Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-03-16, 12:47

How about if all 6 do?

Hello 3 minute mile.

¡Damned!

2006-03-16, 12:50

I've been trimming the fat lately. Entirely too tiring.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-03-16, 14:17

I just did 2.5 miles in 15 minutes. Not a terrible start, Ultimately I'm shooting for maximum distance and not speed, but a gain is a gain.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-03-16, 15:08

Murbot, there are studies that show the opposite of what you said. The same goes for weight lifting. It can really help with mental acuity, apparently.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...00cee793cd____

However, listing W. Bush as an example of someone who has benefited from running...well...that won't help build the case...lol

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-03-16, 15:36

Well, the article says that there's no great brain benefit from solo exercise, but I think it's in the context of while you're exercising. Certainly, being in better shape helps your brain too. I know that running distance is pretty montonous without distraction, and you tend to tire more quickly, feel sore and want to stop sooner since you have nothing better to think about than what your body is doing and going through. Runnig with headphones helps, but having a running buddy is a whole lot better; it can be really great to have a conversation while running actually. I recommend for anyone who can't seem to get on a regular running routine to seek out a running buddy and try that. I used to love taking long runs in the early afternoon as a student with a friend and let the conversation drift and enjoy the scenery.

Doing a little recalculating.... 1.7 mile trail around East Campus done in 15-16 minutes is.... bad. But at least it's a casual pace. I should try it harder again and check my time when I do it.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-03-16, 16:15

Probably 7:something... I haven't tried since last fall. Running really fast never did much for me.

I'm more built for endurance though... I can hop on my bike and all day (hills and rough trails included) without getting tired.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-03-16, 16:26

I'm trying to build up lung capacity right now because I'm learning to box. Running the mile really hard a few times a week, and running for distance on the other days is really helping to build my endurance to the point where throwing a ton of punches doesn't tire me out so quickly. In 1 minute of punching, you'll feel more tired than you would after running 3 hard miles.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-03-16, 16:59

Do jump rope too. Seriously. Very tiring very quickly.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-03-16, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
Do jump rope too. Seriously. Very tiring very quickly.
That's very true, jump-rope is wildly good for building endurance and coordination. I need to get back into that routine.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-16, 17:50

7 seconds....

Airliner.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-03-16, 18:10

5.37 microseconds... I am light.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-03-16, 18:41

My real time is 5:08.26, but I'm in high school and run everyday. I should be well under 5 minutes by the end of track season. I'm a freshman though...

My dad ran a 4:06 in college when he ran for Kansas State, and he still gets out and runs with our XC team a lot.

If you are looking to train and stretch out to get in shape, try yoga! Seriously, our high school team does it every week and it really gets you feeling good afterwords. It is also harder than it seems...

My 5k time is around 18:20

I
zsummers
Avast!

2006-03-16, 21:47

The first thing I'm good at here... 4:28.

My goal when I was in eighth grade was to run a sub 4:30. I was running around 4:50 back then, and it took me until my senior year to drop it under 4:30.

Now, though, I am old and slow. Oh, for the days I had a full-head of hair and was light on my feet.

Good luck to you, World Leader Pretend. And don't ever stop running... you'll end up like me.
Fooboy

2006-03-20, 20:22

4:45
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-03-20, 20:28

Looks like Fooboy runs faster than he types!
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-03-20, 20:38

1.5 miles in around 11:30. Used to be I could run the same in a bit under 10, but that's before my job practically required me to live on sodas and junk food for years at a time.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-03-20, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode
1.5 miles in around 11:30. Used to be I could run the same in a bit under 10, but that's before my job practically required me to live on sodas and junk food for years at a time.
How can a job do that?

You could always get some food online and have it delivered to your location very cheaply and quickly.

The trouble is...a sedentary lifestyle will lead to health problems regardless of diet. So, it just plain sucks to have a job that requires you to be OYA all the time. I understand and anyone in that situation has my sympathy. :/

kaseyha

2006-03-20, 22:12

I wish I could still run. When I was biking 30 miles a day (high school and college years) I could run a 5:20 mile. But, the body is getting old and my knees suck, oh well. . . I can still bike though.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2006-03-20, 22:21

I hate running. hate hate hate running. I could run a 6 minute mile all day long in my youth and I would curse all day long.

I actually did a lot of it when I was in the Navy (Cursing and running), usually sandy, wet, cold, and exhausted from PT. (Note: I am not talking about boot camp, that was sleep walking at best)

So you can run a fast mile, go run 5 in the sand go swim one and go run 5 more in that damn sand.

This is a shot from my first TriAthlon I had just finished the run and was about to mount my bike.

Mile 1

Last edited by oldmacfan : 2006-03-20 at 22:29.
Batman

2006-03-20, 22:23

Like DMBand0026, I last ran the mile on the day of a swim meet (in which I beat all of the other team's breastrokers I'll have you know), running it at about 6:10. I probably could have gone faster, but I didn't want to totally kill my muscles before the meet.

Sometimes ... things that are expensive ... are worse.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-03-20, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
How can a job do that?

You could always get some food online and have it delivered to your location very cheaply and quickly.

The trouble is...a sedentary lifestyle will lead to health problems regardless of diet. So, it just plain sucks to have a job that requires you to be OYA all the time. I understand and anyone in that situation has my sympathy. :/
It's rather difficult to get food delivered in anything resembling a timely fashion to an aircraft carrier steaming in circles in the middle of nowhere. Thankfully, I won't have to worry about that anymore; I'm transferring to shore in a couple weeks.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-03-21, 00:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode
It's rather difficult to get food delivered in anything resembling a timely fashion to an aircraft carrier steaming in circles in the middle of nowhere. Thankfully, I won't have to worry about that anymore; I'm transferring to shore in a couple weeks.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-03-21, 00:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyha
I wish I could still run. When I was biking 30 miles a day (high school and college years) I could run a 5:20 mile. But, the body is getting old and my knees suck, oh well. . . I can still bike though.
I am pathetic, I am in my mid twenties and can barely bike ten miles on a bike with a good clip...

Of course, it isn't physical exhaustion at that point -- my hips just lock up...
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-03-21, 02:01

About two and a half seconds...

Air France Concorde.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-03-21, 02:23

I just lay in bed and let's the Earth's natural rotation do all the work for me. Heck, that way I even run miles in my sleep.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-03-21, 02:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
5:46
Is that on a bike?
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-03-21, 03:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artap99
I just lay in bed and let's the Earth's natural rotation do all the work for me. Heck, that way I even run miles in my sleep.
Cheater.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-03-21, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
This is a shot from my first TriAthlon I had just finished the run and was about to mount my bike.
That's an interesting Tri. I've only ever seen/done ones where the events are Swim, Bike, Run - in that order (although I've also done a Bi, which was Run, Bike, Run).
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-03-21, 06:58

I've broken World records in 1 mile race and several other track events.

Several times, in fact.

Here's me about to break yet another record.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-03-21, 08:20

Back in junior high I ran a sub 5:30, and I wouldn't be surprised if I got to around 5 minutes in my sophomore year. After some of the injuries I sustained in hockey, namely breaking my leg last year, I probably couldn't handle running a mile again just yet.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards