Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

ATTN: Web Developers - Need help replying to email

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
ATTN: Web Developers - Need help replying to email
intlplby
Veteran Member

2007-03-08, 18:16

I received the following e-mail yet I don't have the technical background to give a really solid rebuttal

Quote:
Hi Andrew,

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with TEMPO. Unfortunately, there are no plans to make TEMPO work with any other browsers any time soon. The fact is, cross-browser compatibility for a program of TEMPO's complexity is much more complicated than you might think. Adding support for just one more browser would virtually double our development and quality assurance efforts.

More to the point, our development plans are almost entirely dictated by the wishes of our customers (e.g., your real estate board), and cross-browser compatiblity has simply not been a high priority for them -- they would rather we spent our time adding new and enhanced features. It really is a trade-off: if we supported multiple browsers, the MLS system would not have nearly the depth of features that it does today.

Ultimately, we do whatever our customers want, however, so if this is something that you are really interested in, I suggest you lobby your real estate board directly. They need to hear from people like you so they are effectively representing the interests of their members.

Regards,
--------

Tempo is only supported on Internet Explorer

If they stuck with standards then this statement would not be true, right?
Quote:
Adding support for just one more browser would virtually double our development and quality assurance efforts.
If there is anything you want me to find out about Tempo, I can... The company that makes it is MarketLinx
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2007-03-08, 18:57

If they stuck to standards the program probably would not work in IE
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-03-08, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
If they stuck to standards the program probably would not work in IE
And it would probably work with only minor tweaks in every other browser.

One thing I feel like everyone misunderstands about multi-browser support is this: there are two kinds of browsers: IE, and standards-compliant ones. Multi-browser support isn't having one set of code for Firefox, one for Safari, and one for Opera, its having one set of code for ALL of those, with only a few minor tweaks for each one.

However, the universe at large isn't really ready to accept open-source solutions over Microsoft ones*, so this is probably a battle you can't win. Not right now.

*Disclaimer: I am probably a little bitter over just having lost my job in defense of open standards over propetary bullshit, so take that with a grain of salt.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2007-03-09, 00:38

i appreciate the response but can someone help me create a good counter argument that has technical evidence to back it up