AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

I am tall; help me shop.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I am tall; help me shop.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-12-07, 21:21

Okay here's the deal. I'm a 6'6" 270 pound guy who can no longer wear sweatshirts and fleece pants (because I have a real job). However, since I spent the majority of my years just wearing what ever was comfortable/fit I never really found a good place to shop that caters to my type of person. As you can see, I am quite large. The worst part about my height is I have HUGE shoulders. They're broad and they make everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING short. I am constantly wearing shirts that I roll the sleeves up on because they just aren't long enough and I look like a goon if I don't.

Are there any stores out there that are good for tall people. Also, I'm looking for stores that ARE NOT the Big and Tall (so help me God if a certain some one signs me up again for that newsletter....)

The main thing I'm looking for right now is a business like wool winter coat. However, I am also just looking for a place to shop normally.

And All That Could Have Been
Wrao
Yarp

2008-12-07, 21:30

I'd like to help, I'm 6'4 myself, but I think that 6'4 is about the cut-off when it comes to 'being able to find clothes that fit everywhere' versus 'needing to look a little harder'. So, I don't think I would be all too helpful, especially since I know less than nothing about buying clothes. I primarily wear athletic wear, stuff that is light, comfortable and fits, and I live in a climate that does not demand anything more than shorts and a t-shirt 24/7/365. I quite like board shorts, because they look like regular shorts on me. Although, now that I think about it, most t-shirts don't really 'fit' me either... meh. clothes...

All that being said, I think that most major department stores do have a big and tall section, so you won't have to feel like one of 'them', and you can still get a shirt with extra long sleeves.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-12-07, 21:32

Big and Tall Stores?
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-12-07, 21:35

The problem with Big and Tall stores is that they basically cater to "Big," and not so much tall.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-12-07, 21:36

What about custom clothing?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-12-07, 21:37

I usually look for brands that comes in sizes with T (e.g. XLT, or XXLT) and use only that brand.

Furthermore, I have to be particular with what materials and how it is made; avoiding thin cotton because they go bad after one wash. Thicker cotton in a polo shirt that's sewn in a certain pattern (I don't know how it is different, I just know by feeling it) usually works OK.

A co worker did once mention to me that online catalog usually carry wider range of sizes than normally found in stores so you could go to say, LL Bean and find the size that will fit you. I've not yet come to that point partially because I hate the idea of throwing my money for something that may or may not fit me and look good on me. What I see on catalog and what I actually look with it on can be quite different, so not quite willing to experiment there.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-12-07, 22:02

How about the online catalog and stores called Casual Male?

I don't know if they are the same as the Big and Tall types of places, but I suppose it's worth a look.

You said you are looking for "a business like wool winter coat".

They have this topcoat that's a blend of wool and cashmere for $250. Don't know if that's the kind of coat you mean, but if not, they have other things available. Mainly, you have to be clear about the *kind of coat* you're talking about.

They have sports coats, car coats, pea coats, top coats, rain coats. So, "a business like wool winter coat" is too non-specific and could mean just about anything.

Also, I see tv ads all the time for a place called Men's Wearhouse. Probably worth a check.

"This elegant topcoat is a velvety soft blend of 70% wool, 20% nylon and 10% cashmere."

http://www.casualmale.com/store/en_U...05&id=cat10079
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2008-12-08, 01:29

Eddie Bauer. Seriously. They make almost all their shirts in regular and tall sizes, and have a very wide range of inseams on their pants. Not to mention, they do just about everything from business to casual to outdoors to Arctic.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-12-08, 01:56

I can't find any clothes that fit really nicely because I'm tall, broad shouldered, but very slim, so every shirt fits my arms, but there's enough extra material elsewhere to make another shirt out of!

Wish I had a recommendation, but I just accepted that shirts will be a bit funny on me and gave up.

Pants are easy though - I get them all at Tilley Endurables. Canadian made, tough as nails (the washing instructions are "give 'em hell!"), and they have long pants with slim waists. Not sure about bigger waists though.

Good luck

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
JohnnyTheA

2008-12-08, 02:06

I am 6'3" and well.. a little heavier than you.. Regardless though, I have a 37-38 inch sleave, so I can't exactly buy normal shirts (even if I was in better shape). I find that JC Penney is pretty good with their Big&Tall selection. If you have to wear long sleave shirts, you might try them. They usually have XL, XL-Tall, 2XL, 2XL-Tall, etc.. sounds like you might need a normal XL-Tall..

The other option is for fitted clothes. For pants, its not too hard. A lot of the higher end stores like Nordstrom (my wife doesn't think they are high-end but I do) have pants where they tailor the length. They also have a larger selection of sizes of shirts.

JTA
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2008-12-08, 07:35

Over here some shops have different sizes online that you won't get on the shop.

I am 6'4" and I have a look round Next for jeans I like, but the shop only does 36L (33" leg) in the shop - but on the website I can order 36XL (35" leg).

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Mancomb Seepgood

2008-12-08, 15:51

Us short guys would love to have your problem.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-12-08, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancomb Seepgood View Post
Amen
Wrao
Yarp

2008-12-08, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancomb Seepgood View Post
Everyone! ceiling high-fives!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-12-08, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Everyone! ceiling high-fives!
Doesn't mean I can't jump high
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-12-08, 17:38

Could be worse.... If you're of the "short and slightly fat" persuasion, then although the stores make clothes in your size, they are always sold out, because "they're the most popular size, they always sell out".

I dunno, maybe they could consider MAKING MORE OF THE POPULAR SIZES? Guess not.
Enki

2008-12-08, 20:16

I'm 6-7, 260+ but I don't have the shoulders you do. Nordstrom is good for suits/jackets when you can shop one of their post xmas or Fathers Day timed sales. They have good sizing and tailor the suits a bit as part of the purchase. You also can't go wrong with their no-iron shirts that won't wrinkle immediately while you are wearing them. Yes, they are a little pricier, but I haven't bought anything there that has got run out of the closet because it sucked or didn't fit right which cost me less in the long run compared to trying to cheap it out.

Mens Wearhouse also on occasion has done OK by me.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-12-08, 21:17

Hello, again. What *KIND* of wool winter business coat did you mean??? Below is a woolen blazer. Again, not sure what kind of coat you want!

Here's another company whose ads I keep seeing on tv lately - Jos. A. Bank.

(The main reason I remember the name is that he was a scientist in England in the early 1800s, and is a non-fiction character in a naval adventure series I've been reading, where he is a scientist and head of intelligence for the Royal Navy, roles in the book as well as in real life.)

Quote:
New! Signature 2-Button Wool Navy Blazer- Big or Tall

Sizes 52-60 in Regular/Long/X-Long

NAVY

Description:
Meticulous construction. 2-button. Premier Bemberg lining. Sleeves constructed for the addition of custom working buttonholes. Soft shoulders and center vent. Fine worsted wool.enter vent, or Navy unvented double-breasted. Scalloped facing provides a clean finish.

http://www.josbank.com/IWCatProductP...duct_Id=480751
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2008-12-08, 21:41

Kohl's always has a tall selection. I found a few dress shirts there before.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2008-12-08, 22:27

Wow, I never realized AppleNovians were such a tall race.

Add me to the tall man's club - I'm 6'4". Shoulders not as wide as I'd like, though.

I've had good luck with Lands End and Eddie Bauer big and tall sizes. Large Tall seems to be my sweet spot.

As others have pointed out, you definitely get a better selection of sizes online.