User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

COVID-19 Outbreak

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
COVID-19 Outbreak
Page 33 of 42 First Previous 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37  Next Last Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-17, 01:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
If you just had Covid, can you catch it again?
I'm not sick, I just want to see Spider-Man.
Whichever one of you yokels is stealing my jokes, I approve. Just send me a shirt or Lorne's autograph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
On ‘S.N.L.,’ Biden Urges Covid-Weary Nation to Stop Seeing ‘Spider-Man’

Mac+
9" monochrome

2022-01-17, 03:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
OK, post-post-post pandemic. It's not that much of a stretch for us. We have some extended family there, and have had New Zealand on the bucket list since watching the Making of LOTR DVDs 15 years ago.
Looking forward to welcoming you Matsu and anybody else who wants to visit.

I think I put forward some tips of why Melbourne is such a great place to visit in a thread here - maybe fourteen years ago? It was quite good, iirc!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2022-01-17, 03:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
So... I'm not sure if this is better fit here in the COVID thread, or in the daily news thread, but I'm so happy with Australia right now for kicking Novak Djokovic out of the country. Fuck him. Some of his supporters will argue that his vaccination status shouldn't matter because he was granted an exemption. I'm glad the government found a way to reverse it. He lied about his test positivity and travel history, which has some significant penalties in Australia. He's lucky to merely be deported. I think he should be banned from re-entry for a period of time.

Apologists for him will argue that he was deported for political reasons, but there are problems with that argument. Politics ultimately is about the process of making decisions in groups that are effected by those decisions. Initially accepting him was equally political by that measure. A looming election might have sharpened the State's reaction, but it's still the right one. I'm so fucking tired of everyone thinking they're special and don't have to follow the same rules. How many Australians have sacrificed over the lock-down periods? They live off tourism to a larger degree than many other nations, but they shut it down in the best interests of the community, and have embraced science based decisions on infection control, including one of the highest vaccination rates. So, it's their country, and their people generally don't want to accept some selfish ass-hole looking for ways to skirt the rules they've all agreed to accept.

I'm putting Australia on my list of post pandemic travel destinations.
I, too, am glad we kicked him out. Although it was handled poorly. A lot of finger pointing between state and federal gov, and Tennis Australia.

I went on a political rant and then thought the better of it.

In short, I love our State governance in Victoria (guided by science and exercising a duty of care for the community), yet I am appalled and dismayed by the lack of leadership, planning, and decency from the federal government.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-22, 12:41

Headed to get my Pfizer booster at 3pm today at the CVS just down the road from me (where I got my two initial jabs last summer)).

I’m hoping my side effects are the same: an overwhelming, raging case of the sleepies; I could use a good 12-hour snooze after this past week.

EDIT: Family-related TMI/oversharing due to a week’s worth of anger/frustration/resentment. I should’ve counted to 6,000 before I posted. But the first paragraph above is all that’s important.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-22 at 13:09.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-01-22, 14:12

Just got notice this morning I could book my booster, going on February 19th.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-01-22, 14:17

Got my booster a couple months ago. It kicked my ass for a couple days. Flu like symptoms and gave me a rash. Didn’t have any symptoms with the first two shots.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-22, 15:33

Oh no, don’t say that. Oh well, it’s t he weekend. If I have to feel lousy, today and tomorrow works better for me than mid-week.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-01-22, 16:38

Got boosted a few weeks ago. Arm hurt for a few days. Same with the second shot back in July. It's only the first shot in May that had some rather intense symptoms (but only for a few hours).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-22, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
...and gave me a rash.
Are we talking at the injection site, or some sort of nasty, unfortunate all-over body thing?

I had such a good experience with my first two (6/23 and 7/14)...a little arm ache/throbbing and some sleepiness that evening. Never got sick/flu-ish, no headache or run-down feeling whatsoever. I guess everyone just handles it differently. I have friends who got a bit sick/yucky feeling that evening and for much of the next day.

I did notice that I felt the one today, and she left it in there a bit longer too (maybe I offended her in a past life). And it was much higher up my arm than my first two, by a good two inches, way up closer to where it rounds into the shoulder area. There's a mild ache there now, two hours later, but certainly not pain or outright discomfort. But I'm betting I'll feel this one a bit overnight, I just have a feeling.

On my second one, back in July, I didn't even feel it. I was waiting for the guy to do it, looking the other direction and kinda closing my eyes (yeah, I know...spare me ) and and he was like "I've been done for about five seconds, buddy...it's over".

This woman today jabbed the shit out of me, in comparison.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-22, 22:42

TMI:

Spoiler (click to toggle):
I got some nasty swollen lymph nodes in the armpit on the injection side when I got my booster
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-22, 23:08

Happy to (still) report, knock on wood, that eight hours later, almost to the minute, I feel great. Just a slight throb in my arm, but actually less than 3-4 hours ago. On a scale of 1-to-10, in terms of aggravation/discomfort/yucky-ness, I’m maybe at about a .375? Not even close to a 1.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-22, 23:18

Each of mine was worse than the last. Never bothered me the day of, but always horrible the next day. Usually done by third day. Two good sleeps seem to do the trick.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-22, 23:20

So far, other than some minor arm discomfort with the first shot, no reactions at all. It was more painful taking off the stupid little band aid they put on than anything else, no worse than any flue shot. We'll see what the next round is like. My parents got their boosters weeks ago, no issues.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-23, 03:38

It’s been 12 hours now. My arm is now maybe a 1 on the knuckle-punched-in-the-muscle scale of 1-to-10. But no actual pain/discomfort, just that throb/dull tickle I felt back in the summer after my first two jabs. No other symptoms or effects whatsoever. I’m only awake because Jasper decided it was time to make meowing, dead-sprint laps through the house at 3am.

“Cat, lay down and go to sleep; this ain’t Joe’s Pool Hall!”
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-01-23, 16:07

You guys are just getting one booster? That's nothing.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-23, 17:24

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-23, 17:33

Yeahhh...

PS - My arm discomfort never got above a 1.5, and that was this morning between 8-noon. It's now been 26+ hours and I feel just fine. I never even got sleepy, like I did last summer. I was up at 1am last night watching guitar re-fretting/nut-slotting videos on YouTube until 2ish.

My mom and sister both have it, but things seem to have settled down and stabilized vs. 2-4 days ago. Mom is on the mend and seemed to get a very mild hit (she peaked Tuesday and has been improving every day since) and my sister finally got moved to a room after 36 hours of being in the ER (and, due to a "clerical/records error", having Drs. Howard, Fine and Howard turn her IV and oxygen off overnight).

Things have once again leveled out and she's feeling much better than she did 12 hours ago. Good grief. Who turns off/disconnects stuff like that without some serious, hardcore instructions to do so? What sort of "clerical error" causes two machines to be disconnected or turned off when there's clearly someone lying there CONNECTED TO THEM?

That's getting into some Agatha Christie shit, there...
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-24, 09:37

I hope your mom and sister are able to come home soon. Part of the difficulty with COVID is that hospital patient visitation is limited and sometimes you just need an extra set of eyes, even if it's just a family member. Stuff happens, extra eyes help. At this point I think a lot of staff are really worn down.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-01-24, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Are we talking at the injection site, or some sort of nasty, unfortunate all-over body thing? .
Sorry, was busy and this got past me.

I got a rash in multiple spots all over. Lasted for 1-2 weeks. Didn't have any issues after that. Nothing on the injection site though.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-24, 10:53

I haven't mentioned this to anyone yet. I told my mom, but that's it. The way things are, I don't have time for it, or I try not to give it too much space in my head... I think I might be a "long-hauler" for whatever that means.

Since the initial infection (10 months ago) I have had recurring periods of fatigue/weakness, what feels like rheumatic pain everywhere, elevated heart rate, and poor night-time O2 saturation, and this upper respiratory chest irritation, like a cough or bronchial irritation.

My blood oxygen used to be excellent/exceptional (talking about 99%). It's probably what would be considered average now (92-94%), but it's not a happy baseline for me. Doctor says that's not concerning considering, it's on the cusp of an indicator of major respiratory event, it's possible I was a lot worse than anyone might have thought, but it should improve eventually. I've been trying to train for the past couple of months, but it hasn't changed much, my legs especially lose all steam, though there's no choice but to keep trying to incrementally build it up and hope the lungs follow or just have to get used to it...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-24, 11:01

Yontsey, interesting. My arm pain faded away before noon yesterday, but last night I felt a slight headache creeping in and it's still kinda here this morning. Nothing bad - I've had far worse - but just enough to let me know it's there. Just a slight nagging dull ache at the top of my forehead and down to "behind" my eyes. But it could also be from some worrying and knotting up these past 3-4 days. Makes total sense.

Matsu, absolutely. I know they're understaffed and overworked (I've got four friends in the healthcare field at various levels/jobs...two RNs, a lab tech and an ENT (otolaryngologist?), and then another who works more in a reception/admitting type of role at a medical center, so I've heard the crazy stories from the front lines during all this.

But I'd never walk into a ward and just turn shit off without records/charts/a doctor blatantly telling me to. It's a clerical/records error. It happens, yeah. But, more than ever, something needs to be in place to ensure it doesn't. Come up with some new double-check protocols, I don't know. But that's how a) people die needlessly (honest mistakes, clerical errors and miscommunication) and b) hospitals get their balls sued off. We've all heard those horror stories.

Sorry to hear about those ongoing things.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-25, 09:36

I hear you. I was in hospital every day for months. General visitation wasn't allowed except for critical/palliative patients. At the ECMO unit, they only allowed visits after she was deemed no longer contagious, which was about two weeks in. I got screened every day and checked in, and nurses were pretty good about just letting me stay in room well past 2hr limit. This hospital was meticulous. No less than 7 med team members covered my wife's care every round. Blood was tested multiple times a day, every mil of fluid in and out was logged. They were incredible. But even there I saw things, a couple of team members that were, let's say, less good, not "bad" but not exceptional. Under provincial orders as soon as she no longer needed the ECMO she was transferred back to the sending hospital to make room, which I understand. Their ICU team were also good, but the subsequent transfer to general medical bed (once off ventilator) showed a marked decrease in quality, IMHO. One day, I caught a change on my wife's chart only because I was in the room (door open) while the nurses station discussed it. They were confirming her "DNR" status. As you can imagine I interrupted them and asked for a doctor immediately! I told them that she was absolutely to be resuscitated. They explained that standard protocol for a COVID positive patient whose lungs/heart fail is DNR, and that it was immediately appended to her chart when she was first admitted with COVID months earlier, (at the community hospital) before being sent for ECMO at Toronto General. I understood that too, but now that she had recovered past critical condition and was returned to the community hospital, the DNR should have been removed, or either she or me should be asked before confirming any DNR status. It never amounted to anything, thank goodness, but despite the daily record keeping, something got lost in translation in the process of admitting her to emergency, transferring her to another hospital for extraordinary measures, and finally transferring her back. If anything had happened and they didn't even try to resuscitate because an order applied on day one was not updated to reflect changes in condition? Hundreds of eyes had consulted her chart by that point...

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-25, 10:31

As with anything quality will vary, nobody is perfect, no matter how good they are. The people that didn’t look good could have been at the long end of a period with no days off, with long days, anyone would start to crack. Also, given how stretched and under staffed hospitals are right now, there are likely still senior med/nursing students being pushed into rolls they are not really ready for as well. It’s a recipe for problems. All in all, when you push people to the limit for too long, they tend to make errors.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-25, 10:40

That's terrifying that your wife would have been marked DNR without family consultation. I understand systemic communication failures because I work in an environment where they often occur. That does not excuse these failures, but understanding how easy it is for them to take place changes the way I interpret them when they do. I do still get angry, whether they happen TO me or because of a system that I'm part of...

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2022-01-25, 10:43

Potentially controversial opinion: I think we need to stop banging on the "get vaccinated" drum. (Bear with me.)

Yes, I'm vaccinated, I think everyone should be. BUT: those who aren't vaccinated yet aren't going to be. We got 80+% compliance, which to be honest, is as much as we're going to get. Some people will not be convinced. We need to find other solutions now. Keep the vaccinations available if people have a change of heart, but the oppressive push on upping vaccination rates is becoming counter-productive. We're expending energy on something that isn't going to work.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-25, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Potentially controversial opinion: I think we need to stop banging on the "get vaccinated" drum. (Bear with me.)

Yes, I'm vaccinated, I think everyone should be. BUT: those who aren't vaccinated yet aren't going to be. We got 80+% compliance, which to be honest, is as much as we're going to get. Some people will not be convinced. We need to find other solutions now. Keep the vaccinations available if people have a change of heart, but the oppressive push on upping vaccination rates is becoming counter-productive. We're expending energy on something that isn't going to work.
Agreed. Push people into a corner and they entrench themselves more.

Doctors are being investigated for make fake vaccine clearance cards. People have even gone as far as hiring homeless people to get the shots for them so they can get the vaccine passports. The vaccine push/mandates just aren’t going to work long term.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-01-25, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post

This is common sense, not controversial.

We're at 90+%. If you came up with a vaccination plan that doesn't work with 90% compliance, it's a terrible plan.

I'm disappointed that we seem to have completely blown off early treatment and just kept banging on the vaccination drum. A family member of mine got covid, and essentially was told just to treat it like a cold, and go to the hospital if it got bad. What kind of pandemic health care is that?

We booked 400 million vaccines for a population of 40 million, but for some reason we've only ordered one million doses of the new antiviral pill as Omicron spreads like wildfire. I guess there's less money in making pills than vaccines.

We're two years into this thing. There's no excuse for positive testers not to be given a personal home care kit with instructions that reduces the burden on ERs as much as possible.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2022-01-25, 14:04

Agreed. The response to actual COVID cases appears to be a shrug nowadays. There doesn't seem to even be a good guide to home care, just "treat it like a cold". I had it a couple of weeks ago and it aint a cold. The lack of any kind of plan for how to treat people at home other than "figure it out for yourselves" after two solid years of knowing about this is disgraceful.

I'm not sure that it is common sense. The push for more vaccination 6 months ago was a valuable tool, and was the right thing to do then, but now it's a waste of effort, but lots of people are still all-in on it. Imagine getting 80%+ of people to all do anything? Even if it was "we want everyone to accept this $100 bill from me" you'd probably still only get 80%.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-25, 15:13

All COVID has done for me is make me realize how screwed we are - as a culture, species, nations, etc. - if something worse ever arrives (COVID or otherwise). Some future mutation that is deadlier than Delta and more contagious than Omicron. We've failed miserably for two years, just taking the warm-up pitches. Governments, individuals, companies, etc. We've slap-fought it in many instances. We've exempted/excepted things that maybe we shouldn't have?

At this point, that's my only real concern. As much as people scream about the death toll we've had thus far (although I've noticed they're a bit selective in that, once leadership changes hands), what are they going to do when it's millions of people catching it, and dying within 48-72 hours, no ifs/ands/buts? When testing positive is pretty much a sure-fire death sentence?

I hope it never happens. Just like I hope a 600-mile asteroid doesn't slam into Missouri or Arkansas. But...I sometimes wonder if things are as bad as it'll get? I certainly hope so. I'd love for this word/discussion to just slowly fade over time, but I don't know if that's how this stuff works. Will it just continue to change and mutate and form new strains - some mild, some an absolute horror show - as time goes on? We'll have "good years" where only 6,000 people died worldwide, and then some years where "we lost 482 million people, in all corners of the planet".

And don't tell me that isn't a plausible, possible scenario. Isn't anything, at this point? Has that not been one of the lessons in all this? Five years ago I wouldn't have believed any of the shit that's happened the past two years around the world could've happened. So my "nah...no way; that's a silly-ass Syfy movie" screen doors are completely off their hinges and I doubt/downplay nothing. I expect anything at this point. I don't dwell on it, I don't wake up from nightmares. But in my quiet moments, I can't help but sometimes wonder "gosh, what if...". *shrug*

I'm human. And I've never wanted to be more wrong and off-track about something in my entire life. I'll be ecstatic to miss that call, and to realize "whew...it was never really possible because [fill in the blank]...".

Show me evidence* that the unthinkable can't happen, or STFU. I'd love to know that it couldn't. Or that it it super-unlikely.

*And not an episode of Joe Rogan or Alex Jones, ffs.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-25 at 15:32.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-25, 15:46

No doubt there could be good periods and bad periods. So far the cycles seem to be every 6-8 months. Anything could happen.

And WHO just released notes on a new Omicron sub variant that is starting to emerge in the US, UK, and India.

Last edited by PB PM : 2022-01-25 at 15:58.