2007-01-09, 14:06

Minds are blown.
Money will be too.
Your thoughts on the iPhone.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-01-09, 14:09

Meh.

Seriously, it's a cool device but personally to replace my phone I'd want something that exceeds the battery life I currently get. Also, my phone has taken numerous 5-6 foot drops and yes the casing is scratched but it still works great. I'm not sure this new phone would be able to handle my klutziness.

Also, how easy will it be able to dial while driving? I have speed-dial keys setup and with just a screen it would take practice to hit the proper area of the screen just using touch alone.

spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-01-09, 14:11

1. Great interface - excited to see the extensibility options it offers us.
2. They've done well to separate it from the "Big" iPods and by limiting it to 8GB they can make sure there is a market for both.
3. Wish it was a bigger capacity all the same.
4. Steve will retire this year.

rasmits
rams it

2007-01-09, 14:12

I'll probably get it for the iPod/Internet abilities, but not for the phone features.

Hopefully that's possible. I'm on T-Mobile and an unlocked version is going to be even MORE expensive.

You had me at asl

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-09, 14:12

I must say, this thing is amazing, but how about offering it sans-phone? I'd love to have this thing, but I want my phone to just be a phone. An iPod like this would be amazing. I'd gladly give $400 for a hard-drive version of this without phone functionality.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

Wrao
Yarp

2007-01-09, 14:15

I'm impressed with the modern techno toy, but I think, as Steve said, it's 5 years ahead of its time... and that's not a good thing

Partial
Stallion

2007-01-09, 14:17

It is really cool, but I have a hunch it is going to be a little too rich for average joes blood, and a little too fancy for the blackberry'd corporate american blood. I think its super duper cool, but i'd expect no less than 32gb memory for 600 usd bones.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-01-09, 14:17

Wasn't the Newton about 5 years ahead of its time???

hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2007-01-09, 14:19

It looks good but static pictures simply don't give me enough idea about how easy it is to use.

I'm sure before June 2007 I'll know enough to see if I want to create a Cingular account. I hope Gmail eventually offers push features. I'd like that.

omgwtfbbq

Edna Crabtree

2007-01-09, 14:21

Cool idea. Cool technology. Probably not something I'd ever own. Like fcgriz, I just want a phone to be a phone. And being locked to one provider doesn't interest me..., a little too proprietary in a way. I think the Newton comparison is pretty apt here, unfortunately.

Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-01-09, 14:21

Even though it's a really cool machine, my ultimate phone fantasy actually, I had just downgraded from a Treo (broken touch screen!) to a non-syncing Nokia 6310i dino, which is actually all I appear to need (ok I'm not a free lancer anymore)

I wonder what will be charged for data transfer, considering only Cingular offers it and no competing companies...?

And will it last the full 2 years of the Cingular contract?

I think it will be about 2010 when the price/benefit ratio of a machine like this is about my level (took 3 years with the iPod as well).

datapusher

2007-01-09, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Wasn't the Newton about 5 years ahead of its time???
shhhhhh let's not talk about such things.

LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2007-01-09, 14:23

It's safe to assume now that at least one of Leopard's (and iTunes') secrets involves this iPhone.

Speaking of which, it now appears that Apple bought the iPhone name from Cisco. (Source.)

"Virtually bursting with adequatulence."

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-01-09, 14:28

Wow. It gets its own tab on the Apple homepage.

They really think this thing is going to be revolutionary.

blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2007-01-09, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
It's safe to assume now that at least one of Leopard's (and iTunes') secrets involves this iPhone.

Speaking of which, it now appears that Apple bought the iPhone name from Cisco. (Source.)
Ah, I was wondering about that.

neiltc13

2007-01-09, 14:31

I am 100% disgusted at Apple's blatant disregard for the international (and specifically UK) markets. Why bother announcing a product around one year before launch and give no reference to it on the country's homepage?

Really, $599 usually translates into something like £400 once all the taxes and things are factored in and this is something I simply don't want to buy.

Also, why the HELL is it 320x480? That has to be the single most ridiculous resolution for a media gadget ever. It's not 16:9 so all my 16:9 TV shows wouldn't show properly on it and would be subject to stupid black bars or edge cutting.

That and the fact we've got no sort of content on the UK store still.

Am I the only one also baffled as to Apple going to MacWorld and not announcing a single Mac product?

zsummers
Avast!

2007-01-09, 14:33

The iPhone reminds me of the early iPod: small capacity, crap battery life, high price, but (what appears to be) a revolutionary interface and design.

So, Newton comparisons aside, if Apple, Inc. commits to and develops the iPhone like it did the iPod, count me in. Of course, I hope that the point at which it works out the kinks is also the point at which I don't necessarily have to use Cingular.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-01-09, 14:35

I love it.

This keynote blew me away. The iPhone really is going to be the iPod for the next half decade. Hell, in some ways it's going to be the new Macintosh, too.

The iPhone is huge for Apple, and I have no problems with it being the centerpiece of the keynote.

If it was up to Apple, "MacWorld" would be called "AppleWorld," anyway.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-01-09, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
The iPhone reminds me of the early iPod: small capacity, crap battery life, high price, but (what appears to be) a revolutionary interface and design.
Exacly what I thought. The first version of most things seems to suck a little bit. Like the first video ipod with only 1.5hours of battery while wacthing video.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-01-09, 14:42

Alright, who changed the name of my thread??!?

faust

2007-01-09, 14:59

Can't wate to see the final specs when it his the market, I'm sure they'll be a few tweaks along the way.

Need to go home and find out when my Verizon Blackberry contract is up so I can switch over.

Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-01-09, 15:00

So much is up to the tech. Does it have packet switched connectivity? (GPRS is common in 100€ phones here.) Can you run your own apps freely?

If the answers to those questions are yes and yes, expect being connected to the net 24/7, running instant messengers, iChat, Skype and yet unimagined apps in your pocket.

If not, this is just another expensive phone, albeit a very good one.

The real revolution has come when all your traffic is IP data.

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-01-09, 15:01

Good article by a Time reporter who got a sneak peek:

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...575410,00.html

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-01-09, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daftgem View Post
Apple is thinking globally here, but I suspect this may be a flop.
Ahaha...no.

RIM's stock dropped $10 before Jobs finished introducing the damn thing.

The iPhone is going to be huge.

And I liked that Time article. I agree that the iPhone is actually misnamed...I would have prefered Fuji.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-01-09, 15:18

I think it's an awesome device but they're pretty cocky about going for 1% marketshare. That's a deceptively large number.

Do they really think they have any chance of getting 1% of the gargantuan cell phone market, with a locked $500 phone that requires you to sign up for a two year contract with Cingular (and there's no choice as to the carrier)? Pretty cocky of them.

It is awesome, though, and I'd love to have one if for no other reason than to have a cool little techno-toy for staging my own Star Trek fantasy reenactment.

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-01-09, 15:19

mmmm, i've been a happy verizon customer ever since i got a cell phone...we have everyone in my family on verizon-many of us...

doubt i would switch...still would love to buy one

nice time article..thanks for the link

i assume this will work with iCal and address book...so basically you don't need a pda

the iPhone will do phone calls, calendars, contacts, email, surf the web, play music and play movies and share photos...not a bad little package

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough

noleli2

2007-01-09, 15:24

I found it really hard to tell when it was using over-the-air IP and when it was using the WiFi. I assume that it was using WiFi for all the browsing and e-mail stuff, but he gave the impression that it could all be done on the Cingular network, which it probably can't.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-01-09, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
i assume this will work with iCal and address book...so basically you don't need a pda

the iPhone will do phone calls, calendars, contacts, email, surf the web, play music and play movies and share photos...not a bad little package

g
It almost could replace most of my usage with my laptop at this point. If someone just came out with a portable foldable keyboard for it or something

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-01-09, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2 View Post
I found it really hard to tell when it was using over-the-air IP and when it was using the WiFi. I assume that it was using WiFi for all the browsing and e-mail stuff, but he gave the impression that it could all be done on the Cingular network, which it probably can't.
Why do you say that? I already do all of that on my treo.

Addison

2007-01-09, 15:32

I have to say this looks like a consumer device and I doubt it will dent the sales of Blackberrys or Treo's. How does it handle Office documents, why was there no demonstration of it's corporate abilities. Does it work with Exchange Server? Can it be used with one hand, does it do voice recognition for calling?

Fools rush in where other fear to tread, when the dust settles Apple will re-think this device and address these things. It looks expensive for consumers, who want to ditch their 80gb iPod for an 8gb phone? When the capacity is better it will be better placed but I doubt Apple can reach a 1% market share with this at this price level and specification.

I am sure Apple can exceed 1%, but not withthis the way it is something will have to give, and it will probably be price in the first instance.