AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

switching web hosts: avoiding lost email

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
switching web hosts: avoiding lost email
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-07-05, 23:22

I'm getting set to switch web hosts for the first time since around 2000. I know that, when done properly, a host change doesn't need to be a total headache. I understand that if I set up my site at the new host in advance, that some people will get my "new" site while others will still get my "old" site while the updated DNS info. propagates worldwide.

What I'm not as clear on is email. Is it guaranteed that I'll lose some email during a host switch, or can that be avoided? If I have accounts at two hosts for an overlapping few days, will some email end up in both accounts until the DNS info. has been totally updated worldwide?

I need to switch to a host that offers IMAP email, but I really hate to think that some email will be lost for 2-3 days while the change is taking place. All feedback/recommendations appreciated. Thanks.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-07-05, 23:49

It's hard to tell when it'll happen, but in my experience, DNS switches are quick, though they take some time to happen. That is, it'll work until it's switched and then the other one will kick in. It's best to make sure you do the switch, say, on Friday night (or when you're lowest traffic will be).

I think the best you can do is what you suggested - keep checking both hosts for a while.
apple007
BANNED

2007-07-06, 01:06

Thanks for the response.

Is email routed the same way as requests for web sites? That is, is it possible that person #1 from Brazil could send me an email and have it end up at my old host, while person #2 from Chicago could send me an email at the same time and have it end up at my new host? Or does all email get routed to one place or the other?

I'm just trying to figure out if it's a given that some emails will get lost, or if I should escape with all of my incoming email as long as I continue to check both email accounts for a few days after making the switch. Thanks.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-07-06, 11:13

The email does get routed according to the DNS tables (well, the MX records but it's similar), so, yes, it's the same. The issue is that email has to live on a server someplace and the host you're switching away from may not let the mail sit on the server.
apple007
BANNED

2008-01-10, 17:53

Picking up on a six-month-old dialogue, just so I'm clear, is it true that if I have two hosting accounts set up simultaneously (old host + new host), I should lose zero email during a hosting switch? Thanks.

Quote:
The email does get routed according to the DNS tables (well, the MX records but it's similar), so, yes, it's the same. The issue is that email has to live on a server someplace and the host you're switching away from may not let the mail sit on the server.
As a punitive measure, or for technical reasons? I just assumed the host wouldn't know what had happened until it was over (e.g., I call to cancel my account). I assume they still bill me until I cancel, so it's unclear to me how or why they could get away with rejecting the last of my emails while the switch is finalized. Thanks.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-10, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
Picking up on a six-month-old dialogue, just so I'm clear, is it true that if I have two hosting accounts set up simultaneously (old host + new host), I should lose zero email during a hosting switch? Thanks.
Yes, in that case you should not lose any email, as long as you connect to the old mail server at it's real address (like server47.craphosting.com)

Another option is to get them to close your old account (after making sure to get all the email) and very quickly do the DNS change. Most email servers will try to re-send emails for up to 4 days, so you should get all your email, although some may be delayed. DNS changes usually take up to 24 hours to propagate through the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
As a punitive measure, or for technical reasons? I just assumed the host wouldn't know what had happened until it was over (e.g., I call to cancel my account). I assume they still bill me until I cancel, so it's unclear to me how or why they could get away with rejecting the last of my emails while the switch is finalized. Thanks.
I think torifile was referring to the possibility of them deleting your stuff quickly after cancelling your account. Just make sure to not cancel until after the move, then there should be no problems or stupid human errors.

Converted 07/2005.