User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.
Page 25 of 28 First Previous 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-12, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
You see, I'm a fan of tall buildings (unless you haven't figured that out by now) and noticed something going up that reminds me of a certain tower with a bit of "101" going on.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-12, 23:19

Climb to the top and jump. It is awesome!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-13, 04:27

One of the most architecturally interesting buildings on the planet. Just … cool!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-28, 00:53

Minor recommendation to the unknown road builder NE of Bradtropolis...

Despite the mismatched driveway leading into Lulu's parking lot, the standard road width is 1 double slab, 7 stone, and 1 double slab, but it looks like your road fits 8 stone in the middle instead of 7. Might want to narrow by one to make it fit the rest.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2015-12-28, 13:40

That's me...but then how do we make it fit the existing stairs away from your building...?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-28, 15:23

True, true... I'll adjust to make it the standard road size! I originally built the building in a previous world detached from any existing city structure. I hadn't settled on a common road width, and I had built the driveway to match real-world sizes. So, luck would have it that they don't match.

Easy fix, though. I'll take care of it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2015-12-28, 17:07

Roger roger.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-12, 11:30

I'm looking to build an automated wool station that will provide all colors of wool. I'm looking at right next to the community exchange. Minimally it will be 4x18 but I'd like a little more to "pretty" it up. Any objections?

I'll also need to terraform near the stairs but you get the idea.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-12, 11:35

Tear it down!
¡Damned!

2019-07-12, 12:05

Maybe just a leeeetle over? Let the build breathe I say!

Maybe center it with the old train station (now reed farm) a handful of blocks south? That would give you a flatter area to work with and more room to make it pretty.

[edit]: I put some (green) concrete block markers in:

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2019-07-12 at 12:31.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-12, 14:32

Yeah, I'll move it. The extra space really would help me do something with the building around the sheep shearer.

Something isn't working with it right now. For some reason when the sheep eat the grass it doesn't actually "eat" the grass so the observer doesn't know it ate and needs to shear it. Brad, is there some setting in our server that prevents the sheep from eating the grass?

Edit: https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-151692
So the issue is mobGriefing is currently set to false, it isn't a bug it is the intended setting. Do we need mobGriefing set to false on our server? I mean, it is nice to not have to worry about Endermen and such but it means my wool factory won't work.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2019-07-12 at 15:10.
¡Damned!

2019-07-12, 15:29

I'm all for turning it back on. Can't think of a specific reason why it's off since Brad majicked in the 'safe areas' (mooshroom fields).
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2019-07-12, 17:38

Holy crap I started this thread over 11 years ago...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-12, 22:15

Wool farm is mostly done!

The back of it is open if you want to look inside. I need to finish up the back so I can access the dispensers and restock shears as needed. We should be able to get about 5 stacks of wool per shears. I might try to build the roof a little taller to add chests and hopper refills to the dispensers. That is part of why I'm not closing the back up yet.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-13, 22:43

So I've been leaving my player in the game AFK since building this and it is slow to fill those chests. It would certainly be better closer to the spawn point or just needs to be expanded by a decent margin. I could make it three times deeper and have it fill the same chests but it won't look very pretty other than the front since they would be solid walls surrounding it.

It does work as expected now though! There is automated wool on demand!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-14, 00:01

Very cool creation, turtle! I just now got to peek at it. It's so much smaller than I imagined it would be. That's some pretty impressive redstone-fu there.

Speaking of that side of town, I've started the slow process of converting the community exchange from chests to barrels (since 709's recent discovery about chests hurting general performance in the 1.14 thread). The barrels certainly aren't as pretty as chests, and it stinks that they can't "double up" like chests, but hopefully it's worth it to save some FPS as we're walking through that area.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-14, 08:39

When you're all done, let me know. I'll go in behind you and leave a bunch of random chests scattered all about.

edit: Never mind that. My 2011 13" MBP is loving the effort.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2019-07-14, 10:35

Very nice T! I'll have to remember that stationary hopper/minecart trick... it's a good one.

Brad, good call on the barrel swapping. I'll go through the reed, cactus and kelp farms and replace what I can of those this afternoon.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-15, 11:55

Thanks for the feedback guys! I enjoyed building this one for everyone. I've tippled capacity and only increased the footprint by about 10 blocks deeper. It's done other than filling the hopper chests on top with shears. I'll get that in a little bit. In retrospect, wondering if I should have used barrels and hoppers? Do they work together?

Last edited by turtle : 2019-07-15 at 13:07.
¡Damned!

2019-07-15, 15:30

I don't remember if this was a Bukkit thing or a previous version of MC, but there used to be a time that we could reset the day via sleeping if someone was AFK. Is that something that's possible in 1.14? I was able to do it the other night when Brad was on, but I assume that's because he's the Controller or something more powerful and ominous and he's not subject to the normal player laws.

[edit]: Just to be clear, the problem isn't people going AFK (everybody does that to grow farms and test contraptions), the problem is MC's rule that *everyone* has to sleep to invoke daylight. Just wondering if there's a workaround, that's all.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2019-07-15 at 16:07.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-15, 16:10

Yeah, and /back while you're at it!
¡Damned!

2019-07-15, 16:37

/back always felt a little cheaty, even if it was SO fun to use.

1.14 is nice. Its cleaned up a ton of bugs and pretty much all of the dupe weirdness.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-15, 16:55

I don't think there is a workaround now. I think that was bukkit only. If I'm on an you want me to reset the clock I'd be happy to... if I'm not AFK letting the grass grow that is.

¡Damned!

2019-07-15, 17:48

It's not a big deal. Just makes the night builds in the wilderness scarier, which some of us old-school players should probably embrace. Like the early days.

Although I may ignore Ken's messages of "sleep?" ... "sleep plz" ... "um, sleep???" ... "SLEEP??"...

I love to watch the levels of frantic ramp up.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-15, 22:58

There's a scary little man with a bottle of suds running around in the night.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-17, 10:56

So are there chunks that stay active 100% of the time? I thought at one point it was the four chunks near spawn but not sure. I'm looking to build and underground automated farm that will feed chests on the surface and would like it to be running 24/7. I can replace the one behind my turtle beach place but it would be nice if it stays active. I guess I would look to see the time stamps on the chunk files when no one is logged in.

Edit: Hmmm..... Looks like there might be an option called /forceload that can allow for certain chunks to stay active AND grow crops and grass. Spawn chunks do stay active but the grass doesn't spread and crops don't grow. That would limit the need to build an automated farm there.

Last edited by turtle : 2019-07-17 at 13:30.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-28, 17:36

Please forgive the crudity of this model! About this little empty lot under Zilla's left foot and on the museum side of the street…

I was thinking about constructing a small demolished building directly under and around her foot. I would dig up the ground to lay some would-be parking area for it as well. I'll try to keep the scale appropriate to its surroundings.

What are your thoughts, 709? If you have other plans for that area, I'll gladly shuffle around to some unrelated construction ideas I've been pondering.

¡Damned!

2019-07-28, 17:57

Absolutely go for it! I wasn't really sure what to do with that area other than some potential townhouses along the waterway, but those sort of things will be better placed somewhere else.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-28, 18:44

Ooooh. I love the idea of townhouses on the waterway. I think I’ll spend a little more time planning offline to incorporate that into the neighborhood.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-07-28, 18:59

I have constructed a technology demo Blue Ice Hyperloop next to the road in the North-East corner of the road system. (North of the Museum, near the Colour Wheel.)

It goes as far as I was able but I ran into an amazing waterway tunnel that belongs to someone. I didn't realize anyone was north of there, tbh!

Anyway, go test it out. It allows for frankly ludicrous overland speeds but sadly does not allow for any kind of level change.