User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: 1.9 - Regen or Wipe?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: 1.9 - Regen or Wipe?
¡Damned!

2016-02-06, 13:19

After the trim we have a couple of options. 1) Trim the unused chunks and regen the world with the old/current seed, or 2) trim and regen the world with a brand new seed. Which may lead to cliffs, or swamps, or anything really. It all depends on the seed.

I have so many questions.

After we do the trim of our 1.8 world, we still have some sort of underlying data that wouldn't allow chests and goodies to respawn. So, with 1.9 bringing tons of underground Strongholds, if we keep the same seed will the underground mixup make keeping the same seed worthwhile?

If we wipe out the unused chunks and then go with a new seed we'll get some 'cliffs of Jeb', obviously, but is a new seed random or picked by an overlord? I wouldn't want that job.

Apparently we can run 2 seeds in tandem, so we won't have to give up all the work done in the Nether. I would like to explore the idea of wiping the End with the new seed though. Rebuilding the XP trap out 500 blocks or so is a cinch.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-02-06, 14:02

I suppose that, because of all the dragon business, the End wipe makes sense.

I do not want to wipe the Nether if we can avoid it. We've put so much work into it, it just makes no sense to have to redo it. AGAIN!

As for the overworld, I don't mind the cliff issues. I vote for a new seed if it can be done without wiping the work we've put into it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-02-06, 22:43

I obviously defer to our active users.

Building a new home base would be lots of fun, though if we do preserve our home bases I'd of course love to keep what I have now (my skellie grinder home area).

I have a lot going on right now so no time to come play

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-02-06, 23:07

I'm against wiping everything. I'll deal with cliffs and such knowing that there will be issues like that to deal with. Basically I would say keep the same trim that Brad recently did and then we can stick with the new seed or not. That part doesn't really matter to me. It will all be exploring anyway.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2016-02-08, 20:12

I vote trim and regen trimmed areas with a new seed. Cliffs be damned!

I'm actually curious to see what would spawn around my place out west.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2016-02-08, 21:47

Can someone explain for the slower players (ie: me) what advantage is conferred by using a new seed for the regened area? (Or what disadvantage using the old seed gives?..)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-02-09, 01:30

Advantage: New terrain and biomes for new explorationing!

Disadvantage: Cliffs of Jeb and whiny 709
¡Damned!

2016-02-09, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Can someone explain for the slower players (ie: me) what advantage is conferred by using a new seed for the regened area? (Or what disadvantage using the old seed gives?..)
As I understand it, there are 'markers' in the current seed that get stored if an area is visited. So let's say we've visited a village in our current world/seed. If we regen with the same seed the village would still be there, but villagers and chests would be gone. Same kind of thing happens to temples and strongholds (and I'm sure mineshafts), where the structure might still be there but the chests and sometimes spawners are gone.

Now, 1.9 boosts the amount of strongholds per world from 3 to 128, so who knows how that underground stirring might help or not.

The advantage of wiping and then regenerating with a new seed (beyond new exploration) is that hopefully the new seed brings new structure/village/etc markers and the previously explored area outside of the trim gets new goodies.

Cliffs of Jeb don't bother me so much – but I might want to save another chunk of water around the Guardian Dropper and maybe one near arteggio's castle? Grendagle's island? Just for aesthetics sake.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2016-02-09 at 09:56.
¡Damned!

2016-02-09, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Building a new home base would be lots of fun, though if we do preserve our home bases I'd of course love to keep what I have now (my skellie grinder home area).
I'm still on board with starting a new 'roughing-it' place somewhere South. Certainly not 16K blocks out now that that's getting wiped, but maybe a few thousand.

So it goes.