Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Pocket PC advice sought

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Pocket PC advice sought
regelfolgen

2005-11-19, 22:11

Hi,
I have a 17" iMac G5 2.0Ghz, which I love. I could, however, do with a portable device that I can use for typing up lecture notes at university. I would have an iBook, but the weight/mugger-attractant things are issues.

So, I'm looking for some sort of small, PocketPC type thing, which will take a fold-out keyboard, which can run Word (or similar) and will connect via BT to the iMac so I can transfer texty files between the two. I'm not bothered about syncing with iCal or Address Book as I never use them. I don't need a phone built-in, or anything like that, nor do I want to spend a lot of money.

Would an HP ipaq be a big faff with an iMac? Are they compatible for sharing Word files? Are there any advantages in having a Palm rather than something running Windows mobile PC?

Cheers.
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2005-11-20, 01:45

I don't know about pocket pc. but Palm works pretty well, it comes with something called documents to go, which allows you to open, edit, and create microsoft word, powerpoint, and excel files. I think they have this for pocket pc as well.

Oh, btw, pocket pc isn't officially supported for mac by the manufacturers. To sync you'll have to buy this little diddy called The Missing Sync. Which can be seen in the link below

http://www.markspace.com/products.html

As with advantages, I believe pocket pc is better at multi-tasking that palm os is, palm is a one-application-open-at-a-time sort of OS; I find it very very stable because of this but some just can't live with that sort of usage. My family has always been a palm family ever since my dad tried using Windows CE 3.1, could never get the thing to sync with our computer. It's still collecting dust in a shelf behind me (8 years old now). I use a Tungsten E2 and find it suits me well, a charge lasts me 4 weeks if I use it only for scheduling. I use it as an MP3 player sometimes when I don't feel like lugging an ipod in my already full pockets and play some videos I compressed for it when I'm bored (though the psp does the job better because of it's bigger screen).

I got my Palm Tungsten E2 for 150 dollars. For some reason my Office Max had them for $199 (usually 250) and also had a $50 dollar rebate on it. I think that was a good price

Hotsync for palm also works with isync if you enable it, allowing you to use iCal/address book instead of palm desktop. Which is a nice little feature. But the missing sync would allow you to do so as well for pocket pc.

Hope that helped a bit.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Ichiban_jay : 2005-11-20 at 01:52.
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2005-11-20, 07:43

I'd say Palm would be better with a Mac. BT sync is pretty nice; though takes forever with my LifeDrive. If you want a handheld with a keyboard, look at a SONY Clié. They are older, and cheaper. You will need Missing Sync for a though. Really the Cliés are the only non-cell Palms with a keyboard and Bluetooth. IMO, why would one with a Mac get a PPC?

Timm
regelfolgen

2005-11-20, 17:58

Thanks for the responses. I'll probably end up getting a Palm of some sort, especially since there's a nifty wireless folding keyboard available. I was in fact looking at the Tungsten E2. It's very reasonable, especially in comparison with ipaqs.

I had a look at the Sony Clie, only to discover it's no longer sold in Australia and some of them seem to have a Blackberry-ish keyboard which is fine for texting, but hopeless for actual 65+wpm typing. They looked quite nice, though - for a Sony.

Would I need the Missing Sync even if all I want is to transfer Word files? As I said, Address book and iCal are pretty much dead features given how I use my Mac.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-11-20, 19:47

Pocket PCs sync BETTER than Palms when using the missing sync. Of course, since you just want to transfer files, it may be a moot point. But there are some definite advantages to the PPC, despite the fact that all you want is to move files (and you wouldn't even need to install ANY software on either the Mac or PPC). You can mount the Mac on the PPC wirelessly and transfer stuff manually. It's a piece of cake if you want to go that route.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2005-11-20, 20:53

If you get a current Palm, you wont need Missing Sync - docs or not -, as there is a Docs to Go conduit with Hotsync Manager.
CSmith1367

2005-11-22, 23:55

I have had better luck using PocketPC for Mac instead of the missing sync.
I would still much rather have an Apple PDA!
Mikester

2005-11-23, 05:26

Also check out www.pocketmac.com for PocketPC adaptability.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-11-23, 07:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester
Also check out www.pocketmac.com for PocketPC adaptability.
Ugh. Ugh. And triple ugh. Use The Missing Sync instead. www.markspace.com. Much better software. MUCH better.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2005-11-23, 07:44

I'm partial to Sharp's Zaurus myself...

this is the SL-C3100

I personally have an SL-6000...

It came with a Hancom Office Suite which allows me to edit Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files
Mikester

2005-11-23, 08:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Ugh. Ugh. And triple ugh. Use The Missing Sync instead. www.markspace.com. Much better software. MUCH better.
Explain?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-11-23, 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester
Explain?
Where to begin?! To start, PM puts stuff in the /System folder and makes actual changes to files that the computer NEEDS to start up. So, if something happens to the program (like an uninstall fails), you are in deep shit. Seriously. It will render your computer inoperable. This is common practice on Windows, but it's seriously frowned upon in the OS X world. That right there is enough to keep me from ever using it again. (And I own a license to both PM and TMS.)

Also, it can't handle exceptions to repeating appointments. And the way it doesn't handle them is inconsistent. So you can't reliably tell how something will sync. Furthermore, since TMS has been upgraded to version 2, it's the ONLY syncing solution (iSync and Palm included) that sync the categories you've chosen on your handheld for your appointments (if you're using iCal and addressbook). In short, it's a shoddy program that "works" but TMS is a much better program.

Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-11-23, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by regelfolgen
Hi,
I have a 17" iMac G5 2.0Ghz, which I love. I could, however, do with a portable device that I can use for typing up lecture notes at university. I would have an iBook, but the weight/mugger-attractant things are issues.
If those are your only reasons for not getting an iBook, just buy a $20 sleeve for it and stick it in a regular backpack. 2kg on your back is barely noticeable and there is nothing to attract a mugging.
regelfolgen

2005-11-23, 18:45

Koodari, 2kg is noticeable in a backpack if you're also carrying 3kg law textbooks and have back problems already! I had a laptop - admittedly a POS HP - and it almost never went outdoors, and not just because it was rubbish. It's also an issue for an impecunious student to spend $1000 more on something I only really need for one more year. Hence, the compromise.

Hmm, the Sharp looks neat, although availability in Australia looks dodgy. Does it have the option of a bigger keyboard? The keyboard issue is important, as I can't type fast on something Blackberry sized. I'm not looking for a PDA per se (I use my head for that), but a small, cheap alternative to a laptop.

I may well end up with a Palm E2 and a keyboard. The Palms are more reasonable than PPC, and I don't expect to need it for aeons.

I'm still mildly confused - is the Missing Sync needed for mere transfers of M$ Office docs on a PPC? Surely the answer is no.

Thanks very much for all the responses.

Ha, it would be so much easier if Apple decided to do a PDA again. *sigh*
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2005-11-23, 20:03

The keyboard is a little small as it's intended for Japanese users. Personally, I don't have any problems with it, even though I'm a fairly large guy. More recent models of Zaurus (including the two posted pics of) have USB host functionality which allows you to use USB keyboards.

However, this is currently unsupported by Sharp and not everything works without a hitch. A zaurus requires a great deal of tinkering to get it how you want it. After that, it's totally the best PDA you can buy

You are correct that it would be tricky to get ahold of one in Australia. Perhaps there is an Australian company that imports them from Japan and localizes them, similar to Dynamism

If you just need it for taking notes, many people find the TRS-80 Model 100 quite handy.
regelfolgen

2005-11-23, 20:30

RE: TRS-80, Yes....very convenient. It's certainly got all the computational power I could ever want. Puts my iMac to shame. Not to mention the portability!

Or, I could just continue using ye olde trusty quill and parchment.

I've seen the odd Zaurus on ebay, but they've either been more expensive than I'm prepared to cough up for a toy, or user-unfriendly for my purposes.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2005-11-23, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by regelfolgen
RE: TRS-80, Yes....very convenient. It's certainly got all the computational power I could ever want. Puts my iMac to shame. Not to mention the portability!
I was serious !
podit

2005-12-02, 03:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsLan^
I was serious !
lol
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-12-02, 03:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsLan^
I'm partial to Sharp's Zaurus myself...

this is the SL-C3100

I personally have an SL-6000...

It came with a Hancom Office Suite which allows me to edit Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files
They are amazing aren't they?
I have one from back in the early 90s.
They were colour with touch sensitive screens even back then....
I was just blown away when I saw them and had to have one...

I would guess that the one I had then would still be usable compared to a lot of modern PDAs.

It's stashed somewhere at my Mum's house now... Probably in the same box as my Newton and my really old Apple Laptops..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-01-03, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Where to begin?! To start, PM puts stuff in the /System folder and makes actual changes to files that the computer NEEDS to start up. So, if something happens to the program (like an uninstall fails), you are in deep shit. Seriously. It will render your computer inoperable. This is common practice on Windows, but it's seriously frowned upon in the OS X world. That right there is enough to keep me from ever using it again. (And I own a license to both PM and TMS.)

Also, it can't handle exceptions to repeating appointments. And the way it doesn't handle them is inconsistent. So you can't reliably tell how something will sync. Furthermore, since TMS has been upgraded to version 2, it's the ONLY syncing solution (iSync and Palm included) that sync the categories you've chosen on your handheld for your appointments (if you're using iCal and addressbook). In short, it's a shoddy program that "works" but TMS is a much better program.
Thanks tori.

The good lady inherited a hand-me-down of a Toshiba e570 and only yesterday bought her first ever computer ... 12"PB

I stumbled across PocketMac, but your comments have steered me away from it.

One question though ... will the Missing Sync for Pocket PC be able to sync iTunes songs for her ... or is it a matter of ripping everything in mp3 format and manually dragging them across to the Pocket PC - presuming this can be done in the first place?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-01-03, 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
One question though ... will the Missing Sync for Pocket PC be able to sync iTunes songs for her ... or is it a matter of ripping everything in mp3 format and manually dragging them across to the Pocket PC - presuming this can be done in the first place?
Well, it *can* be done, that's for sure. I've never tried iTunes syncing, so I can't speak for that. From the webpage, it doesn't look like it does. I'd recommend moving the music via a card reader, since it's MUCH faster. Or, if that model has wifi, you can transfer things using the built-in webserver. I wrote up a tutorial a while ago here. It may be slightly dated, and you may not need it, but just in case.