Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Games in Win XP BootCamp

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Games in Win XP BootCamp
Stacker

2006-04-08, 05:09

Hello

I'm a newbie to mac in the sense i'm still just saving up money to buy one. My only concern was the gaming issue, which seems to have been solved by BootCamp. The BootCamp thread featured a lot of talk, but not much from people who have tried playing games. What I was interested in knowing is how different games function. I'm a Dungeons and Dragons Online palyer, anyone tried this? Hope people have som experiences to share about different games they've tried.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-04-08, 09:15

Boot Camp is a full Windows OS. It's the exact same thing as what you're using now, if you're on a PC. The only thing that XP on a Mac changes, is the way that the system boots.
Stacker

2006-04-08, 09:30

Yeah, I know that, just wondered how the mac's are at palying games. Thought I heard something about the 3D drivers not being best yet(for win XP). Was thinking mostly specs and how they handle new games. But I guess most mac people don't have a lot of win games lying around
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-04-08, 09:36

Yes, before Boot Camp, the OnMac.net project had XP running on the new Intel Macs, however, it did not have video drivers. As of Boot Camp, the video cards are fully exploited, but I think you're looking for something more along the lines of this: http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/04...php?lsrc=mwrss
Kit Fisto

2006-04-08, 10:04

Try looking at www.hardmac.com and http://www.macobserver.com/macosnews/ has a list of most of the Mac sites.

edit: and try this: http://www.theinquirer.org/?article=30845

Last edited by Kit Fisto : 2006-04-08 at 10:15.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-04-08, 10:38

Last I'd read the MacBook Pro was the fastest windows laptop on the market. Just an FYI.
Kit Fisto

2006-04-08, 10:54

That is here
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-04-08, 12:57

This site has a video of an iMac playing Half Life 2 in Windows. As far as I can tell, it runs just fine.
Stacker

2006-04-08, 14:44

Thanks for the answers and the links. Just needed some examples of games on the mac.I was going to buy a mac either way, just nice to know i have a gaming option if there is no mac edition.. Can't wait till I have enough money saved now
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-04-08, 20:04

I posted my experience playing CoD2 in the other thread. I'm going to play some more with it tomorrow.
jbsengineer

2006-04-08, 20:58

Speaking of Games on the WinXP side of the MBP. I was just at the local CompUSA store and the CompUSA guys had FEAR installed in Windows on a MBP playing away. To me I felt they should not have installed XP on a demo machine. But whatever.

MacBookPro 2.0, iPod 60GB, iMac 17" 1.9 iSight, iBook 14"
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-04-09, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsengineer
Speaking of Games on the WinXP side of the MBP. I was just at the local CompUSA store and the CompUSA guys had FEAR installed in Windows on a MBP playing away. To me I felt they should not have installed XP on a demo machine. But whatever.
Actually, I think that's pretty cool. Gets some excitement going over there.

I've been having a problem with CoD2. I'm very early in the game, at the "demolition" phase of "winter war". I get the bombs set, I clear out of the building, it explodes and that's it. I can't do anything else. It's like it's just stuck. I can move around, etc. but nothing seems to work. Previously I got stuck at the end of the training mission where the C.O. doesn't move after the grenade exercise is done. And before that with the grenade exercise. I'd hit my targets and I'd never be able to move on.

I solved those problems by starting another game but I think that's going to be less of an option as I get further into it. Is it my computer (or bootcamp) or is CoD2 buggy?
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-04-09, 01:06

Bah, all of you and your newfangled 3D first-person realtime murder simulators... how about y'all play some REAL games?

(OK, so only one of those is technically a Windows game...that's why God created DOSBox.)
rollercoaster375

2006-04-09, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
I solved those problems by starting another game but I think that's going to be less of an option as I get further into it. Is it my computer (or bootcamp) or is CoD2 buggy?
Boot Camp does nothing after the inital boot - if there's a problem, that's not causing it.