Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
The disasters you see coming are less emotive than those you don’t
Ay, there's the rub.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-03-29, 13:17

That and health related deaths are always viewed differently, because they are on an individual level. Something like 9/11 was more of an attack on an idea, or culture, than the individuals who died in the attack. Society has historically looked at those who die of poor health as weak, and not worth worrying about. Survival of the fittest and all that. That is why there are those today who think that we should stop the social distancing and such measures and just go back to normal. It all comes down to what people value at the end of the day.

I know a few individuals who see this virus and it killing people as a good thing, and think it is natures way of controlling the human population.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-03-29, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
That and health related deaths are always viewed differently, because they are on an individual level. Something like 9/11 was more of an attack on an idea, or culture, than the individuals who died in the attack. Society has historically looked at those who die of poor health as weak, and not worth worrying about. Survival of the fittest and all that. That is why there are those today who think that we should stop the social distancing and such measures and just go back to normal. It all comes down to what people value at the end of the day.

I know a few individuals who see this virus and it killing people as a good thing, and think it is natures way of controlling the human population.
These people are idiots. The world population grows at an annual rate of ~1%, even if every single person got the disease and 10% died at the same distribution as in Italy, the world's population would recover in less than a decade, possibly sooner with all the quarantine babies coming at the end of this year...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-29, 18:50

No argument there. I don't even bother conversing on the subject with people that have that mindset, not worth the energy.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-03-29, 20:58

I have noticed a definite trend with friends with a certain political ideology who continue to share posts chiding us for concentrating on the dead instead of those who have recovered.

To quote Deondre Cole, "What up with that??"

Ooooooweeeee.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-29, 23:18

Quote:
possibly sooner with all the quarantine babies coming at the end of this year...
Funny. My wife made this connection last week. Come January, there are going to be a gazillion bouncing baby thingamabobs.

Wife: "Honey, I'm bored. What should we do?"

Husband: " "

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-03-30, 00:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Funny. My wife made this connection last week. Come January, there are going to be a gazillion bouncing baby thingamabobs.

Wife: "Honey, I'm bored. What should we do?"

Husband: " "
And every single one will be a first child.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-30, 08:42

...with an unfortunate name somehow tied to the situation: Krona, Koh’vid, Sharmenn, P’relle, Stimuluschek, etc.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-30, 10:05

I’m leaning towards a jump in the divorce rate, not babies, from those who can stand each other for a while, but not all the time.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-03-30, 10:29

Stress is relieved in multiple positions
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-30, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I’m leaning towards a jump in the divorce rate, not babies, from those who can stand each other for a while, but not all the time.
I saw an article on Yahoo yesterday about this very thing. Couples forced to live closely together for a *gasp* TWO WHOLE WEEKS are realizing they can't stand each other (but they proceeded with that $87K "destination" wedding, making all their broke-ass friends fly to some Caribbean or Central American beach resort, and then dutifully began cranking out the ankle-biters, post-honeymoon, because That's What You Do™).

But the world goes a little sideways and, within two weeks, they're talking to lawyers.

Nice.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-03-30 at 11:23.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-30, 11:12

We're screwed!

I count myself very fortunate to have the wife that I have. We might bark at each other from time to time, but that nasty "D" word has no place in either of our minds.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-03-30 at 11:23.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-30, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I saw an article on Yahoo yesterday about this very thing. Couples forced to live closely together for a *gasp* TWO WHOLE WEEKS are realizing they can't stand each other (but they proceeded with that $87K "destination" wedding, making all their broke-ass friends fly to some Caribbean or Central American beach resort, and then dutifully began cranking out the ankle-biters, post-honeymoon, because That's What You Do™).

But the world goes a little sideways and, within two weeks, they're talking to lawyers.

Nice.
That combined with the stress of one or both of them being out of work, thus not being able to make car/house/TV/computer/boat/ATV/renovation etc. payments. I've seen a lot of people freaking out about that more than the virus itself, because they never set money aside in an emergency fund.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-30, 14:28

This is acting as a hard, needed lesson for some. If it changes how some view saving, sacrificing, socking away for rainy days and other financial-related matters, that’s one small silver lining from this. Folks may be better prepared for weird, unexpected events, going forward.

EDIT: I'm not a preacher/life coach/happiness guru and I honestly don't give a shit what other people do with their money. Knock yourselves out. My previous screed was more a gut response to the whining and hysterics I've heard for about 11 days straight. None of it my business/concern, at this point.

PS - Not saying whining and hysterics aren't necessarily warranted; I'm sure there's time/reason for plenty. But I can only take in so much, in measured chunks/spans. I probably don't even need to be in this thread... So...ta-ta!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-03-30 at 15:01.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-02, 12:52

This thing is going off the rails!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-04-02, 13:21

Lots of crazy people out there, but that is over the top. Attacking a medical ship? WTF, this isn't WWII in the Pacific people!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-02, 16:24

I am quite certain the military is hiding the zombie hoard aboard that ship and is preparing to release them in order to bring about the New World Order™, also known as Zombieland!

That dude is absolutely cracked in the skull. I mean, everyone knows that the secret was buried with all the 9/11 debris.

I've been wrong about a lot of stuff regarding COVID-19, but one thing I will not do is climb aboard the stupid, waste-my-time, conspiracy tin-hat crap! Talk about wasting time and resources needed elsewhere.

Edit: Is your community playing nice? Google knows!

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-04-03 at 14:25.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-03, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
...with an unfortunate name somehow tied to the situation: Krona, Koh’vid, Sharmenn, P’relle, Stimuluschek, etc.
One tiny peek in here, just to post this bit of non-doom-and-gloom news. You knew it was coming...

Newborn twins named Corona and Covid. Seems I only had the "creative spelling" aspect wrong.

Gee, I can't wait to have kids and name them after something horrible.

"I'd like you to meet our daughter, Auschwitz, and her brother Hindenburg. And we're eagerly awaiting the birth of our son, who we've already named Polio".

I suspect those names aren't gonna age well and the kids are going to resent the hell out of their parents for saddling them with such a thing.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-03, 16:57

Uhm …

No!

May as well name your kid Adolph.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-04-03, 18:00

Wonder how many people called their kids Titanic after it sank... cause this is about the same.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-03, 20:10

I saw this today and figured I'd share it. It is so true. Like unbelievably true. Other than I'm married and grab my wife when I'm still in bed and not my phone.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-03, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Other than I'm married and grab my wife when I'm still in bed and not my phone.
"Working" from home?

Work harder!

My wife is working from home and is actually working longer hours, not shorter.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-04-03, 22:38

Starting to go a little nuts I'll admit. Working from home, living by myself. At least I've got work to occupy my time but it's now been a month since I spoke to anyone in person.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-04, 10:56

Yeesh. At least yell at your neighbors through the wall!

I'm still working at the office (trying to follow that 10 people/6ft thing as best we can, and my frickin hands are falling apart from all the hand washing and constant scrubbing after germ-infested children get finished licking the iPads. Fortunately my wife works for a girly-cream-making place that makes the best repairing lotion on Earth!

My wife is starting to show some signs of stress from working at home. Her job was already fairly busy, but working from home has upped the ante quite a lot. She ordered some comfort food-fries that she loves and when they got to her she found a pube in them and that ruined her day 'cause COVID is bad enough when it's sneezed on you, but delivered in a pube? The place refunded her money, but it ruined her day, so I bought her flowers and that cheered her up.

Silly girls.

I'll go for a walk with the family today and look at all the new construction in the area, and occasionally squawk at a neighbor from across the street. We need that good ol' fresh spring air in our lungs, I can tell all of you that right now! Gonna get me some! It's super fun when some new mom pushing a stroller sees you coming down the same sidewalk and makes that panicked 90º turn across the street and straight in front of a car and all the honking and cussing. Good times.

Also, is there anybody out there that buys this?

1) The mask she is holding looks like it was lifted from a military surplus gas-mask stash.

2) Something about it strikes me as attention-seeking.

3) I just don't buy it.

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-04-04 at 11:13.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-04-04, 11:49

Kind of board from being locked down this week, but not losing my mind, then again I’m an introvert that prefers to be alone most of the time, so nothing new for me. Still plenty of nice days to get out for walks, and should be back to work on Monday.

That’s not to crazy. Here a landlord tried to throw out a testing clinic that is being used for running COVID-19 tests.

Or This guy, also had his hot yoga business shut down for claiming it would prevent people from getting the virus, who tired to go into a test site and hospital ICU to check and see if the virus is real.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-04, 20:06

Serious questions:

Did COVID transmission in China really just sort of "end"? Considering how densely packed those cities are, and how rapidly it is expanding everywhere else, did this virus just fall off the planet over there? Or is China just no longer reporting new cases in order to look good?

I don't know the answer to these questions. It just seems weird to me.

Dr. Bobsky

2020-04-04, 23:40

China reported 3000 or so deaths. In Wuhan alone it looks like there were more than 40k on the basis of the number of cremations that have been performed in the last
few weeks. They underreported the severity
of the outbreak and deaths, and are likely continuing to do so...
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-04-04, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Serious questions:

Did COVID transmission in China really just sort of "end"? Considering how densely packed those cities are, and how rapidly it is expanding everywhere else, did this virus just fall off the planet over there? Or is China just no longer reporting new cases in order to look good?

I don't know the answer to these questions. It just seems weird to me.
I don’t know. You had all the answers and strong opinions a month ago. Why don’t you tell us?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-04-05, 00:28

Quote:
China reported 3000 or so deaths. In Wuhan alone it looks like there were more than 40k on the basis of the number of cremations that have been performed in the last
few weeks. They underreported the severity
of the outbreak and deaths, and are likely continuing to do so...
So you think the Chinese government lifted the lockdown on Wuhan Province because they’ve given up on trying to contain the virus? Doesn’t seem like a logical reaction at this point.

To answer the original question. My understanding was that most of the new cases in China are now coming from citizens who have returned from vacation and business travel elsewhere in the world.