Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Easiest Way to Purchase Apple Replacement Parts

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Easiest Way to Purchase Apple Replacement Parts
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-29, 15:18

I'll be God-damned if I can get one single person to give me a straight answer at Apple on this. I made 5 calls in the last hour and nobody helped me worth a shit. Fucking fuming right now.

Rep: Hello can I have your phone number?
Me: 123-456-7890
Rep: And your first and last name
Me: First Last
Rep:What can I help you with?

Me: This is not in reference to an existing case number, but in general I need to get the part number and price for a user-replaceable part for my G5. It's the rear fan assembly.

Rep: Do you want Apple Care?

Me: I may consider it but first I need to get a part number and price so I can order this, because my local service center is [not a place I trust with my machine due to the run-down nature of the facility and lack of knowledge on the part of the staff], and they don't have the part in stock.

Rep: Because you know... your Apple Care is about to run out.

Me: Can I get the part number and price?

Rep: Yes hold on one moment...

Me: OK

Two Minutes later: click.

FUCK YOU!!!!!!

Then there's always the tech rep saying only sales has the info, and the sales rep saying only tech support has it. And then the fucks from Bombay who (no offense but it's true in this case) couldn't speak English for shit. Meaning I couldn't understand a God-damned word they said, no matter how politely I tried to verify what they were saying / what I need to do.

SO, can anyone (because I know it can be done) tell me the quickest, most painless way to order a replacement part? I will write a well-informed, yet disturbing tale of customer frustration to Jobs himself if I have to (forget which addy to use)... but I am getting seriously pissed.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-29, 15:50

On the phone with local Apple Store genius... he says to me "so you called up Apple Care... and they wouldn't order a part for you??" As if he couldn't believe it. I chuckled and said that was correct. He told me to hold on. Next thing I know I'm talking ot someone new... and he turns around and says even THEY can't order a part for a customer because "there's no price".

WTF?

www dot what-the-FUCK dot com!

Moving right along... calling next place.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-29, 16:05

Success! I found a third party authorized repair shop guy who comes right out and says, "well, if you were to tell me your machine was not under warranty, I can order just about anything and send it to you".

Really... hey, you know, my machine isn't under warranty.

"What's the part"

Rear Fan Assembly?

"Address?"

FINALLY.

So I guess the answer, in the absence of someone here who knows how to get it done online is, call your local authorized repair centers until you find one who will order parts that are out of warranty. At $44, it's worth it for me not to drag my machine into a shop, leave it there until the middle of next week, wait for the part, call in to certify that the machine WAS under warranty when it was brought it, bring it back three days later, etc. etc.

$140 might be a different story but $44? Bought and paid for.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-10-29, 17:06

FYI, the part number is 076-1047. The description is: "Fan Kit, Rear Exhaust, w/Cable, Dual "
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-29, 17:11

Those are funny posts, moogs. Not making light of your frustration (because we've all been there, unfortunately), but your phrasing and cussing made me hee-haw a bit on this Friday afternoon.

Quote:
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-10-29, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
On the phone with local Apple Store genius... he says to me "so you called up Apple Care... and they wouldn't order a part for you??" As if he couldn't believe it. I chuckled and said that was correct. He told me to hold on. Next thing I know I'm talking ot someone new... and he turns around and says even THEY can't order a part for a customer because "there's no price".

WTF?

Moving right along... calling next place.
Did you tell him to JUST LOOK THE PART NUMBER UP, and PULL UP YOUR PANTS!

Hey, I can laugh with you man, you got it resolved.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-29, 18:18

Yes, some credit must go to the great and mighty Dennis Leary. Ever since I heard the Coffee skit I find myself saying that when something baffles me.

No harm no foul... you guys can have a good chuckle at my expense. It got so absurd at a certain point that I almost had to laugh too. Apple is so schizo when it comes to service. It's like they're the [Miami Hurricanes] of service. You either think they're the fucking greatest, or you hate their guts and wish ill on their offspring.

I never hear anyone say... "you know... Apple's service is pretty decent."
or "They're OK" or "Solid!".

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-29, 18:58

I've never had to deal directly with Apple on a repair/warranty issue (knock on wood). The local service center here (okay, ONE) is very good and the guy working there is nice and knows his stuff and has fixed a few things for me on my iMac G4, as well as a couple of work G4 towers.

I've heard the entire gamut in regards to Apple and their service...everything from "the best I've ever had...they were perfect!" to "ohmigosh, I'm going to slit both my wrists after I blow my head off...".

Moogs' experience was drifting towards the latter, it seemed.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-10-29, 21:07

I've delt with Apple twice on warranty issues with powerbooks.
The first experience was like this: Shit if I could, I would stick my hand through the phone and kill every last fudding one of you lame-ass idiots. Were talking a brand new powerbook spending 6+ weeks in service. Get you shite together and either send me a new laptop or actually test the latop to make sure its works BEFORE you send it back to me.
The second time was great. A different powerbook fixed and returned within 2 days.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-30, 16:08

That's exactly my observation. Seems like people run completely hot and cold. My hunch is that Apple - despite their legendary pickiness in hiring - does not screen some of these people all those closely and test their product knowledge, etc. Certainly not the people overseas who get patched into their phone system.

autodata
hustlin

2004-10-30, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I've never had to deal directly with Apple on a repair/warranty issue (knock on wood). The local service center here (okay, ONE) is very good and the guy working there is nice and knows his stuff and has fixed a few things for me on my iMac G4, as well as a couple of work G4 towers.
We've got the exact opposite here. There's one certified warranty repair place, but they are total psychos. I'm not kidding at all, either. I've been in there maybe 5 or 6 times and every time there was someone that was yelling at them for their crap.

For example, the last time I was there some guy was trying to get his g4 tower back from them after they claimed he was responsible for the problem so he owed them money. He had already talked to apple, had his cell phone in hand and called the folks at apple who subsequently told the repair guy to return the machine. The repair guy kept refusing. Eventually I think the guy got his machine back.

They even tried to charge me $60 once just for looking at a problem on my machine they claimed wasn't under warranty (which it was and later got repaired by apple direct). I literally told him to fuck himself and walked out. All of the apple folks in the area know what crap they are, and the only reason they continue to make money is from ignorant people. Luckily an apple store opened up close by, so hopefully he'll go out of business if he hasn't already.

I currently have a titanium powerbook that went in once for a bad firewire port. No problem and quick turnaround. I wwill have to send it in sometime soon because the optical drive basically doesn't work anymore, but I'm waiting until I can deal with the possibility of not having it for a couple weeks. I have an ibook in the house so it wouldn't be that bad, but it would be less convenient.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-10-30, 17:44

iirc, Apple has two large repair centers in the US.

one is excellent, the other sucks donkey balls. i would guess your experience is excellent or craptastic depending on which repair center your computer goes to.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2004-10-30, 21:52

My great experience was with a repair center in...Tenn. I believe. I'll have to look when I get back to work.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-10-31, 14:54

Wow,

And to think I can order any apple part I want from Apple's site. (https://gsx.apple.com/)

Oh, wait, that's because I work for an Apple reseller/service center.

hehe...

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Gennx30

2004-11-08, 15:48

got in the first gate, and then they want a PO# or something to get further in-nyet!
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2004-11-08, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
My great experience was with a repair center in...Tenn. I believe. I'll have to look when I get back to work.
It was the repair center in Memphis, TN
Very fast service.