Domain name "put to sleep"?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Domain name "put to sleep"?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-04-26, 03:45

Hey all. I just had a quick question.

There's a domain name that I wanted to buy. The good news is that it expired on January 15. The bad news is that on January 14, it was "put to sleep" and can't be registered.

I've never seen that before. Does anyone have any idea what that means?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-04-26, 04:37

It may be detagged? But then that doesn't seem to match quite right to me...Someone more intelligent will help you!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-04-26, 08:11

I have never heard that term.. But there is a period after a URL goes out of it's registration period that it cannot be registered again. That is to protect someone from snapping up your tasty URL just because you were a day or two late renewing it. Perhaps that is it.. As I said I have not heard the phrase 'put to sleep' before, but it would fit that description. Have you googled 'put to sleep'?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-04-26, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
I have never heard that term.. But there is a period after a URL goes out of it's registration period that it cannot be registered again. That is to protect someone from snapping up your tasty URL just because you were a day or two late renewing it. Perhaps that is it.. As I said I have not heard the phrase 'put to sleep' before, but it would fit that description. Have you googled 'put to sleep'?
Yeah, all it returned is a couple punny headlines regarding Pets.com going out of business and general PC questions.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2008-04-26, 22:22

after a domain expired they have like 75 days or something to renew it before it becomes available for purchase. I tried to buy a domain from a cybersquatter who stole it from me a day after it expired and lo-and-behold he renewed it after he realized there was still demand. I now own the trademark to that domain and can take it back through the courts in a couple months. Took me a year to get to that point though.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-04-27, 02:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
after a domain expired they have like 75 days or something to renew it before it becomes available for purchase. I tried to buy a domain from a cybersquatter who stole it from me a day after it expired and lo-and-behold he renewed it after he realized there was still demand. I now own the trademark to that domain and can take it back through the courts in a couple months. Took me a year to get to that point though.
But even with those 75 days, it should have been open for reservation at the end of March, right? It's been, like, 100 days since the domain was "put to sleep."

Do different TLDs and their governing bodies have different rules?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2008-04-27, 02:41

yea, actually they do. there is no set rule on that, only guidelines. It sucks.
AWR
Veteran Member

2008-04-28, 06:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
Usually a cheaper, faster way to wrest a domain back from a cybersquatter - WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center. That said, just having trademark rights in the domain name (or part thereof) is not an indication of likelihood of success (in and of itself), although maybe you knew that.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2008-04-28, 13:09

Yea, I heard of that and another anti-cybersquatting law I could use to sue them, but this way if it goes to courts, I can have them pay for everything when they lose. I'm a scrooge. Otherwise I have to front the cost and that is a whopper for me for a domain name.

AWR
Veteran Member

2008-04-29, 02:30

True, just make sure you're sure;otherwise you may be stuck with the legal fees sans domain name. Good luck, and let us know how things work out.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2008-04-29, 14:15

haha! oh yea. That crossed my mind too. But I have proof the name I want was in use publicly since 1999 and the current owner has "no ligament use" defined by the anti-cybersquatting laws