Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Mysterious iChat Update 1.0

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mysterious iChat Update 1.0
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-05, 12:09

There's an item called iChat Update 1.0 in Software Update now.

Quote:
This update renews the .Mac certificate required by iChat for encrypting text, audio, and video conferences.

This document will be updated as more information becomes available.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304899

That's the entire download description from the link above. Let the wild cell phone speculation begin!

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-01-05, 12:11

Certificates have to be renewed on an annual basis don't they?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-01-05, 12:13

It sucks that this requires a reboot too. I installed it and wasn't ready for a reboot. Oh well, I don't notice any differences but I also don't do heavy iChat use either.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-05, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Certificates have to be renewed on an annual basis don't they?
I don't even have .Mac. I've only opened iChat a couple of times. I'd think that if it was really just .Mac-related, it wouldn't have popped up for me.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2007-01-05, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
I don't even have .Mac. I've only opened iChat a couple of times. I'd think that if it was really just .Mac-related, it wouldn't have popped up for me.
I don't have Aperture, but I had to install all of those updates. Apple doesn't care if you use it
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-01-05, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375 View Post
I don't have Aperture, but I had to install all of those updates. Apple doesn't care if you use it
If you don't have an app, it doesn't tell you to update. If you have an app but don't use it, that's a different story.

I think fcgriz's point was that since he doesn't have .mac the update certainly wouldn't be .mac related. I agree.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-01-05, 12:44

maybe ichat will actually start up and LOG IN when i have it as a start up item

EDIT: nope
rasmits
rams it

2007-01-05, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
Doesn't mean you may not have .Mac at some point later, or someone with .Mac will log in using your computer. They don't know that.

.Mac encryption is an integral part of iChat, whether you use it or not. If it needs updating, Apple will update every copy of iChat.

I don't have a Moto ROKR, but I was still prompted to download the iTunes Phone Drivers and those without iPods used to get iPod updates (before that was taken care of in iTunes).

So yeah, certificates need to be updated every year. But if somehow people want to connect this with an iPhone be my guest.

You had me at asl

Last edited by rasmits : 2007-01-05 at 17:14.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-01-05, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
maybe ichat will actually start up and LOG IN when i have it as a start up item

EDIT: nope
iChat -> Preferences - > Accounts -> Account information -> "When iChat opens, Automatically log in"
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-01-05, 17:17

So, has anyone taken the update to pieces to see what it was?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-01-05, 17:23

Man but you guys sure do get twitchy around Macworld don'tcha? Keep it together, keep it together, keep it together.....
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2007-01-05, 17:33

*Shakes uncontrollably*
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-05, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
So, has anyone taken the update to pieces to see what it was?
Exactly what Apple claims it to be. New certificates for the .mac encryption feature.

Why would it be anything else?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-01-05, 18:03

If I was Jobs, I totally would release a "Mysterious Update" just before Macworld, just to watch all the fanboys try to pick it apart to see what it is.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-01-05, 18:27

Well you know there is a lavatory just offstage at the convention center.... figure he's released a few mysterious downloads there once or twice in his time.
rasmits
rams it

2007-01-05, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Well you know there is a lavatory just offstage at the convention center.... figure he's released a few mysterious downloads there once or twice in his time.

But seriously, it would be great if "DO NOT UPLOAD TO SOFTWARE UPDATE SERVER UNTIL AFTER MACWORLD" poped up as an update.

Inside was just a .dmg with various images of Steve Jobs pointing and laughing at the camera.

You had me at asl