Quality Kids Shows

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Quality Kids Shows
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-10-10, 20:05

Now some of the older members of this board might not be able to participate in this thread, but I'm trying to make a list of shows I would have watched when I was a little younger.

Rescue Rangers
Darkwing Duck
Goof Troop
Wild & Crazy Kids
Hey Dude
Clarissa Explains it All
Salute Your Shorts
Pete 'n Pete
Doug
Rocko's Modern Life
Ahhhh! Real Monsters
Angry Beavers
Ureka's Castle
The Secret World of Alex Mack

Most of these are nick shows but not all of them. I remember I used to watch a dinosaurs show...it was a sitcom, but it was dinosaurs. Did you guys watch these, any I'm forgetting?
xionja

2005-10-10, 20:13

Legends of the Hidden Temple . . .

the red jaguars
blue barracudas
silver snakes

Hidden Temple was pure adrenaline at age 8
BenP

2005-10-10, 20:24

Damn. I remember the dino sitcom but can't remember what it was called. And I don't feel like looking.

Kenan & Kel was pretty funny. I also liked Rugrats and Garfield & Friends. Baldo was good too. I think that was the Disney one with the bear pilot and the chipmunk kid who rode on a boomerang.

I liked the cartoons that I almost never saw, like Earthworm Jim and Swamp Thing. My cousin had some Super Mario cartoons on video.

TMNT kicks ass.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-10, 20:24

Funny you bring this up! Just last night I was finding information about old shows I watched as a kid because I've found that TV today, well, sucks. When I was young, there were some great edutainment shows for kids that didn't treat all of its viewers like complete imbeciles. PBS especially has really gone downhill in the past decade (or two).

Then?
  • 3-2-1 Contact
  • Mr. Wizard's World
  • Newton's Apple
  • Square One
  • Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego (not that crappy cartoon, the show that featured Rockapella)
  • Ghostwriter
  • Bill Nye the Science Guy

Now?
  • Dragon Tales
  • Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Barney and Friends (this is still on??)
  • Teletubbies

wtf?

I'm just glad I'm not a kid growing up today. Television was the babysitter of yesteryear, but at least there was some good programming. Now both computer and television together are the babysitter and both of them have total crap brain-pureeing content for kids.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
BenP

2005-10-10, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
  • Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego (not that crappy cartoon, the show that featured Rockapella)
  • Ghostwriter
  • Bill Nye the Science Guy
Shit, I forgot those three. They were great. Especially Carmen Sandiego. I had the video game and it was hard as shit. So was the Mario game for SNES where you went back in time and had to find the stolen artworks and stuff (basically the same premise but with Mario).
ast3r3x

2005-10-10, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP
Damn. I remember the dino sitcom but can't remember what it was called. And I don't feel like looking.

Kenan & Kel was pretty funny. I also liked Rugrats and Garfield & Friends. Baldo was good too. I think that was the Disney one with the bear pilot and the chipmunk kid who rode on a boomerang.

I liked the cartoons that I almost never saw, like Earthworm Jim and Swamp Thing. My cousin had some Super Mario cartoons on video.

TMNT kicks ass.
Oh yeah! Tailspin, Rugrats, Garfield, all great! Not sure I remember Baldo

Bear pilot...Tailspin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
[*]Ghostwriter
Ghostwriter...I didn't watch it much, but I remember it was pretty sweet from what I used to watch occasionally.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-10-10, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Bear pilot...Tailspin!
Bah, I was going to add Tailspin.

I'll add DuckTales to the list.
ast3r3x

2005-10-10, 20:47

I am drying to download all or most of the theme songs. Ahh nostalgia Wish I could get some of these things on DVD...would have something worth while to show my kids eventually

Maybe I can find some of the shows to download too.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-10-10, 20:53

I remember Bill Nye. I still have a bunch of episodes on VHS somewhere. Of course I don't have a VCR anymore, so they're just wasting space in a closet somewhere.

Now I've graduated to MythBusters.

I believe the dinosaur sitcom was called the Dinosaurs.

Yep.

I googled "dinosaur sitcom" and that was the first link that came up. Google had it's little "Translate this Page" link next to it.
¡Damned!

2005-10-10, 20:53

If you're too young to have watched 'Land of the Lost' then you totally missed out.
ast3r3x

2005-10-10, 20:55

Yeah, I asked my brothers, he said it was called that...and remembered the dad's name was Earl, and there was an annoying baby.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-10-10, 21:00

Ooh, I remember the Carmen Sandiego computer game, too. The only reason I ever beat it was because I had an encyclopedia next to the computer. Fun TV show, though.

I'll second Bill Nye the Science Guy. He was awesome.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-10-10, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Yeah, I asked my brothers, he said it was called that...and remembered the dad's name was Earl, and there was an annoying baby.
I remember something about an episode where they celebrate Refrigerator Day, but his boss decides not to give out Refrigerator Day bonuses, so all they have is a styrofoam cooler.

In another one, the son takes the same job as the dad, and the dad is showing that the method goes along the lines of cut a tree, take a break, eat a donut, cut a tree, and so on.

Woah, it's all coming back to me now. Another bunch of episodes just popped in my head, right down to the way they delivered their lines. I didn't know my memory was that good.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-10-10, 21:04

<SNIP>

Nothing that hasn't been said before.
(TaleSpin, not TailSpin )

"Not the Mama" is still a common phrase in our house.

Last edited by Ebby : 2005-10-10 at 21:09.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-10-10, 21:04

wasn't that dino show supposed to be a total rippoff of the simpsons?

land of the lost was the best. i loved that show. i've been into the dukes of hazzard reruns too. used to love watching those.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
BenP

2005-10-10, 21:37

I thought Baldo was the pilot in TaleSpin...what was his name?

Land of the Lost was good.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-10, 21:44

No, Baloo was the pilot.

Yes, the same Baloo of The Jungle Book fame.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-10-10, 21:44

A new one we really enjoy is Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends on Cartoon Network.
Well written with enough adult references to keep my interest, stylistically owes a little to Monsters Inc.
If it was on Nick it would be huge.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
bb823

Send a message via AIM to bb823  
2005-10-10, 21:51

DuckTales has got to be the best cartoon ever made. Man, what I wouldn't give for a huge safe full of coins that I could swim in....
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2005-10-10, 23:49

You guys all grew up in the wrong age. I mean most of the kids shows you are posting are from the late 80's and early 90's. I mean who wants to watch television when they are trying to teach you something or worse still when the adults are totally sober?

My world growing up consisted of all sorts of ridiculous shows. Most of them made by Hanna Barbara or Sid and Marty Krofft who apparently, were able to slip just about anything past the censors of the time.

First you must imagine all these television writers sitting in a room, all stoned out of their friggin minds and dreaming all these shows up...

70's kid shows

Simply go here and wonder how anyone made it out of the decade alive.

Dude... there's this kid, and he's got a talking flute. He's in a boat and rescued by a dragon....

or....

Dude... there are four kids, and they fly and sing in a band. They live in the flowers...

You have all been deprived if you haven't believed a magic horn could turn your schlepcar into Wonderbug.

Nick
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-10-10, 23:52

Krofft shows were pure kiddie LSD with a crack speedball mixed in for good measure.

Who here remembers Ark II though? How about Aquaboy? Jason of Star Command? Shazam/Isis Power Hour? And yeah, the Sleestaks from Land of the Lost were great.

Edit: Oh sure, NOW I go to the page, and they're all there.
¡Damned!

2005-10-11, 00:09

Monster Squad! Mystery Island! Wonderbug! Holy shits is that ever a great link. Thanks Nick.

Oh, Kick, who wouldn't remember Ark II? Ruth was teh hot.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-10-11, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Monster Squad! Mystery Island! Wonderbug! Holy shits is that ever a great link. Thanks Nick.

Oh, Kick, who wouldn't remember Ark II? Ruth was teh hot.
Heh, yeah.

That's okay, I just realized that three of the girls I've had major crushes on over the years look like Joy from the Bugaloos.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-11, 00:25

Well, since we're bringing up links about old TV shows, some of you might like Retro Junk.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-10-11, 00:41

Two words: Captain Planet.

Actually I hardly ever watched it. I considered it "dorky" even when I was in elementary school. Loved all those PBS shows, though... I remember all of them except Mr. Wizard's World. They really helped develop my interest in science and math. I still have a lot of scientific curiosity even though I haven't been able to keep up with any kind of science or math coursework beyond basic freshman level stuff.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-10-11, 00:46

Mr. Wizard started in what, the late 50's? I still have a Mr. Wizard experiments book... no way you'd be able to get away with publishing that sort of thing for kids these days. The flour cannon was my favorite. Or was it the invisible giant? Decisions, decisions.

As for influential kids tv... I defy anyone here between the ages of 30 and 45 to recite the preamble to the Constitution *WITHOUT* singing it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-11, 00:51

1951 to be precise!

Don Herbert was so awesome. I think I can thank him for my keen interest in science today.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-10-11, 00:56

They didn't run Mr. Wizard where I lived, but his book certainly sparked my interest early.

My folks were second guessing the wisdom of getting me the book when I decided to see how *BIG* a flour cannon I could make in the kitchen though. Rattled the whole house. I think I was 6.
¡Damned!

2005-10-11, 01:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
As for influential kids tv... I defy anyone here between the ages of 30 and 45 to recite the preamble to the Constitution *WITHOUT* singing it.
I remember being the only person in my class in 6th grade ((?)maybe earlier) that didn't even have to look at the handout to memorize it. But, yeah, it took a little bit of playback-rewind in my head to keep it from seeming like I wasn't putting it to music (oh, come to think about it now, I fucked it up the first time...there was no "of the United States of America" at the beginning of the song... ).

Schoolhouse Rock rocked.

So it goes.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-10-11, 01:03

Damn, I thought I was the only one to have a crush on the pink Bugaloo when I was, what, four or five years old?

Since that one's been taken, how about the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show? There's some more adult references that flew over kids' heads.