User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

XP Pro v. Home for BootCamp & Parallels

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
XP Pro v. Home for BootCamp & Parallels
Mac Donald

2006-06-16, 18:33

Is there any reason to get Pro over Home for bootcamp and/or parallels? The only thing I would be using windows (mainly through parallels) for is running a couple of basic programs -- publisher, access, and a couple of others that are unavailable on the Mac. Also, I might use BootCamp to try out a few games. Is there any reason why I should pay extra for Pro????

Someone hacked my signature. I demand an investigation.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-16, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Donald
Is there any reason to get Pro over Home for bootcamp and/or parallels? The only thing I would be using windows (mainly through parallels) for is running a couple of basic programs -- publisher, access, and a couple of others that are unavailable on the Mac. Also, I might use BootCamp to try out a few games. Is there any reason why I should pay extra for Pro????
No, Home will probably be fine for your needs.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-06-16, 18:44

Home also contains most of the pro features in one way or another. You can access them by booting to XP in Safe mode.
rasmits
rams it

2006-06-16, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh
Home also contains most of the pro features in one way or another. You can access them by booting to XP in Safe mode.
Are you serious? lame
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-06-16, 19:40

I thought Home couldn't access the second processor in a dual processor computer. Wouldn't that mean only one core?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-16, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
I thought Home couldn't access the second processor in a dual processor computer. Wouldn't that mean only one core?
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Symmetric multiprocessing, allowing the PC to divide work between multiple processors (CPUs)
(Windows XP Home Edition does, however, support the Hyper-threading functionality present on some Intel microprocessors. Although it has been reported to work on some dual-core microprocessors available from both AMD and Intel, Microsoft has recommended upgrading to Professional Edition for improved stability and compatibility.)
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-06-16, 19:47

i have pro for my intel imac and it runs fine
chucker

2006-06-16, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzer
i have pro for my intel imac and it runs fine
Nobody is contesting that.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-06-16, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Nobody is contesting that.

haha opps
my bad- brain lagg
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-06-17, 04:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
Are you serious? lame
Yup. If you run XP Home in Safe Mode you get all of the encryption services that you get in Pro and stuff like that. I've never been able to decide whether it was a fuckup by Microsoft or an intentional semi-easter egg
k squared

2006-06-17, 07:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Just to add to Chucker's reply: MacBooks only have a single processor -- with two cores. The Quad G5s have two processors with two cores per processor.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-06-17, 13:04

It doesn't matter, it still has two CPUs, and the OS still sees it as such. Dual cores doesn't change the fact that there are two CPUs.