User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Confession Thing? Pretty Funny. Pope thing? Not Funny.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Confession Thing? Pretty Funny. Pope thing? Not Funny.
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-01, 13:18

You don't have to agree with Catholic teachings (Lord knows I don't agree with all of them), but show some respect for crying out loud. This is fundamentally a very noble person we're talking about here, and he's clearly on his death bed as we write...

Quote:
NYT:
The announcement follows a statement this morning that the pope was still conscious but that his health remains "very grave," after he suffered a series of serious blows to his already weak system on Thursday, including heart and circulatory collapse...

...into the light of a dark black night.

Wraven

2005-04-01, 13:18

Ibl Ibl Ibl...

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-01, 13:20

They can lock it all they want; doesn't make me any less correct, and I didn't see any other Pope threads floating around, so....

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-01, 13:20

If it starts busting into "Break on through to the other side..." I'll agree it's in poor taste.

I have a great deal of respect for JP2, to be honest, even though I think Catholicism as a whole is truly a frightening force in the world... but I can't bring myself to find this offensive.

Wraven

2005-04-01, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
They can lock it all they want; doesn't make me any less correct, and I didn't see any other Pope threads floating around, so....
See this thread.

And again, IBL IBL IBL...

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-01, 13:21

He's dying, man. If it were your father or uncle and he happened to be famous, would you find it in bad taste?

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-01, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraven
See this thread.

That's not a thread about the Pope AFAICT, it's about the spoof banners in general. You know the whole lockedness thing, it doesn't bug me, right?

Wraven

2005-04-01, 13:22

I wasn't aware the Vatican frequented this web site...

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-01, 13:24

What is your major malfunction, wrav? Does one have to be a Cardinal to find this a little disturbing (mainly the timing of it)? I don't think so. I'm not saying ordinarily one shouldn't joke about the Pope, just that while he's on his death bed... not a classy thing IMO.

IBL, IBL, IBL!

Wraven

2005-04-01, 13:24

Quote:
That's not a thread about the Pope AFAICT, it's about the spoof banners in general. You know the whole lockedness thing, it doesn't bug me, right?
This thread is about the spoof banners as well, since you reference BOTH of them right there at the top of this thread, IN THE TITLE. So, it belongs in Feedback, oh wait, right there inside that other thread talking about the banners. This redundant thread is pointless.

Cheers,
Wraven

Wraven

2005-04-01, 13:26

Quote:
What is your major malfunction, wrav? Does one have to be a Cardinal to find this a little disturbing (mainly the timing of it)? I don't think so. I'm not saying ordinarily one shouldn't joke about the Pope, just that while he's on his death bed... not a classy thing IMO.

IBL, IBL, IBL
Read the other fucking thread and you will see that I DO think the banner is a little offensive, but this has already been discussed and debated in the other thread. What is YOUR major malfunction numbnuts? Can't YOU fucking read???

Cheers,
Wraven

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-01, 13:26

This thread rules. Look how many responses it's gotten in just five minutes! You're just jealous you didn't think to post it here, where all non-tech topics belong. It ain't suggestion for improvement I'm making, it's a specific argument about a specific banner. I think it sucks, see?

Wraven

2005-04-01, 13:28

Quote:
This thread rules. Look how many responses it's gotten in just five minutes! You're just jealous you didn't think to post it here, where all non-tech topics belong. It ain't suggestion for improvement I'm making, it's a specific argument about a specific banner. I think it sucks, see?
Look at this thread's title. It is FEEDBACK relating to two banners, which is exactly what the other thread is for. If this is not a case of a redundant thread, then what is?

Cheers,
Wraven

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-01, 13:29

PS - if I read the entire other thread, I wouldn't be able to respond to you so quickly. Plus, I got the jist of it after about three posts.

PPS - by "major malfunction" I wasn't insulting you but just being a friendly wise-ass as we often do here.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-01, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraven
Look at this thread's title. It is FEEDBACK relating to two banners, which is exactly what the other thread is for. If this is not a case of a redundant thread, then what is?
DOOD. I'm not telling them to take the banners down, I'm making what is commonly referred to as general social commentary, in this case on the state of mind behind these witty April 1 banners. They can put more banners up for all I care, I also wanted to make anyone aware (who may not be because it is fairly breaking news) that the Pope is not well... at all.

Wraven

2005-04-01, 13:31

Quote:
PS - if I read the entire other thread, I wouldn't be able to respond to you so quickly. Plus, I got the jist of it after about three posts.

PPS - by "major malfunction" I wasn't insulting you but just being a friendly wise-ass as we often do here.
And "numbnuts" is me doing the same. No real offsense. This is more fun than anything else. But I still think this thread is redundant....

Jackass...

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-01, 13:33

Hey, I'm the one that when my grandfather (who I was closest to than anyone in my family) died, commented that with his two artificial hips, heart implant, ear implants, and many pins and plates, we might want to look at recycling options to save some money on the cremation... I find very little offensive, and humor is my way of dealing with most life crises.

So maybe I'm not the best bellweather for what may or may not be offensive.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-01, 13:33

Kick: OK, if you say so but I don't think a recycling banner would be any better.

Wraven: It rules and you know it (even if I am an ass for persisting so much). Soon others will come and they will see that this thread is righteous and worthy of continued effort, not unlike the grammar thread, which is not so much about grammar as... well you know what I'm saying.

Wraven

2005-04-01, 13:35

Quote:
DOOD. I'm not telling them to take the banners down, I'm making what is commonly referred to as general social commentary, in this case on the state of mind behind these witty April 1 banners. They can put more banners up for all I care, I also wanted to make anyone aware (who may not be because it is fairly breaking news) that the Pope is not well... at all.
Moogs (I will refrain from "numbnuts"),
I understand you are not asking LoCash or anyone else to take it down. You are just late to the party. Mugge and Screensaver400 made the exact same "social commentary" in the other thread (again, redundancy), and LoCash got upset and DID PULL the banner for awhile until some of us talked him into putting it back up.

Cheers,
Wraven

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-01, 13:36

Can we get a Johnny Cochran banner? Because apparently, Chewbacca no longer lives on Endor.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-04-01, 13:40

It's lame and tacky. But what are you gonna do?

On a slightly more serious note: it makes us look bad. I can imagine someone reading Think Secret for the first time today, seeing the "forum" link and seeing AppleNova for the first time, and being greeted with that.

What we might view as a one-day-only April Fool's thing (to varying degrees of appreciation), a stranger or newbie would get such a bad initial impression of this place, the folks that run it and all us swell people who inhabit it.

Not a good calling card.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-04-01 at 13:54.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-01, 13:42

Post this awesome thread and continue on with a Maddox-like instance that it rules.

Wraven

2005-04-01, 13:44

pscates,
I can't believe you didn't REALLY read this thread. I welcome Moogs' view - I'm just saying it belongs IN THE OTHER ALREADY EXISTING THREAD. Am I not speaking English here or what?

Oh yeah, IBL IBL IBL...

Cheers,
Wraven

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-01, 13:46

Dude you are so wrong... this thread has momentum! :smokey:

I want the Johnny Cochran banner and I want it NOW. Tina wants it too.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-01, 13:50

Quote:
Kick: OK, if you say so but I don't think a recycling banner would be any better.
Maybe if it was reincarnation??

(See, I'm going to hell... )

Wraven

2005-04-01, 13:53

Moogs,
You are teh WIN!!!1!! It is gone now.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-01, 13:56

Wraven: you can see clearly now my vision for this thread taking shape. First it was the banners, next we'll take on the courts and corrupt politicians! Or maybe the mods just planned it like this.

Kick: in a handbasket. I'm not sure I can bring myself to talk to you anymore. I feel so... dirty.

Wraven

2005-04-01, 13:57

Yes, I see the light oh great one.

The true purpose of this thread is for...

Upping our post counts!!! heh.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-01, 13:59

So let it be written, so let it be done.

(Tina still wants to sit on top of a Johnny banner, if you take my meaning).

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-04-01, 14:00

Ohmigosh...it's Tina!!!

I give up. This day is over in just a short 10 hours...all will return to normal soon enough.

All is cool.