Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iTunes: Playlist within a playlist...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes: Playlist within a playlist...
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-26, 20:39

Just like you can make a folder within a folder, why cant you make a playlist within a playlist, or something like it. I would love to make a playlist called "Full Albums" and in it would be full albums, that have every song, not just partial albums, like most of mine.

See what I'm saying here?

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-26, 21:22

SoundJam had this feature before Apple bought it, turned it into iTunes, and Steved some of its great features.

There's absolutely no reason aside from an administrative decision that folders can't be reintroduced in iTunes.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-26, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
SoundJam had this feature before Apple bought it, turned it into iTunes, and Steved some of its great features.

There's absolutely no reason aside from an administrative decision that folders can't be reintroduced in iTunes.
I remember asking about folders WAY back over at .com and I think you gave me more or less the same response

Man, Soundjam was great, that was one of the biggest hurdles in my transition to OS X, I had used iTunes but it stunk compared to Soundjam, Well, it's gotten a lot better now, as has OS X, maybe this feature will show up sometime down the line
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-26, 22:38

Mr Beardsley

Send a message via AIM to Mr Beardsley  
2004-07-26, 23:19

Can't you use smart playlists to kind of accomplish this now. You can create a smart playlist that only looks for songs in an already created playlist. Then just add criteria to make a sub-playlist.

"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-07-26, 23:55

cant you just browse by alblum to accomplish this
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-07-27, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsblowsass
cant you just browse by alblum to accomplish this
Not the point.

A playlist of an Band. . . and playlists within that playlist of each album.
wyvern

Send a message via AIM to wyvern  
2004-07-27, 00:10

This feature is sorta-kinda replaced by the Browse system. Not as flexible, and I never use it... but whatever.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-27, 09:59

Currently iTunes lacks one major thing, in my view.

1. A way to know if an album is complete or not and then if they are, have those albums all in one playlist...or something like that.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-07-27, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh

1. A way to know if an album is complete or not and then if they are, have those albums all in one playlist...or something like that.
As a hack, couldn't you just put "complete" or something in the grouping category? Then have a smart playlist using that as the search criteria? Hackish, but it'll work I believe.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-27, 13:14

Stop pirating music
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-27, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Stop pirating music
What, as if having partial albums means you pirate music?

Okay, so of course I've downloaded my share of music, but even when I own the CD I have partial albums. Of course, now I don't buy CDs anymore because I end up only keeping one or three songs from each one. Big waste of money. If you buy from the iTMS, you're almost always buying individual songs rather than the entire album.

So, I have many partial albums, and few full ones. Using "Browse" makes things cluttered because I have to look at every single artist and album that is present, whether they did one of the songs in the list or twenty of them.
PowerBook

2004-07-27, 19:22

Quote:
Just like you can make a folder within a folder, why cant you make a playlist within a playlist, or something like it. I would love to make a playlist called "Full Albums" and in it would be full albums, that have every song, not just partial albums, like most of mine.

See what I'm saying here?
To address the initial topic ...

I think Grouping might fullfill this request, as you really don't want to sift through folders to find a piece of music.

I mean ... for example ... I have Bookmark folders in Bookmark folders ... and I don't really find it convenient to see any of the sites that I have in my Bookmark folders, as I have to dig into them to find one website that I bookmarked ... it's kind of inconvenient. This isn't how Apple wants to do things.

To have playlists in playlists would also create a very Windows-esque hierarchy of how their folder browsing interface already works and feels like.

As a musician, I organize my library by genre. I appreciate the Browse interface ... although it would be nice to customize that. For classical music, I have to find everything through the album list, as the artist list is no use to me, if there are several different artists per album. It would be useful if there was a composer list for this, but I haven't found a way to customize the Browse interface. As we know it, it's only Genre - Artist - Album.

For users who haven't discovered grouping, you'll notice it after purchasing certain classical albums on iTunes Music Store that have several pieces on it that are multi-movement. The movements are grouped together of which piece it is, as each movement will have it's own track.

Last edited by PowerBook : 2004-07-27 at 20:54.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-27, 19:57

Thanks PB, good to know. I'm starting to see that "view options" has quite a few ways to do things, in ways I didnt know I could organize things before.

feend

2004-07-28, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
So, I have many partial albums, and few full ones. Using "Browse" makes things cluttered because I have to look at every single artist and album that is present, whether they did one of the songs in the list or twenty of them.
This doesn't really help partial albums, but if you turn on the "Group Compilations When Browsing" option then artists that only appear on compilation albums disappear from the browse list.

I suppose you could hack it by setting the compilation flag on all the artists you aren't interested in browsing e.g. incomplete albums, or artists with less than 5 tracks etc.
CTPorter

2004-07-29, 16:30

Quote:

A work around may be to use the comment field. Make a comment along the lines of "partial or complete album" then make a smart playlist that has only complete album and the name of the group etc you want in that playlist.

CTPorter