User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Fan not working at all

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Fan not working at all
Myst

2005-06-07, 23:37

On my 12' powerbook G4 that apple threw back at me and said "its worthless go and sell it for parts" I was board and had my friends look it over. When I handed it to apple to look over as it was still covered in the applecare plan the hard drive had gone back into DOS mode and and would not work. I figured ok maybe the hard drive was corrupted. Apple gave it back saying damage was over a grand.

Anyways, I bought a brand new hard drive and my friends tore my comp up, took an air compressor to it to clean what we were shocked to find. There was duct tape all over the interior, the inside was covered in tape and glue from when the folks and the store last repaired it. We put the new hard drive in and found it to be working perfectly except one thing. The fan was not moving.

Is there anything we can do about the fan? Does it need to be replaced? That was the only thing we found. As my friends decided its just a fan. It can't cost as much to repair as apple was saying.

Does anyone know what to do, or how to fix this?

Thanks

Last edited by Myst : 2005-06-08 at 00:06.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-07, 23:53

can you take some photos? i'd need to see the extent of the damage the tape might have caused.
Myst

2005-06-07, 23:59

I can try getting the photos, my digicam and wire is in my friends custody as I kinda left that at their house but I can probably get them up by tomorrow. I never expected to see that inside my comp as I have seen the insides of many other comps and tape and glue have never been involved...

The fact though that the fan does not run kinda does not seem right.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-08, 00:07

yeah, tape and glue are bad things.

i'd want to see what went where before i gave any advice on how you might fix it.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-06-08, 01:23

I have a G3 Powerbook, and the fan only activated on twice in the past 5 years. There may be nothing wrong with the fan, rather your computer is not getting hot enough.

I don't remember my Grandpa's 12" Powerbook using a fan much and it gets pretty darn hot.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET