More Like Year of the iPod...
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
blissed

2004-07-19, 18:38

So when are the mini's getting updated?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-19, 18:42

Updated? Hell, when are they going to ship in any sort of predictable, reliable quantity?!?

Update, my eye! That's putting the cart before the horse a bit.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-19, 18:50

Yeah, they don't need to update them, they need to ship them in volume before they start updating them.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-07-19, 18:54

just give them a firmware update to iPod 3.0 and get those puppies shipping

g
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-19, 22:27

On a different note: "Apple claims immediate availability of the new iPod, and Hewlett-Packard has confirmed that its HP-branded version of the iPod will be based upon the fourth-generation design, and available in September."

Obviously, Apple is sitting on the 60 GB model because HP will introduce HPods with the current capacity of the Apple iPods. My bet is that Apple will let HP make its Pod announcement, then Apple will unveil the 60 GB as their very own, high end iPod.

Apple will have the mini and the 60 GB exclusively, HP will get the 20 and 40 GB model. That's what I think.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-19, 22:48

That makes a lot of sense actually. Wow, I didn't even think of that.

Keeps Apple one step ahead but expands the iPod market. I'd love to see that happen.

Come waste your time with me
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-19, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
That makes a lot of sense actually. Wow, I didn't even think of that.

Keeps Apple one step ahead but expands the iPod market. I'd love to see that happen.
See, I'm good for an idea every now and then.
Cam'Ron

Send a message via MSN to Cam'Ron  
2004-07-20, 10:07

so is the 60gb taking a little extra time because it'll have the colour display? makes sense, you want a significant amount of space to be putting movies and photos on there. i dont think it'll just be a 60gb ver of the same thing.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-20, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'Ron
so is the 60gb taking a little extra time because it'll have the colour display? makes sense, you want a significant amount of space to be putting movies and photos on there. i dont think it'll just be a 60gb ver of the same thing.
You're kidding, right?

The 60 won't have a color screen, none of them do now so it would be stupid for the 60 to get one. Can we say, "grossly overpriced"?

blissed

2004-07-20, 12:48

Nothing ever stopped Apple from trying to make a quick buck... I heard the hold-up on the minis was the earplug jacks were failing after about 24 days of use. Just makes static noise after that. Bad design. Don't they test these things?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-07-20, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissed
Don't they test these things?
Of course not.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-20, 19:55

Apple ships a gift certificate with the new iPods for some free music, I think $5 worth from the iTMS. Is this new?
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-20, 20:47

I bet the iPod mini will get a price drop fairly* soon, that'll be it's update.

*measured in months
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-20, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I bet the iPod mini will get a price drop fairly* soon, that'll be it's update.

*measured in months
That is probably right on, and it would be a good enough update for most people. There are just a lot of people who don't need more than 4 GB of storage, so pricing the mini within the grasp of more people will keep it selling strongly.

And why not give it a couple new colors. Rid of that gold and blue.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-20, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
And why not give it a couple new colors. Rid of that gold and blue.
not likely, but maybe further down the road when it gets its first major overhaul.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-20, 21:41

Hello? Didn't that Think Secret story from a week or so ago mention "purple, yellow and orange" iPods? Now, at the time, it was supposedly talking about the new 4G iPod, however they printed an update talking about some "confusion" on that front.

Well, common sense tells you that there was "confusion" and that these three colors were talked about in relation to the iPod mini. Think about it: what three common, very popular colors are NOT currently represented in the iPod mini line-up?

Yep...purple, yellow and orange. A total no-brainer. The iconic white of the standard iPod was never in danger of being monkeyed with. These are colors belonging to the aluminum-bodied minis.

I'd bet the farm on this one.

If/when an iPod mini update ever comes, these three cool-ass colors will be added to the existing five. Will make for GORGEOUS web pages, posters and in-store displays too!

Tell 'em Paulie sent you...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-07-20 at 22:10.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-20, 22:27

Looks good. Especially the yellow one! nice work.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-07-20, 22:56

Very nice indeed.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2004-07-20, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Hello? Didn't that Think Secret story from a week or so ago mention "purple, yellow and orange" iPods? Now, at the time, it was supposedly talking about the new 4G iPod, however they printed an update talking about some "confusion" on that front.

Well, common sense tells you that there was "confusion" and that these three colors were talked about in relation to the iPod mini. Think about it: what three common, very popular colors are NOT currently represented in the iPod mini line-up?

Yep...purple, yellow and orange. A total no-brainer. The iconic white of the standard iPod was never in danger of being monkeyed with. These are colors belonging to the aluminum-bodied minis.

I'd bet the farm on this one.

If/when an iPod mini update ever comes, these three cool-ass colors will be added to the existing five. Will make for GORGEOUS web pages, posters and in-store displays too!

Tell 'em Paulie sent you...
Could the blue be a little richer in color and not so baby blueish?

lol
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-20, 23:49

Very cool Paul, I like the orange one, but it could stand to be a darker orange.

BTW-I know the thinksecret mix up was about the iPod mini, I was refering to it when I said "maybe they could throw in some new colors too."

Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-07-21, 01:20

All this iPod talk is giving me an itchy credit card finger... must resist urge to purchase a non-colour screen iPod.

btw - Paul - nice work on the colour mock-ups. If I do succumb, it will be in a minor way to a mini iPod - just enough for the repertoire of a few select bands - or a few dozen spoken word CDs perhaps.

I'll rip and then port my entire CD collection (and photos etc) to a genuine "big brother" iPod when the colour screens rock up - I can't bring myself to splurge such a significant amount of cash on something that I think is not quite where it should be yet! (if that makes sense)

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2004-07-21 at 01:22. Reason: typo
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2004-07-21, 04:33

Nice, Paul. I remember when the iPod minis were first announced - I was all "OMG! I'm gonna get a yellow one!" and then they didn't have it in yellow.

Yellow is my favorite color. So if the rumors of the new iPod minis are true, I'll be at my nearest Apple Store, cash in hand, the day they are released - especially if there's a corresponding price drop and/or HD bump.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-21, 05:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
Could the blue be a little richer in color and not so baby blueish?

lol
I didn't touch the blue one, or any of the original colors.

Just used the silver one as a jumping off point to make the three new colors...
blissed

2004-07-22, 11:50

So how does Apple reason their pricing? The minis are only $50 cheaper that the NEW 20 gig model.

Has anyone seen these New Models yet? What is the difference in size to the mini. Are colors available?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-22, 11:53

apple.com/ipod

No, no colors. They're the same size as the 3G ones, just slightly thinner front-to-back (about 1mm seems to be the word).
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-22, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissed
So how does Apple reason their pricing? The minis are only $50 cheaper that the NEW 20 gig model.

Has anyone seen these New Models yet? What is the difference in size to the mini. Are colors available?
Reason for pricing: profit. Always the way

The reason the minis are only $50 cheaper is due to the fact that they cost more to produce, relatively speaking of course. I'd venture a guess to say that the 4gig drive in the mini is more expensive than the drive in the 20 gig.

The new models are not available in colors...as for size:
Direct from Apple

So you're looking at a .07 inch difference in thickness, .5 inch difference in height, and .4 inch difference in width. Not all that much larger. I'm really excited about getting mine

blissed

2004-07-23, 11:45

Sweet. They look almost identical to me. I wish they'd have that nice silver/metal finish on the new iPods though. I wonder why they chose not to offer it yet. Any thoughts on plastic vs. metal casings?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-23, 13:35

Plastic vs. Aluminum (by the way, it is aluminum, not metal...just to clarify that for you.) is mostly to distinguish between the iPod and the mini right now. The iPod has such wide recognition due in large part to its unique clean design and bright white color. Apple would be stupid to change that drastically.

kcmac

2004-07-23, 13:48

The shell of the mini is a very smart, very durable design. I would hope to see the whole lineup move to this in the future.

In the mean time, I look forward to receiving my new iPod this coming Monday.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-07-23, 13:53

you forgot weight...3.6 oz for mini, 5.6 and 6.2 for iPod 20 and 40

so what is the sweet spot right now for an iPod??

since i have a 3G model, i think i might get the mini for running, biking and use at the gym...

if i didn't already have an iPod, i might go for the 20 gig model instead....

of course the wait (as opposed to the weight) might also be a factor

iPod 20 and 40 ship within a couple of days
iPod mini ships in a freakin month!!

hoping the iPod 4G models steal from the mini so apple can catch up some

thinking of going green

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough