User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Bloggie
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-12-09, 02:10

I was thinking about getting a Flip camera for my Dad, but then I saw that Sony had a device called the Bloggie and I'm wondering if anyone else has looked at this gizmo. I suppose that the iPod Touch might be a competitor, but I've read (here) that the camera in that device isn't comparable to the camera in the iPhone 4.

Any thoughts?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-12-09, 02:43

One of my good friends has and adores the Sony Webbie, which is basically last year's version of the Bloggie. It's fun and easy to use, and the rotating lens is definitely an improvement over the Flip form factor, but I haven't run a thorough image quality comparo or anything. The Flip is probably still the absolute easiest to use, though.

FWIW, I'd also check out Kodak's Zi8, which seemed to be the critics' favorite in this segment, or its successor, the PlaySport, which is IIRC basically the same camera only moar rugged. Amazon has an exclusive PlaySport + accessories bundle that you may find to be a good value.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-12-09, 03:12

Eeeep. I've been reading reviews of the Bloggie Touch on Amazon. Totally forgot what a Mac-hostile product Sony tends to make. Oh well, striking it from the list.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-12-09, 04:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Eeeep. I've been reading reviews of the Bloggie Touch on Amazon. Totally forgot what a Mac-hostile product Sony tends to make. Oh well, striking it from the list.

Oh, yeah. If he has a Mac don't get him Sony anything

To be honest, I don't like any of the touchscreen Flip-style cameras I've seen so far...the Flip Slide, the Kodak PlayTouch, the Sony Bloggie Touch...they're all more expensive with little benefit, and they're usually more difficult to use to boot. The entire point of the category is to be stupid simple, affordable, and "good enough," right? But for the price of the Slide HD, one can get a "real" camcorder...or an iPod touch.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-12-09, 07:36

The still camera in the touch isn't as good as the iPhone 4's but the video camera specs are the same, I believe. Edit: a quick search later. And yes the iPod touch and iPhone both record at 720p. Good option, no?