User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iBook Screen Going Black!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iBook Screen Going Black!
Mr. X

2005-05-01, 21:37

Okay...I know this issue has been reported and can be found through searching, but it involves older iBooks.

I just got a brand new iBook in January (G4, 1.33 GHz), and all of a sudden, starting a couple of weeks ago, the screen will go completely black every so often. I have to hold it up to the light to see enough to restart the computer (which is the only way to fix it)......

Is there anything I can do to fix this without having to send it to Apple? I do too much work on this iBook and really can't afford to go without it. This is the first time I've ever had a quality issue with an Apple product.

I've updated all software (including OSX update to 10.3.9)....

My Mac--> iBook G4, 1.33 GHz w/ 80G HD & 1G RAM
My iPods--> 4G 60gb + Shuffle (512MB)
Retired--> iMac G3 DV SE, Original iPod w/ Scroll Wheel, iPod Shuffle (1G)
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-05-01, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X
Is there anything I can do to fix this without having to send it to Apple?
No.

It's a cable, Backlight (display unit), logicboard, or FL inverter problem. In other words, hardware.
(I got 2 bucks it's a cable or FL inverter)

If you are in warranty, backup your files and take it in for service.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-05-02, 02:18

I just had Onyx Consulting revive my old 2001 iBook's inverter, backlight, etc. and the thing is working just fine now. My problem was NOT the logic board issue that Apple has a standing recall on - so I had to pay (way out of warranty). Still, was worth it... I can keep using the thing!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Mr. X

2005-05-02, 08:28

Oh, man....what a drag. Good thing I got that Apple Care!

How long does it usually take? Can I just bring it to an Apple Store?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-05-02, 08:34

Yeah, if you're under Apple Care just take it into the Apple Store. I've never done that before, but when I put mine in for servicing I backed everything up to DVD and to hard drive, reformatted it and reinstalled the OS so that there was no sensitive data onboard. I had another machine to work on so I didn't rush the service. Took about two weeks at the shop I had it in. They may have put it in to Apple to make sure that it didn't qualify for the backlight issue, not sure. Good luck!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Mr. X

2005-05-02, 16:19

So I should clean out my Mac before giving it to the Apple Store? I've got nothing to hide, but it probably wouldn't be best to have personal information turned over (credit card, banking, etc.) I sure hope its easy to get all of my Address Book and iCal settings back....

Mr. X

2005-05-06, 12:48

OK...so I'm going to take my iBook to the Apple Store as soon as my spring semester ends. I will use my old iMac until it's ready. I have some questions:

1) Is there a sure way to clean out all contents of my Mac? I want all sensitive information cleared. I don't want to take a chance on soneome getting banking info or social security numbers, etc.

2) Can I just bring the iBook into an Apple Store or do I have to make an appointment?

I am SOOOO very thankful to all the people on this board who convinced me to buy Apple Care.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-05-06, 15:14

Not to make you doubt your decision to buy AppleCare, but your computer would still be under warranty without it. All new computers have a 1 year warranty, whether or not you bought the extra warranty. What you bought was another 2 years of coverage after Jan 2006.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-06, 22:50

1) Copy all your documents and Mail and whatnot onto your other computer, throw all of the contents of the folders in your Home folder into the Trash, then use Secure Empty Trash to wipe that stuff out.

I'd leave the enclosing folders themselves alone; just empty out your Documents, Pictures, etc. Leave the Library mostly alone, but backup & erase the Mail folder if you use OSX's Mail app.

Honestly, though, I'd trust Apple to not mess with my stuff. They never did before, which brings me to number

2) Yeah, just bring it in to your nearby Apple store. You don't need to set an appointment.

You'll probably get it back before the end of the week (probably no earlier than Wednesday if you take it in Monday).