AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Files from PC to Mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Files from PC to Mac
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2004-11-05, 02:39

Sorry about that, let me start over (late and doesn't help I'm not smart).

I currently use a PC for most of my major computer buisness, which mostly means wordprocessing, music download, AIM, and some random PC game. I also own an IMAC that I'm starting to use more and more but I"m still not completely used to OS X yet so I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to that.

My problem is that I have a whole bunch of files (over 4 gigs worth) on my PC that I want to get over to my IMAC. My question then, is there any way that I can get my PC to share files over my network that will allow my MAC to read it?

Hope that's more clear, my apologies about earlier.

And All That Could Have Been

Last edited by Argento : 2004-11-05 at 04:21.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-05, 02:47

Huh? Please try to proofread what you type before hitting submit. I had to reread your post twice before I understood what you were trying to say.

Have you ever checked out the Sharing pane in System Preferences on your iMac? There are several options you could enable on your Mac. Windows Sharing or FTP would probably be easiest.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-11-05, 02:58

I'm really not sure what you're asking either
(no offense, but English is not your native language, I assume?)

I think you are saying you have your music on your PC and you need to get it to your Mac so you can load it on your iPod.

You need to make your Windows box enable file sharing on your Music folder, and then use SMB on the Mac to via Connect to Server under the Go menu in the Finder.

see http://www.macwindows.com for waaay more info
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2004-11-05, 04:22

English is my native laungage, however actual thought process is not the norm for me.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2004-11-05, 04:44

So far though I'm completely in the dark about how to do this. I enabled windows sharing in the control panel on my MAC but I can't connect to my PC (IP is 192.168.2.2). Says it can't connect to the server. I have no idea how to make my PC a "server." I've enabled file sharing on the folders where the files reside that I want me MAC to have. Any suggestions at this point?

And All That Could Have Been
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-11-05, 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento
So far though I'm completely in the dark about how to do this. I enabled windows sharing in the control panel on my MAC but I can't connect to my PC (IP is 192.168.2.2). Says it can't connect to the server. I have no idea how to make my PC a "server." I've enabled file sharing on the folders where the files reside that I want me MAC to have. Any suggestions at this point?
Go the other way. Turn on file sharing on the Mac. Open up System Preferences and select the Sharing pane. There you can select "Windows Sharing" and it'll tell you the address you tell your PC to connect to.

On the PC, right click on the My Computer icon and select "map network drive" and follow the steps there to mount your Mac's HD on your PC.