16:34

Blizzard now has digital distribution for SC, Diablo D2 etc.

Go to blizzard.net and make an account.

Say you want to register a game.

Enter the serial # for the game, and it will give you a digital download of it with a new keycode.

Download and play. Works fine, was playing just the other night as a matter of fact.

I am running 10.5.7 server on a Xeon PowerMac, not sure you can get a less likely to be supported install of the game, ran flawlessly.

Played on Bnet, created a ladder char etc. It all worked perfectly.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-06-29, 19:06

With what graphics card, alc? My understanding is that it's specific Nvidia cards/chipsets that Apple broke in certain 10.5 OS updates. Blizzard isn't the only software vendor affected, just the most popular.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2009-06-30, 09:00

Ah, not sure if that tower has the ATI card or the NVIDIA card. I'll try and download the installer and play on this laptop, see if it works.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2009-06-30, 19:46

working fine here, both D2 and LOD.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 3.png (615.2 KB, 19 views)
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-07-01, 07:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
working fine here, both D2 and LOD.
Oooh, I might have to reinstall this on my MBP.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-07-01, 15:45

Thanks for the info alc. I have yet to be able to get D2 working on my Early 2008 Mac Pro, AND I LURVES IT. I actually installed it into Windows in desperation. I will try the new download method.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2009-07-01, 15:58

I'll give it a shot tonight.