AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Power Problems on a PowerBook

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Power Problems on a PowerBook
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-07-11, 20:11

Couldn't help but be cute with the title, sorry! It is having power issues, and it is a 12" PB.

So my PB is dead again. I had to hold the cord at weird angles to get the computer to charge, and then it just gave up entirely and no matter how I held the cord, how much I wiggled the adapter around inside the port, hoping it was a temporary fluke, it refused to charge. Of course it pulled this stunt at 40%, so I barely had enough time to backup the most recent files before it kaputted.

THis may sound familiar to some of you, probably because it happened in January and last September. Both times it was the cord. Prior to those 2 adapters, I've also gone through a 3rd third-party one, and the original Apple one that came in 2004 burned out within a year. In short, it's been 4 cords in 4 years. Now I'm wondering if this is the cord yet again, or if it's the power port itself that's broken. I don't really want to buy a 5th adapter only to lose that one too in a few months, and I don't want to buy one if it isn't the adapter. Worse, I don't know anyone in my area with a PowerBook or iBook, so I can't do a quick adapter change and see if that fixes the issue.

Is it just that I have the world's worst luck with cords, or is it possible that something's wrong with my port and keeps killing adapters? There's been a wiggle when I plug in the adapter for over a year now. I don't know how to describe it in words, but when I plug it in, I can move the plug part around, kind of up and down and sideways, as if the port inside's shifting places a bit. I don't know if that's normal or if it's the sign of a problem.

If it is the port, then would it be worth it to replace it? I don't have the savvy or the courage to order one online and do it myself; my manual dexterity is atrocious, I'm not poking inside my laptop! Adding a PCI card to a desktop is bad enough. I don't know how much Apple would charge (it is 4 years old and way out of warranty), and the quotes I've seen online are about $250. I'm guessing Apple's prices would be the same? If so, would it really be worth it to get another year or so of life, or would giving in and getting a new Mac be better?

The nearest Apple store is over an hour away, and while I'd be willing to take it there (do you think they'd have an old PB/iB adapter to test it with?), I'm not sure if repairing it is worth the cost. I don't know if I can tell anything about it without taking it in.In short, I have no idea what to do with my poor laptop. Help?

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2008-07-11, 20:49

I can't know for sure without looking at your power adaptor itself, but I'd say it's the cord. My 12" PB's power cable plug is pretty deformed from being tripped on, so the inside of port is constantly being pushed around—it wiggles waaaay more than it should. In spite of all that, however, it somehow charges fine.

If I were you I'd just sell the PB for parts and buy a new laptop. It will probably cost a lot to replace if it is the plug (it might involve replacing the logic board?), you won't have to hunt down someone with a power adaptor, and any newish Mac will be a lot faster. Plus if you can find a student in the next two months, you can get a free iPod touch for your trouble!
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2008-07-11, 21:35

I have a 12" PB and have not had any issues with the power cord like that. Saying that you have been with four cords, that seems a little ridiculous! 0_o ... I think it has something to do with the computer...

If you can read this this, please send to an admin, i am blocked and cant post....
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2008-07-12, 12:26

See, BlueRabbit, I thought it was the cord too...but I've gone through 4. The first 2 times, maybe even the 3rd time, yeah. But I don't drop my cords, I don't trip on them- the worst I do is take them on a train 2x a month and a plane 2x a year. If it's plugged into the wall, never moved...I just can't see how I killed yet another cord in only 4 months.

Does anyone think the Apple Store will have a new cord to test with, or should I skip the Genius Bar and just go straight for the MacBook? Also, can I get my educational discount in-store if I show my student ID (and do they do the Touch promotion in-store or online-only?

twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2008-07-12, 12:53

Hmm, that's interesting… I'd try to see if the Apple Store has an extra power cord, then. There's a decent chance that they'll have one there, especially given that the 12" PB can use the power adaptor from older 15" and 17" PBs. If they don't have one, I'd just buy the MacBook.

Also, you can do the back-to-school discount and touch promo in store; all you need is your student ID and another form of ID, I think.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-07-12, 16:59

Any Apple store will have a power adaptor for a PowerBook. I once even talked the Regent Street Store staff into letting me charge my iBook for an hour.

The power adaptor and specifically the plug/socket is a weak spot on PowerBooks and iBooks. I've had a couple of iBooks and a PowerBook with the same power socket design, and they've all given signs of problems (flickering green or orange light, orange light that changes in colour as if the green light were flickering on and off while the orange one is lit, looseness, play, etc.). That said, I've never actually had one fail. I've had to reshape the plug with needle-nose pliers a bunch of times though, to keep it fitting snugly in the socket.

It might not be terribly expensive to fix if it is broken. I think the piece you'd need is a "DC-in board", which isn't that expensive. Here's one for the 12-inch PowerBook on eBay UK, going for £35. Fitting it might be tricky though.

The guy you need to talk to is danielsza, here on AppleNova. He knows his stuff when it comes to the internals of Apple notebooks.

Last edited by Dorian Gray : 2008-07-12 at 17:34. Reason: missing word added
danielsza

Send a message via AIM to danielsza Send a message via MSN to danielsza  
2008-07-12, 17:45

I doubt I'm the most knowledgeable person here when it comes to notebooks, but I will try and be helpful.

Dorian Gray is right, the DC-in board could very well be broken. You should be able to go to an apple store or even a apple repair centre should have one and they should let you use it.

The DC board is easy to change, it shouldn't take for then 45min.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2008-07-12, 18:07

How much do you think it'll cost? I'd rather have Apple repair it as opposed to buying one and trying it myself because I'm terrified I'd break it. Poking around inside a desktop is scary enough, but a laptop?

The news that an Apple store will at least have an adapter is good; I think I'll make an appointment, and whether I'll fix it or just upgrade will depend on the price they give me.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

danielsza

Send a message via AIM to danielsza Send a message via MSN to danielsza  
2008-07-12, 18:57

I'm not sure what it would cost. But if you get a used one of ebay or something for $30 or so and find someone to put it in for you, maybe a local repair shop, they should only charge one hour labour or less. So it might be a $100 or so. But this is a very easy part to change, you can look at ifixit for a step by step guide. ifixit sells the DC-in board for $80 w/ a warranty.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-07-12, 19:09

I think you are on the right track with the DC board replacement.

However - before spending any $$ on the part, I'd verify that as the primary cause first by testing a known-good power adaptor on your PowerBook (as well as testing your power adaptor on a known-good PowerBook or iBook, if possible).

Also - I've seen cases where adaptors that no longer make good contact can be "fixed" by using needlenose pliers to make the ring portion either expand or contract slightly in diameter.