AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

New Nightly Build Firefox Rocks!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Nightly Build Firefox Rocks!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-09-08, 15:44

Today there were some major updates in firefox from actual skin to some really cool stuff like the new popup blocker message on top of the pages. so download the nightlybuild

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...fox-mac.dmg.gz

here is a pic

http://www.unex-t.com/firefoxnightly.jpg

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's

Last edited by Brad : 2004-09-08 at 18:49. Reason: IMAGE TOO LARGE. Limit inline images to 600 pixels wide.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-08, 18:34

Good call. Thanks for the link... downloading now.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2004-09-08, 18:50

Hey, that looks, like, usable. Downloading...
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-09-08, 19:35

Pretty funny, that's leeched from the new Internet Explorer in XP SP2. I also noticed that FireFox has the RSS indicator a la Tiger.
Mass Appeal

2004-09-08, 19:48

Why do you use Firefox as opposed to Safari? I don't know much about the pros and cons of the two browsers and any help would be appriciated.
Quagmire
meh

2004-09-08, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Appeal
Why do you use Firefox as opposed to Safari? I don't know much about the pros and cons of the two browsers and any help would be appriciated.
I use firefox on my Pmac G4 400 Mhz running jaguar. Safari in jaguar(or at least mine) sucks. It is slow.(not as much as IE though) Firefox on it runs faster then Safari and IE. But, I downloaded it on my pbook and safari was faster so I deleted firefox on pbook.

giggity
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-08, 19:51

I don't see much different in the latest nightly. Nothing very different from the last time I downloaded a nightly build a while back. I'm still using the 0.9.3 milestone release.

Anyway, the main advantage of Firefox is the ability to use Extensions. One of the most popular extensions is AdBlock, a very easy-to-use way of blocking banner ads and flash ads. It's also extremely effective. The other thing is that Firefox is a bit faster. The main disadvantage is that it uses ugly, non-OS X buttons, and there's no spell checker. Download it and try it out.
Mass Appeal

2004-09-08, 19:57

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-08, 20:18

SWEET MOTHER OF MOLASSES ON A STICK. They *FINALLY* figured out how to hide that stupid window that floats off screen. It's still there, but at least Exposé doesn't show it.

About damn time!

Edit: I overreacted too quickly. The bugger is still there after all.

BTW, a few other disadvantages of Firefox after a few minutes of use:
  • Sheets used where they shouldn't be.
  • Sheets not used where they should be.
  • No click-wheel support on links.
  • Scroll wheel is super fast, ignoring system settings.
  • Incomplete scroll wheel support.
  • Apple-` still activates the "hidden" offscreen window.
  • No keyboard shortcut for switching tabs (at least, I couldn't find it)
Granted, it is a very nice browser, but it's still not perfect and I probably won't be using it full time until someone integrates some native widgetry into it. Most people don't care so much about an app behaving properly on its host OS; so, it'll be great for a lot of folks.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-08, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Appeal
I have to use Firefox for an online course I'm doing b/c Safari 1.0 (v85.5) won't get me in to the homepage for some reason.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-08, 20:41

I agree with almost all your points, Brad. Sheets are used inconsistently, and I'll often find a window (for example, the find on page window) that can only be closed by clicking "Cancel," with the close box grayed out. That's stupid. One of those windows has a grayed out close box and NO way of closing it otherwise, forcing you to quit and relaunch to get it to work. If the Mozilla guys want this browser to be taken seriously on the Mac side, they should get a couple people working on making it nice. They can axe Camino for all I care, as long as they make the Mac version of Firefox a lot nicer. Right now there are a lot of features that are only in one or the other. Camino has a much more Mac-friendly interface, but no support for extensions. Why not? It seems pointless to put work into making two okay Mac browsers - they should make a single really good one that can compete with OmniWeb and Safari not just on features, but on the basis of polish and ease of use.

You talk about no click-wheel support. I have my scroll click set to command-click, and that works fine for me. But you're right that it doesn't work unless you use third-party mouse drivers to assign command-click to the middle button. Also, the keyboard shortcut for switching tabs is control-tab and control-shift-tab. It's a bad combo that forces your hand to move a lot, but at least it's there.

Another thing I really hate is that you can't hold down shift while scrolling to get horizontal scrolling. That needs to be there. Really, they should just merge the Camino and Firefox-Mac teams and have them make a really nice browser with all the advanced features of Firefox. Right now I'm still using Firefox for its ability to block flash ads and banner ads more effectively than anything else out there, but sometimes it gets on my nerves.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-09-08, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
BTW, a few other disadvantages of Firefox after a few minutes of use:
  • No keyboard shortcut for switching tabs (at least, I couldn't find it)
Ctrl-tab is the tab switcher. Also Cmd-# for a specific tab (numbered from left to right).

I'll add another gripe to the list:
In dual monitor mode - putting the browser window in the non-primary (without menubar) monitor, and control-clicking causes the contextual menu to show up in the primary monitor. Very annoying.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-08, 20:46

Damn. Latest nightly is a bit better than before, but it doesn't support the latest version of AdBlock. I'll have to stay with the old version until this is fixed. Hopefully 1.0 comes soon!
usurp

2004-09-09, 01:31

MCQ thanks, didnt know Cmd # got u a specific tab. pretty cool.

only problem i have faced with the latest nightly build which is btw FireFox 1.0 now is that BugMeNot doesnt work with it.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
usurp

2004-09-09, 01:35

Luca how can i block flash ads?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-09, 02:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Damn. Latest nightly is a bit better than before, but it doesn't support the latest version of AdBlock.
Unfortunately, the main developer for AdBlock is using Mac OS 9 with Mozilla 1.3.1 (WaMCoM version). I don't think he has access to Firefox to test and fix code for. Since Firefox and Mozilla both use the same architecture for the extensions, I'm suspecting that something just broke in the Firefox nightly.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ZO

2004-09-09, 04:33

Safari still has some problems on some sites I visit.
Especially on my company's Webmail. (damn Novell... )
thequicksilver

Send a message via AIM to thequicksilver Send a message via MSN to thequicksilver Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver 
2004-09-09, 08:22

Quote:
SWEET MOTHER OF MOLASSES ON A STICK. They *FINALLY* figured out how to hide that stupid window that floats off screen. It's still there, but at least Exposé doesn't show it.
Having just downloaded it, that's certainly not the case here. The extra window shows up here just as it's always done. It's the same with the two other Mozilla separate suite apps like Thunderbird and Sunbird too.

Though the app still doesn't appear to be 100% dock aware. Whenever a new window is opened, it's still the same window size, but lower down the screen, and encroaching under my always visible dock. Grr.

But I'm looking forward to 1.0. I've been on Firefox (prevously Firebird and Phoenix) since 0.5 so to have a proper Mac version to replace the buggy and annoying Safari (which has a major aversion to animated gifs, it seems) would be pleasing.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-09-09, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
Luca how can i block flash ads?
i can field that one. it's called 'Adblock'. but, as claimed in this thread, it might not work with the latest nightly. here's a link. basically, you run your browser as per usual, and you can click on this little button (on my browser its in the bottom-right corner, labeled 'Adblock'). it lists all the images/flash files on the current page. click on one and click add. if you know regular expressions, i think you can write one or some to block a lot of images/flashes at once. typically i would do it like this: "http://*.doubleclick.net/*" that'd block basically anything from www.doubleclick.net, ad.doubleclick.net and anyother blahblah.doubleclick.net they come up with. Adblock, for some images/flash files puts a little button flying right over an image/flash, so you can click on that button directly and block the offending ad.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-09, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequicksilver
Having just downloaded it, that's certainly not the case here. The extra window shows up here just as it's always done. It's the same with the two other Mozilla separate suite apps like Thunderbird and Sunbird too.
Crap. You're right.

Strangely enough, when I tried it last night, the little window didn't appear in my Exposé "show all", but that's because I was using an external monitor for my PowerBook. Apparantly, it somehow hides if you have a dual-monitor setup. On a single-monitor setup, it shill shows like always. Grrr.

See:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exposed.jpg (34.6 KB, 147 views)

usurp

2004-09-09, 13:34

one thing i noticed. they fixed the saved passwords thing. i used to have a problem where when i visit a login page it would only display my username without my pass. i had to type the first letter of my username in the username box and then get the drop down list, select my username from the list and then it would put the password.

now i just go to the login page and my username and pass are there.

onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-09-09, 15:09

The nightly builds of Camino have also changed slightly. The changes, as far as I can tell, are similar to those that have been introduced into the nightly builds of firefox.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-09, 15:30

The current nightly builds of Camino also have replaced the clumsy centered "standard" tabs with a custom widget. The tabs are still far from perfect, but it's a nice improvement for a first try.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-09, 15:56

Screw FireFox...what about the new version of Adium?

Sorry to send y'all off topic...I was just angry.

FireFox looks sweet, but until I have a reason to use it, I probably wont.

Come waste your time with me
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2004-09-09, 16:08

Quote:
The tabs are still far from perfect, but it's a nice improvement for a first try.
Exactly, Mozilla is doing an awsome job with the development of their browsers. I would still like to see an RSS feature in Camino but Im sure they will add that sooner than later.
usurp

2004-09-09, 17:05

its cool we have soo many choices in browsers. if only we can get 1 browser now that has the best features from each.
usurp

2004-09-13, 08:28

anyone tried the find feature. its really cool now u get a find bar at the bottom of th screen.

press CMD F
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2004-09-13, 12:14

Wow that is so cool.
usurp

2004-09-14, 03:16

isn't it? dont know how i missed that until now...
the Highlight feature is soooooooooooooo practical!!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-09-14, 08:07

1.0PR was released today. you should go download it, give it a whirl.