User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Loading OSX on Non-Apple Intel laptops - why not??

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Loading OSX on Non-Apple Intel laptops - why not??
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
MrWizard

2006-12-26, 12:01

I need help in understanding the technical reasons why you cannot load OSX onto a Windows machine now that Apple has Intel based machines.

Is there a HW check on the mother board to verify its a Mac or is it a SW registry that only allows Mac's to boot?

Pls help me understand this ... have a great day!!!
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-12-26, 12:10

This should answer all your questions: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

You can run OS X on a PC, but not legitimately or at full tilt, IIRC. I think it does perform a brief hardware check, but I'll defer to someone else on exactly what it does.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-12-26, 12:13

OSX on Intel machines requires EFI (sp?) (next generation BIOS), so it wont run on a standard PC without hacking.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-12-26, 12:27

If you are asking why Apple do not release a copy of OSX for regular-PC's however, the answer is mostly because Apple computers are their main source of income, unlike Microsoft, who sell Windows as its main revenue.
MrWizard

2006-12-26, 12:30

Thanks for the link ... and of course Apple wouldn't want to loose their revenue stream from HW :-D

Appreciate the quick reply!!! HAGD ...
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-26, 12:32

Oh, and welcome to Applenova!

Studies have shown that 90% of new users make some annoying mistake within their first week of membership. Read the Posting Guidelines and you'll be fine.
spikeh
BANNED

2006-12-26, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dobbs View Post
Studies have shown that 90% of new users make some annoying mistake within their first week of membership.
WindowsRookie is the longest running such study.
MrWizard

2006-12-26, 12:36

Hmmm .... so it is possible to hack it. Is there anywhere documenting this? I am experimenting only .... until i get my new Mac Book :-)

Thanks for your time ...
spikeh
BANNED

2006-12-26, 12:41

http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2005/08/3937/ should help, and check the usual sources for the hacked .iso file. Remember that simply because it's running on PC hardware it doesn't make it any less illegal than downloading and cracking Windows XP or Vista.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-26, 12:44

Dangerous territory guys. Its illegal and links shouldn't be provided as such. Wouldn't try it, just wait for the Macbook, it will probably be unstable and you will not get the "apple effect" from using it.
spikeh
BANNED

2006-12-26, 12:48

I deliberately didn't provide any 'hot' information. If you check the content of that link, it's far from illegal.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-26, 12:49

I know, I'm just keeping tabs on newbie
spikeh
BANNED

2006-12-26, 12:51

Ah, silly me. This is what I get for lying in bed for 10 hours just surfing the net Time to get up, shower, and, er, go to bed.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-12-26, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh View Post
WindowsRookie is the longest running such study.
Was that really necessary? I mean really?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-26, 13:04

Yes. Yes it was.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-12-26, 13:09

K, Rob.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-26, 13:17

Quote:
Dangerous territory guys. Its illegal and links shouldn't be provided as such. Wouldn't try it, just wait for the Macbook, it will probably be unstable and you will not get the "apple effect" from using it.
I think such a project would be almost forcibly academic in nature without proper driver support. IMO it's not illegal until Apple's lawyers swoop in.

EDIT: Would it really be illegal anyway? If you have a legitimate copy of OS X and are only using it on one machine...there's no reverse engineering going on...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-12-26, 13:31

Quote:
Yes. Yes it was.
I beg to differ.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-12-26, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I think such a project would be almost forcibly academic in nature without proper driver support. IMO it's not illegal until Apple's lawyers swoop in.

EDIT: Would it really be illegal anyway? If you have a legitimate copy of OS X and are only using it on one machine...there's no reverse engineering going on...
Sure, if you uninstall it from your normal Mac, which would be quite messed up. (There is currently no such thing as a retail copy of OS X for Intel.) Even then you'd still be violating the EULA, which depending on the country you're living in may be binding, and may constitute contract breach.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-26, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I beg to differ.
meh

I was only joking.
chucker

2006-12-26, 13:55

Quote:
meh

I was only joking.
Excuses!
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-26, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Sure, if you uninstall it from your normal Mac, which would be quite messed up. (There is currently no such thing as a retail copy of OS X for Intel.) Even then you'd still be violating the EULA, which depending on the country you're living in may be binding, and may constitute contract breach.
To address the first, you could probably buy a shrinkwrapped version of 10.4 and the EULA would apply to the Apple system. I couldn't find any official definition of separate OS X for Intel or PPC products. And their clause about Apple-labeled systems is shaky too given how modular the components are. On my Power Mac G4 I can readily swap out pretty much anything, but the mainboard without a hitch.

And as you suggest, EULAs are rarely enforced by a judge's ruling here in the US.

Last edited by Eugene : 2006-12-26 at 14:59.
spikeh
BANNED

2006-12-26, 14:04

It isn't bullying if it's WR. It isn't murder, either.

He knows I love him and his outlandish hopes for Sony's future, really.
MrWizard

2006-12-27, 13:53

OK all ... drop the thread pls. This was an intellectual question. Besides, you were all newbee's at one time so give me a little slack.

Have a great day and thanks for the comments - that should stop now :-)
spikeh
BANNED

2006-12-27, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWizard View Post
OK all ... drop the thread pls. This was an intellectual question. Besides, you were all newbee's at one time so give me a little slack.

Have a great day and thanks for the comments - that should stop now :-)
Nobody is criticising you dude The friendly local constabulary will let you know if you step out of line on contentious topics, and given the rather 'hot-potato'-ish post title I think it's fairly safe to assume that one if not many of them have read and condoned this thread. Relax, and welcome
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-12-27, 16:13

welcome to AN
BenRoethig

2007-01-04, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWizard View Post
I need help in understanding the technical reasons why you cannot load OSX onto a Windows machine now that Apple has Intel based machines.

Is there a HW check on the mother board to verify its a Mac or is it a SW registry that only allows Mac's to boot?

Pls help me understand this ... have a great day!!!
Apple uses the modern EFI as its firmware. The Windows world is still using the 80s dinosaur known as BIOS and MS has no plans to move forward in that regard. Beyond that I'm sure Apple has steps in place should PCs move to EFI. This is stating facts. For the record, I'm far from one of the isolation crowd.
chucker

2007-01-04, 10:56

Mac OS X does not require EFI to boot, nor does it use the TPM in any way (it doesn't even ship with a driver for it). The main stumbling block is that more and more of its code relies on SSE3.

Microsoft has supported EFI in some versions of Windows for a while, Windows Vista will support it in a future service pack, but only in 64-bit mode.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-01-04, 16:22

MrWizard, get me out of here! I understand your desire to test drive OS X before dropping over a grand on a MacBook, but quite frankly, you'd be using OS X on something that it was never designed to support, and as a result, you would hardly have the best experience with it. If you want to try out OS X, it would be better (and less illegal) to borrow a friend's Mac, or else pay a visit to an Apple Store. That's what they're there for, anyhow.

Welcome to the boards.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-01-04, 16:29

I agree with Roboman. I got a few hours use of a friend's iBook G4 while I was doing an essay and after those few hours I was sold. Just tinker with an actual Mac for a few hours and then you'll be able to decide whether a MacBook is for you.