AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Help Me Kill Every Last One of Them

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help Me Kill Every Last One of Them
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-03-10, 18:16

I live in very humid Orlando, FL which seems to have the highest per-capita of mosquitos on the planet and it seems like an entire colony has sprung up in my outdoor grill, around the base by the propane tank. I have tried to get rid of these pesky beasts by cleaning the grill and then running it at high heat for awhile... but their still there. How do I kill them so that I can cook in peace, and prevent them from invading my house while I transition in and out with the food? Any and all advice appreciated!

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-10, 18:26

Dry out and denude the ground under it?

I had the same problem in NC, never did find a solution. The big-assed propane powered skeeter suckers apparently do a phenomenal job, but are around $1k. Your best bet is to find the source - wherever there's standing water, drain it or spread BT (bacillus thuringensis - bacteria lethal to mosquito larva).

BTW... skeeters in *MARCH*?!? Jesus, remind me to never move to FL.
elvia

2008-03-10, 18:39

I have a mosquito magnet. Probably the type kickaha mentioned. Cost for a 1.25 acre unit costs $1,200.00 It takes 2 weeks to clear out a area. A smaller model (Liberty) costa about $500.00. Mosquitos are territorial.
Another bit of info is that when they head out to feed, they fly against the wind. That way, when they are full they use the wind to help them return to their nesting site. Once you clear out a site, if there is no water or such for them the area will stay clear until a larger than normal wind blows more into your area.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-03-10, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Dry out and denude the ground under it?
I had to look up denude, that's a new word for me. But the grill actually sits on a brick patio of sorts. I'll try and get down there this Friday and see where they actually are all coming from. That chemical you suggested, it's safe to use around the grill?

Quote:
BTW... skeeters in *MARCH*?!? Jesus, remind me to never move to FL.
Yeah. The stupid things are basically here year round. We get a little reprieve the week in December where the temp drops into the 30s/40s, but it's not enough to kill off their population.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-10, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I had to look up denude, that's a new word for me. But the grill actually sits on a brick patio of sorts. I'll try and get down there this Friday and see where they actually are all coming from. That chemical you suggested, it's safe to use around the grill?
It's not a chemical, it's an active bacteria culture. They live in water. Toss in a dry brick of them, they activate, and then attack any larva. Won't work except in a pond or puddle. (Although I have heard of people seeding their lawns with them, I dunno how well it actually works.)

Quote:
Yeah. The stupid things are basically here year round. We get a little reprieve the week in December where the temp drops into the 30s/40s, but it's not enough to kill off their population.
Dear lord.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-03-10, 19:16

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Tell me about mosquitoes. Whatever they lack in season they make up for in numbers and tenacity here. I've read about the mosquito magnets and so far everything I've seen says that they *don't* work.

Foggers etc. are your likely best bet, although not sure I'd want to eat food off of a grill that had been fogged.

Really the only safe thing to do is remove their breeding grounds. Find standing/stagnent water on your property and remove it.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-10, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Tell me about mosquitoes. Whatever they lack in season they make up for in numbers and tenacity here. I've read about the mosquito magnets and so far everything I've seen says that they *don't* work.
The cheap ones, no. The big beasts, yes. Originally, they were designed for use on military bases in the tropics.

Quote:
Foggers etc. are your likely best bet, although not sure I'd want to eat food off of a grill that had been fogged.
In NC, there's a company that sells a yard 'sprinkler' system that apparently is quite effective - on a scheduled basis, it mists the yard with water laced with various oils, including cinnamon and citronella. Safe for food, smells nice.

Quote:
Really the only safe thing to do is remove their breeding grounds. Find standing/stagnent water on your property and remove it.
True dat.
¡Damned!

2008-03-10, 19:25

Like alc, we get mosquitos here that will carry your pets off if you're not watchful. I don't get bit that often (because my blood is roughly 50% garlic at any given time) but getting rid of them completely is near impossible. I suggest a combination of cluster bombs and flame throwers.

So it goes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-03-10, 19:30

Had a nasty encounter with mosquitoes this last summer while in eastern Washington, evil little things. Had to spray on Deep Woods Off, a kind of mild poison, to keep them away (and only a foot away at that).

We get them all year round here as well (other than when it snows, but even then...), and I hate them. Thankfully they don't come up to the top floor of our apartment very often.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-10, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Had a nasty encounter with mosquitoes this last summer while in eastern Washington, evil little things.
Where?? I grew up on that side of the mountains, and it's dry as a bone in most places. Black flies are a problem in the alpine areas in mid-summer, but we rarely saw mosquitoes.

Quote:
Had to spray on Deep Woods Off, a kind of mild poison, to keep them away (and only a foot away at that).
Feh. That's not strong enough. Go get some Jungle Juice from REI. 99% DEET.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-03-10, 19:44

Lake Chalen, we were on a hike just about half way up the lake near Stahekin. Your right its more north central Washington. There were a lot in Wenatchee too.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-03-10, 19:47

The skeeters we had in Alaska had fur on their wings, and got in the habit of flying sideways because of the strong winds.

Last edited by Windswept : 2008-03-10 at 20:08.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-10, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Lake Chalen, we were on a hike just about half way up the lake near Stahekin. Your right its more north central Washington. There were a lot in Wenatchee too.

??WTF??

Seriously??? Because, like, um, Wenatchee is where I grew up.

Wacky? Where you down by the river?

(Lake Chelan is wet enough to have skeeters though.)
veryamusing

2008-03-10, 21:58

jdcfsu: Imma testify a minute. They're the nastiest little fuckers, and they are *always* in our house because we leave the doors open for our three cats. It's just the best when they start doing fly-by's of your head as you're falling asleep.

Also, this post was no help. Sorry!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-03-10, 22:10

WORD!

Mosquitos - the real State Bird of Florida....
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-03-10, 22:23

Step 1: Douse Propane tank in Gasoline.
Step 2: Apply Match
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!!

Don't try this at home, kids. But I guarantee that your skeeter problem will be gone.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-03-10, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
WORD!

How true.
Dovek916

2008-03-10, 23:14

I went backpacking in Canada two summers ago and DAMN, the mosquitos there are larger and more deadly than the bears. We started to draw constellations on our selves, like human connect the dots. I here Alaska, this summer's trip, is supposed to be worse.
All those products like Off, or Cutter, and what not, don't really work how we would like to them to work. Not only are they cancerous, even at like 15% level, but they also don't repel, they just stop the likelihood of the mosquitos biting you once they are one your skin. This means that as long as you are cool with them landing on you, buzzing in your ear, and being annoying, then your in luck.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
Freewell

2008-03-11, 01:17

I would just like to calmly say at this point, that I HATE those godless bastards!!!! I firmly believe that all biting flies, fleas, ticks, cockroaches and mosquitoes are going to HELL!!!!

Yes, I also lived in the great state of the flying bird with the built-in drill-bit! I truly have a deep-set loathing of the flying buzzards. I used to teach in FL and my students were all amazed and under the solemn impression that I never missed when aiming to annihilate one... I would be teaching music, playing the piano as accompaniment for my students when out of nowhere I would be ambushed by one of the little tyrants. With not so much as a flinch, I would smack my hands together in the appropriate direction and inevitably come up with a glorious dead specimen, only to dump its worthless carcass on the floor and continue playing, all in one smooth motion! While contrary to my students' unwavering beliefs that I never missed, it did happen, but not very often. Ever.

I was reminded of how much I despise those god-forsaken plagues to the Earth a couple years ago when my family and I visited the great Sunshine State again... (Gotta love Orlando!!!) We were traveling peacefully down the interstate when all of a the sudden my husband thought we had come upon a spontaneous flash storm. In total disgust, I assured him it was not as he suspected. There wasn't a raindrop to be seen in miles... It was merely a lovely FL downpouring of mosquitoes!!! Yes, they felt it necessary to grace our vacation with their dastardly presence and completely engulf our vehicle for miles!!! It took us weeks to get their diabolical remains scraped off our beautiful new vehicle! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Have I mentioned how I really feel on this subject?!?!?

Oh... Suggestions for ridding yourself of the unwanted weasels?? Work on your aim!
sunrain
Veteran Member

2008-03-11, 01:46

Quote:
Go get some Jungle Juice from REI. 99% DEET.
Best stuff evar.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2008-03-11, 12:27

I only read the subject line, but...

1) Nuke them from the orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
2) Napalm.
3) Chuck Norris.

You're welcome.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-03-11, 15:05

Quote:

??WTF??

Seriously??? Because, like, um, Wenatchee is where I grew up.

Wacky? Where you down by the river?

(Lake Chelan is wet enough to have skeeters though.)
They weren't too bad in Wenatchee, even by the river, but you couldn't go for a walk in the evening without hearing them buzzing around. I was staying in West Wenatchee, near the local Safeway, in late July. My friend from college (who lives there) said they'd had more rain than other years, so that might have had something to do with it. Most of the buggers were near Lake Chelan though.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-03-11, 15:06

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-03-11, 15:11

Yeah that looks cool. I should get me one of those for when I go into the interior of BC in the summer.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-03-11, 15:42

Mosquitos are the most pointless, worthless creature on the face of the earth. Frogs don't need em to survive, fish don't need em, spiders don't need em. They are useless even to the food chain and in general, suck festering rhino balls (literally).

Also, the "get rid of standing water bit" only works if you're able to get rid of every fricking bit of standing water within 300 yards of your house. There isn't water anywhere on my property at any time of year because of the grading, and yet, because of a frickin marshy low-lying area about 100 yards from my backyard, it's all over baby. Or if you live anywhere near a pond or lake... within 1/2 mile... forget it.

Hell, I think mosquitos actually live *in* among the blades of grass in my yard by day (in summer) and then swarm at sunset, as soon as the dogs rustle around in the yard. It's frickin nuts. I am beginning to think mosquitos don't need anything more than morning dew on the grass to breed and live.

Just thinking about mosquitos gives me prickly-itch / makes me start scratching my neck (they love to bite my neck for some reason, little fuckers... and my feet... and behind my knees... and on my forearms... FUCK EM ALL!!!!). *cough*

Yah I hate mosquitos. They are reason #1 I do not wish to ever relocate to the deep south, or Minnesota.

...into the light of a dark black night.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-03-11, 16:13

I've actually released feeder guppies into ponds etc. near where I live in order to help control mosquito populations. You'd be surprised how rapidly those suckers can breed.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-03-11, 16:25

The guppies? Good for them. Kill, kill, kill I say... all mosquitos deserve torturous death.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-03-11, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Mosquitos are the most pointless, worthless creature on the face of the earth. Frogs don't need em to survive, fish don't need em, spiders don't need em. They are useless even to the food chain and in general, suck festering rhino balls (literally).
One issue, they are the #1 source of food for bats...
digitalprimate

2008-03-11, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvia View Post
I have a mosquito magnet. Probably the type kickaha mentioned. Cost for a 1.25 acre unit costs $1,200.00 It takes 2 weeks to clear out a area. A smaller model (Liberty) costa about $500.00. Mosquitos are territorial.
Another bit of info is that when they head out to feed, they fly against the wind. That way, when they are full they use the wind to help them return to their nesting site. Once you clear out a site, if there is no water or such for them the area will stay clear until a larger than normal wind blows more into your area.
So I looked it up because I never heard of it. Seems like a very cool invention.
Mosquito magnet - how it works.
Partial
Stallion

2008-03-11, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
WORD!

I have spent months in the summer in Florida and have barely noticed Mosquitoes. Perhaps thats because Gainesville isn't super swampy. Come up to Wisconsin in the summer and you'll be amazed. It's disgusting.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...