AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Lets go ride bikes!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Lets go ride bikes!
Page 3 of 20 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-05-02, 15:27

I'm actually getting piled on by Banana and fucking stevegong! Definitely two top-tier members. Oh what will I ever do.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-05-02, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post

I'm actually getting piled on by Banana and fucking stevegong! Definitely two top-tier members. Oh what will I ever do.
You're fucking stevegong?
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-05-02, 15:33

Damn. I can't talk myself out of that one.

It was the tight italian pants that did it for me.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-05-02, 15:35

It's okay. Every gigolo has his day.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2007-05-02, 15:38

Quote:

Actually I'm currently inside Banana Republic pants.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-05-02, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong View Post
Actually I'm currently inside Banana's pants.
T,FTFY
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-05-02, 15:48

Does the pants have to be small, like, ones for Ken doll? I've never seen a Banana size of a man....
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-05-02, 15:48

Banana wears Replublic pants?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-05-02, 16:24

Quote:

I'm actually getting piled on by Banana and fucking stevegong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
You're fucking stevegong?
Quote:

Damn. I can't talk myself out of that one.

Boomerangmacuser

2007-05-02, 18:39

If you get bitten by the cycling bug your shiny new ride will soon look like these . But a well used bike is a good thing. I think it's the best way to get fit because you're contantly going to new places. I just don't undestand the whole stationary bike thing (unless it's facing a yoga class ). You'll quickly outgrow your little loop and start venturing further afield. Your loop will be reserved for 'quickies'. If youstart riding in groups you'll notice pubs tend to be the destination of choice. In University our motto was "Pitcher of water... Pitcher of beer... In that order please!"

I've been a serious recreational rider for over 20 years. I have a mountain bike and a touring bike. Sorry no pics. 3 must haves in order of importance: 1) helmet (get it before you regret it), 2) lock (to keep that shiny newness), 3) repair kit (don't be left stranded)

I just starting riding with my neighbor who has one of those fancy heart rate monitors with gps built in. It tracks distance, avg speed, max speed, calories, elevation gain, heart rate by time etc. He can google map his route and download the whole thing to a training program so ha can track progess. It's amazing. It's also 10X the cost of my little $15 bike computer. I just love seeing what my max speed was after a good hill. My Best is 81 Km/h in the hills of Vermont. Yeeeahhhhh!
Perfecting_Zero

2007-05-02, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong View Post
This is my bike, a Lemond Zurich. I absolutely love it.

Road cycling is the shit.
That's a beautiful bike! I'm giving serious thought to an '05 Lemond Buenos Aires w/mid-grade campy components, a mix of veloce and centaur.
Boomerangmacuser

2007-05-02, 22:36

I'm partial to campi components as well. They feel more solid to me than the Shimano kit. Some people don't like the "Mickey Mouse Ears" levers for donwshifting (they're on the inside) but they work well for me when I'm out of the saddle accelerating and I want to drop 3-4 gears in one shot. I've had my touring bike for 12 years and they're as responsive as the first day I got them.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2007-05-02, 22:54

My little road bike. And it's a lot of fun.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-05-03, 01:57

Here you go... here's my bike. She treats me well.

The fuchsia makes for a great theft deterrent.
Lurch104

2007-05-03, 07:56

Here is the brochure pic of my spanky new Cannondale CAAD 8 Optimo 1. I have no right to have such a fine bike under my backside, but there she is. I bought it this winter to start competing in triathlons. All I can say is ...WOW! The bike can't entirely make up for my poor swimming ability, but it definately helps me get back into the main pack.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/C...7RA81D_blk.jpg
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-05-03, 09:04

Cannondales are weird. But the quality of the finish (welds, etc.) is spectacular.

Do you have tri-bars, Lurch104? They make a big difference in time trials and triathlons where you're not allowed to draft. I'm not a great tester (especially if it's flat) as I just don't have the sustained power and pain tolerance needed, but I can beat some guys with higher sustained wattage because I ruthlessly stay on the aero bars (or drops depending on the bike), and ride with my back as flat as possible, elbows in line with knees and knees nearly touching the top tube.* When you ride at speed, upwards of 90% of your power output is dissipated by air resistance (drag). And because the power required varies as the cube of your speed (e.g. doubling your speed requires 8x more power), you can save a lot of energy by making small tweaks to your position.

This is why I love cycling, and especially road racing. The strongest rider doesn't always win because so much of good cycling is technique and tactics, i.e. dirty tricks.

* Of course there are still VO2-max monsters who, despite riding with a bad position, blast past me so fast I nearly asphyxiate in their wake. Life's a bitch.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Lurch104

2007-05-03, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Cannondales are weird. But the quality of the finish (welds, etc.) is spectacular.

Do you have tri-bars, Lurch104? They make a big difference in time trials and triathlons where you're not allowed to draft. I'm not a great tester (especially if it's flat) as I just don't have the sustained power and pain tolerance needed, but I can beat some guys with higher sustained wattage because I ruthlessly stay on the aero bars (or drops depending on the bike), and ride with my back as flat as possible, elbows in line with knees and knees nearly touching the top tube.* When you ride at speed, upwards of 90% of your power output is dissipated by air resistance (drag). And because the power required varies as the cube of your speed (e.g. doubling your speed requires 8x more power), you can save a lot of energy by making small tweaks to your position.

This is why I love cycling, and especially road racing. The strongest rider doesn't always win because so much of good cycling is technique and tactics, i.e. dirty tricks.

* Of course there are still VO2-max monsters who, despite riding with a bad position, blast past me so fast I nearly asphyxiate in their wake. Life's a bitch.
No I do not have aero bars...yet. I did notice that they would have made a difference in my time during my last tri. They also look more comfortable. I'll have to try a longer ride tonight and stay in the drop to see the difference it makes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-18, 23:45

So I've been reading this thread from the sidelines for a little bit and now it's got me thinking. I used to ride in bikeathons as a teen but haven't had a bike since moving out on my own. It was in great shape then and I rode all the time. Well, I miss that a little now. I could use the extra workout that riding gives as well as enhance my balance again. So the reason I"m posting is that I would like to "go ride bikes!" The problem is I don't have one and I live in an apartment complex that just last month said we can now store our bikes on the balcony.

So what do I look for in a bike. I'd say most of my riding would be on the street, but I wouldn't mind something that can do some off-roading too. I know there are bikes from all prices out there, but I don't know which one fits me. I can tell you that the $3000 models at the bike shop are not in my scope right now. As a kid, when I needed a new bike my mom would pick one up from a yard sale. I'm cool with that now, but what are some "everyday" models out there that are good quality and value?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Majost

2007-05-19, 00:20

My bike was a $200 used model from the mid 1980s. I *really* like it. The most important part is that you feel comfortable riding it. And that it's relatively lightweight. And has decent components. I'd go to a shop and take some out for a spin. Based upon what you're saying, a hybrid would probably suit you well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
Then again, I do cycle on the streets of Chicago; an accident is inevitable at some point (I've already gotten hit twice, but they were just sideswipes where I didn't even fall off the bike... I just lost a bit of skin off my knuckles and got really angry at the drivers).
I just can't post in this thread without mentioning this... It happened. Yesterday. I hit another cyclist (she was fine) and went over my handlebars. (I'm fine, and not in pain.)

Spoiler (click to toggle):
SpecMode
Wait what

2007-05-19, 00:24

..........ouch.
¡Damned!

2007-05-19, 00:36

Quote:
I just can't post in this thread without mentioning this... It happened. Yesterday. I hit another cyclist (she was fine) and went over my handlebars. (I'm fine, and not in pain.)
Damn, man. You need a different bike helmet:

Anonymous Coward

2007-05-19, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
So what do I look for in a bike. I'd say most of my riding would be on the street, but I wouldn't mind something that can do some off-roading too. I know there are bikes from all prices out there ...
Take a look at this website:

www.bikesdirect.com

My opinion is that you'd get better advice about specific bicycles from people responding in this thread, though. While the website says they answer questions and make recommendations, I haven't found them to be especially helpful, unless you ask the same question a couple of times in separate correspondence.
Majost

2007-05-19, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Damn, man. You need a different bike helmet:
No kidding. I was wearing a good helmet, but I so successfully face-planted that the helmet didn't even get scratched.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-05-19, 04:58

Quote:

Spoiler (click to toggle):

Key: Dueling Banjos. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dueling_Banjos

Glad you're OK. Bike spills can be nasty. Handlebar end in the spleen, back into a steel I beam, knee into the curb.

Were you wearing a helmet?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-19, 09:16

Quote:

Then again, maybe I don't want to start riding again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
Take a look at this website:

www.bikesdirect.com

My opinion is that you'd get better advice about specific bicycles from people responding in this thread, though. While the website says they answer questions and make recommendations, I haven't found them to be especially helpful, unless you ask the same question a couple of times in separate correspondence.
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely ask more questions as I get closer to buying.
g0pher
BANNED

Send a message via MSN to g0pher  
2007-05-19, 10:02

You guys are SO not hardcore!

Main bike: Marin Attack Trail 04'

With 2005 MOJO Fox tala rlc's and 2006 swingarm. Full XT, with hope mono m4s, hope bulb hubs, 717 mavic rims, xt spds, hope headset, wtb saddle, etc..

Road: Trek Equinox 5

Others: GT performer, Koxx 'M'unicyle, ..

Basicly, I use them all alot
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2007-05-19, 13:47

Last summer when my daughter learned to ride a two wheeler, my wife and I went out and got new bikes. Both got Giant's. Mine is the Sedona. Cross between mountain and street. First new bike in probably 20 years.

Got 3 miles in yesterday. Would ride today except for the rain.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-06-25, 11:02

looking to get a new commuting bike...i have a giant iguana i bought in 1988 or so....love it and it has treated me well, but i don't mountain bike anymore and it is slowish for city riding...

still i love to hop curbs and want a flat bar bike...just faster on smaller wheels and less weight

thinking of the canondale bad boy disc

or the Road Warrior, also from cannondale

or the giant FCR

or the big buzz bike from REI:

what bike would you recommend for a 7 mile commute each way, and weekend rides of 20 to 30 miles of bike paths (with some jumping of curbs just because it is in my blood)?

g

and with trying to keep the price around a grand... (cannodales are a bit above a grand, the giant is 850 and the buzz is 799....i can usually find a sale on cannodales to get them just under 1000, the giant usually is at list and as a member at rei i can get the buzz for about 700. so it is the cheapest. and it has the disc brake which is nice. the downside is the fork is not carbon and i think it is probably a bit heavier than the others)

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough

Last edited by thegelding : 2007-06-25 at 11:13.
Perfecting_Zero

2007-06-25, 14:25

G,

Well, I can say that mechanical disc brakes (such as the Avid BB7) are well-suited to commuting (and stopping!) in a variety of conditions; In my experience, they are superior to rim brakes in wet/sloppy/snowy conditions.

For a commuter bike, you might consider an aluminum frame, as rust would then be less of a threat. However, to mitigate against the harsher ride, you might want to consider a carbon fork with the AL frame. (A carbon frame/fork would stretch your $1000 budget.)

Also -- again, from my experience -- I would stay far, far away from the novelty low-spoke-count wheels... like the ones on that Giant. I've just spent five-hundred dollars replacing the miserable low-spokey Bontrager wheels on my LeMond. You just can't beat a thirty-two (or thirty-six) spoke wheel laced cross-three with good quality rims, hubs, nipples and spokes.

You will want to make sure that your commuter rig can accept the quick installation of lightweight fenders, for those sloppy/slushy days. Also, you may or may not want the extra threaded attachment point for installing panniers or racks.

As for component group, I would insist on Shimano 105 (or better, of course, if you can manage it). If not Shimano 105, then SRAM or Campagnolo of similar, mid-range quality.

I think that $1000 is a reasonable budget for a good (if not excellent) commuter bike. Please, keep us informed!

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-06-25, 14:35

yeah...will likely just have to ride them all and grab the one i like best.

as for rain and rust...i live in the desert, so no worries there

i do like the look of the fewer spokes...and like the idea of disc brakes....

wish the buzz came with a carbon fork or that the road warrior had disc brakes

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough