User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.
Page 5 of 28 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-12-18, 01:16

I blame Brad, since he told me it was unclaimed, LOL!

Relocated. Here's the new claim.

And yes, I should have checked first. D'oh! I'm not picky as long as I get dirty water.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-12-18, 01:29

For future reference, I think land claims are best if done with a top down view of the map.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-12-19, 18:51

Is there any opposition to my claim? There's a random line of torches in that area, but I don't see any huts or anything like that. I'd like to get started ASAP, so confirmation would be epic.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-12-19, 18:57

I think I dropped those torches while searching for clay. So, no objections from me.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-19, 20:28

I sure do wish somebody could build a haunted house with secret revolving bookcases and surprise monsters. You'd of course have to go in with wooden swords and no armor or enchanted objects. You have 10 months to finish it for gosh sakes.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-12-22, 13:27

Well now that I've built my portal into the western snow biome I think I had better lay out my land claim there.

As you can see it is quite expansive as the rink alone has a 100x100 footprint without outside landscaping. I'll also be adding outbuildings to be part of the complex. I'm also claiming a lot of the periphery on this landmass to control the landscape aesthetic. You guys can create some nice stuff, but I want to maintain control over the area of a mega-project like this.

People are welcome to come visit and set up on areas outside of this. I think we may have to setup snow gathering areas as I notice some green areas on those screenshots that are new. Separate portals are easy to install now that the main path has been built.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
arteggio

2011-12-26, 11:15

Are plots along the laid routes freely available? I'm eying the hill right south of Delphi's Souring Condo, to the east of the SWiFT pad and between the two W-E roads.

And if I can have that plot, can I build an aesthetic retaining wall running south of the SWiFT pad until the road? I can visualize a nice cascade down the center. (Someday.)

EDIT: Oh, and: basement or no basement? From what I can see, no subway tunnel should be within the vertical shaft of that plot, but would only touch the southern side.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-26, 12:25

Plots in center of town should be smaller than that, arteggio. What you have asked for is the size of common use buildings; if you want to build something that large, look to the edges of the city, including areas that have not been terraformed yet. Half that size is completely appropriate for in town development. Also to re-iterate: please no exceedingly tall structures. If you want to build a tower, please restrict land claims until *after* everyone else has had a chance to build.

As for basements: if you encounter obsidian while digging: no basement (there are other things below town than future subway lines) -- there is also no horizontal digging allowed, and be warned there isn't much unexplored down below.

As for walls: I do not believe there should be fences or walls in town. If you want to adjust the terraforming, that's fine, but your chosen project *should* be open to the public and that means no inhibition of access.

Edit: and finally, please post overhead view of claimed plot.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-12-26 at 12:39.
arteggio

2011-12-26, 15:48

I've been reading up on the inner-city regulations in the threads, but couldn't find too much concrete.

The wall: I didn't mean so much a No Trespassing barrier as a lovely, low-grade water cascade leading from the pad to the other road (designated by the arrow). Just something I visualized, and it would be perfectly open to the public. But, I don't think I will get to it too soon; I wish to rebuild myself in the new world first. Between eating requirements and potion possibilities, I feel a lot like a noob again. If others come along and wish to build over that line or something before I could get to it, that's okay.

If there are no precise block-count restrictions, in game I shall measure whatever half-way is between the two roads and take the quad-side half.

...Though, because of the regulations, I suppose I will seek out a personal land grab and save a little city cottage or something for later. Is it fine if I claim that city plot and leave it vacant for a while? If not, that's fine too, and that plot can be considered undeclared land unless I come back before someone else! I don't want to take it when others could make use of it.

So, is this marvelous mountain up for grabs? On the map it's dark, and I'm about to go check it out in-game. I would really like the whole range to the left and right of the central bit there, but is such hogging okay for that much terrain? I may not get to all of it for a good while. So much to do...
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-26, 16:11

The mtn is open as far as I recall (as in almost all land grabs thus far have been limited to the flatlands of swamps).

As for the city no one has claimed a spot there, so given the aforementioned size constraints, its yours -- label it discreetly with signs and perhaps fence posts...
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-27, 03:37

As we discussed in game tonight: There should be time limits on land claims.

I will refrain from suggesting any guidelines with the recognition that these things are hard to enforce, but you shouldn't make a land claim that you will not forseeably get to within, say, two weeks to a month. That is, if someone comes along and posts a claim on the land after that time AND starts construction, there's not much you can do about it except look for a new claim.

If you do have lots of big ideas wrt what to build, it is only fair to everyone else that you hold off on claiming land until you are actually ready to start construction. Locking people with shovel ready projects out of claimed but unused land just increases world bloat. We don't want that...
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-12-27, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
So, is this marvelous mountain up for grabs? On the map it's dark, and I'm about to go check it out in-game. I would really like the whole range to the left and right of the central bit there, but is such hogging okay for that much terrain? I may not get to all of it for a good while. So much to do...
You may want to check with grey (709) in regards to the mountain chain as he has claimed the swampland immediately to the southeast/backside of the range with the potential to be taking down one mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
As we discussed in game tonight: There should be time limits on land claims.
I will refrain from suggesting any guidelines with the recognition that these things are hard to enforce, but you shouldn't make a land claim that you will not forseeably get to within, say, two weeks to a month. That is, if someone comes along and posts a claim on the land after that time AND starts construction, there's not much you can do about it except look for a new claim.

If you do have lots of big ideas wrt what to build, it is only fair to everyone else that you hold off on claiming land until you are actually ready to start construction. Locking people with shovel ready projects out of claimed but unused land just increases world bloat. We don't want that...
This is a good idea with maybe two caveats:
1) If a claim is going to be used on a project for the benefit of all, I think it can stand claimed but unused for a good while (i.e. grey's AN museum complex).
2) If a claim is out in BFE (see: the rink winter claim), I think it stand over a longer timespan than say one closer to town.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
arteggio

2011-12-27, 13:43

'Mm, yes, that is closer than I recalled. If the highlight's fairly accurate, my claim of the central mountain should be safe (along with the new house upon it...). The removal of the east mountain would be fine.

I'll wait for grey's call before exploring any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
So, I was thinking about the Museum Complex over in BP and the possibility of someday getting it moved over to TN. In scouring the map the only place I've found that seems to work is a swampy/plain area E of Old Spawn:

Just wanted to put that out there while there's nothing over that way (yet). I may need to take down one of the hills depending on orientation, but that's not a huge deal. Brad - when you move structures from one world to the next is the direction fixed, or is it possible to rotate?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-12-27, 18:54

So I am going to make a rather large land claim for a rather large project. I'd like this mountain-y area south of the peninsula:

To get a sense of where that is exactly, here's a night shot, with Mob Hill at the top and the outline of grey's swamp at the bottom:

Note that this is just a very general, preliminary claim, and I'll post something more exact once I figure out exactly where the castle will go and what part of the forest beyond it I will need, &c. Just take this as a suggestion not to build something in that general area, particularly on the mountaintop with the flames on top. It's going to be a very large project.

Since I also claimed the peninsula, which seems to have become a point of contention for bb, I'll give up the bulk of the peninsula that I so lovingly terraformed. I liked Bryson's idea to make it into a park, although I also think it'd be nice to have a park closer to the heart of the city, too.

Thanks again to grey for showing me the fantastic spot.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
arteggio

2011-12-27, 20:10

I'm formally requesting this parcel of swampland (about -1120 65 230) for the transplantation of my beloved Artheim castle.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-12-28, 12:05

Guys, use the overhead view with your claims, too. It's the far right of the "Day" views. Gives us a more specified area.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-28, 16:29

Robo and arteggio's claims are OK by me.

Since I've "finished" my distant Fantasma Valley city (go check it out if you haven't already! ), I'm ready to claim a lump of land to do some legitimate mining. The big mountainous island on the right half of arteggio's pic looks nice and unclaimed. How about it?

For context:

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-28, 16:37

Care to share brad? I am feeling a little hemmed in....
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-28, 17:05

I was hoping to find a quiet mountain to mine alone mindlessly for a while. If that's too close to you, bb, say so and I'll hunt for another place.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-28, 17:58

Alright, go ahead... it's yours... I will talk to drew about the coastline north of the Sky Atoll.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-28, 19:46

If anyone builds on the coastline near me I would prefer that it not be pixel-per-pixel replicas of real world structures or massive "weenie" types of "stunt" projects. Having said that, all I really care about are the mountains directly within sight of my mountain home. If someone built similar structures to mine I might be cool with someone moving relatively close to me.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-01-12, 16:16

So, due to lobby redesigns, I need to extend my claim for the TerraNova Arts Centre about 20 blocks south. It's nowhere near anything else (and behind the Arts Centre, in deep forest, so terrible land) so I imagine it'll be fine. I've taken the (rather large) liberty of blasting the shit out of it with TNT already....

It makes my TNAC plot now 61x81 instead of the 61x61 I originally thought.

As for time limits: I feel bad about Long Island. I won't get around to building the AN sign for a good while, so if anyone else has a burning desire to settle Long Island then I could find another site (or just not build it ever.). Or....we could make it a nice community project and all do it together!

Linking to the map live seems a bit hinky right now (about 400 blocks too far south) but I think this will work:
http://mcmaps.applenova.com/#layerId...Z=446&zoo m=4
¡Damned!

2012-01-12, 16:24

I like your idea for Long Island... if you want to make it a community thing all the better.

When I initially saw the island on the map I thought about making a claim for some Easter Island type thing, but given that I had (have) a few irons in the fire already I thought it greedy. If you'd allow, I may take the backside of the island for some large stone mob totems. They may even make a nice backdrop for the new AN sign.

No issues with the TNAC expansion at all.

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-01-15, 01:38

I'd like to build myself a house across the street from the TNAC site:

Like this:

I'm hoping that's ok?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-01-15, 02:10

Fine by me, Bryson.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-01-22, 20:23

Small ocean grab here…

Any objections? I may use more of the surrounding ocean area later, but this is where the first structure is going, at least.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-01-22, 22:39

Brad I kind of had my eye on that same spot.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-01-22, 23:15

I've actually already started laying the foundation, but I can zap it to another location if the group votes against it. Did you have immediate plans for the area? Otherwise, I think the "first come first served" doctrine applies.

What I'm building needs to be far out in the middle of an ocean, and this was the closest one that fit the bill. Plus, it has the perks of being close to my other big project and begin far away from civilization (since some folks don't like the sight of rampant resource cheating, which this structure and the ones near it will have).

I'd prefer to keep the current location, but I'll propose an alternate to the group: the middle of the ocean between "new spawn" (near Bryson's home) and the future site of the AppleNova sign. Would anyone else prefer (or oppose) I use that location instead of my current one? Keep in mind that I will likely build up more islands once the current structure is complete.

On a related note, I'm hereby relinquishing my claim to the larger land mass around my last project of Nurmengard. Neighbors are welcome to build or mine around that area. If bobsky returns, he's free to set up camp on the coast if he's still interested.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-01-22, 23:32

Dare I ask, is this a creative mode or a regular mode project? If the first, I prefer option A as it's probably out of sight of my house...
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-01-22, 23:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Dare I ask, is this a creative mode or a regular mode project? If the first, I prefer option A as it's probably out of sight of my house...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
What I'm building needs to be far out in the middle of an ocean, and this was the closest one that fit the bill. Plus, it has the perks of being close to my other big project and begin far away from civilization (since some folks don't like the sight of rampant resource cheating, which this structure and the ones near it will have).
So, there you go.