User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Airport or Airport Express with laptop and two desktops

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Airport or Airport Express with laptop and two desktops
shanagrafix

2006-03-22, 19:58

I have a powerbook 15inch laptop, an archaic G4 desktop that I really only use for file storage, and a PC. I don't really care about the mac desktop but its important that both the PC and the laptop have internet access. Currently I have a router and can only be plugged in to use the internet on my laptop. I would really like to get wireless internet so I can move my computer 10 feet to the couch (my apt is small).

My question is, if I get teh airport express, will that work for both the PC (which does not have a wireless card - i am thinking of hooking up the airport to the router, but i dont even know if that will work) or do I need to buy the regular airport basestation for this to work,a nd will it even work with a PC (which is brand new and running the latest version of windows).

please help! thanks.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-03-22, 21:04

No G4 towers, nor the cube, can take airport extreme cards, you would need to get the original airport card, or a PCI based solution. You would need a router with wireless transmitter, or the airport basestation, for the airport card to work. The airport card would not work in your PC, you would need a window compatable card for it.
shanagrafix

2006-03-22, 22:28

hmmm I think we are talking about two different things.

I have a router already with 3 computers hooked up to it. I want to buy the Airport Express for $129, hook it up to my router, and hopefully use it as wireless internet for my laptop, keeping the other two computers connected through ethernet cables to the router. is this possible?

if not, then can you recommen a wireless router that would work on a mac powerbook? My parents have a wireless router at their house and when I bring my laptop there, it does not keep the signal and constantly logs me off, its unusable. thanks!
shanagrafix

2006-03-22, 22:32

Or if I buy a wireless card for the PC (i just searched, its $23), will both computers be able to surf wirelessly with airport extreme? forget the g4 desktop, its really unimportant.
techound1

2006-03-23, 18:41

Yes, both a PC and a mac work wirelessly on airport express together - I'm currently running two macs (PB G3 and iB G4) with a PIII Win XP and PIV Win XP. When we get iTunes pumped to the express on the stereo, wireless printing, and a couple of big downloads going all at once, things slow a bit. Other than that, it's great!
shanagrafix

2006-03-24, 10:23

Thanks! We bought everything yesterday online, hopefully it will arrive soon!
shanagrafix

2006-03-30, 11:55

its all hooked up and works fabulously! i can bring my laptop anywhere in the apartment and get full bars of wireless connection and the PC works great with the wireless card we bought.

right now the other mac isn't hooked up but thats fine. its now a glorified external harddrive.