User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad mini
Page 3 of 5 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2012-10-26, 21:32

I believe they just produced twice (or more) as many black ones than white. Given the global wet panties when the iPhone 5 came out and how the black was particularly fawned over, Apple probably took a 2:1 or even 3:1 bet that the black would be the best seller.

I ordered black, and the 4 other people in my immediate work circle (work circle this week, that is) ordered black, so as far as unofficial polling goes, black is the clear winner. Anna wants white, but only after she holds one in her hands (practical! ).
AbsolomL

2012-10-27, 05:28

Well, I don't own any tablet device now, but I'd like to buy a small tablet,personally,iPad is really an amazing product,to the new released ipad mini,I like,but the price - $329......hmm,I cannot afford it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-27, 20:49

I see where the black/slate 16GB iPad mini has now slipped to "delivers in two weeks" status at Apple's online store. So they're now getting snapped up too.

Retina (or A6) or not, this is gonna be huge. Bet the farm on this one, gang...12 months from now, you won't be able to swing a dead cat and not hit someone using an iPad mini.

If I didn't have this ongoing Illustrator gig, I swear I'd almost sell my iMac and just get a 64GB 4th-gen iPad. Because I'm at the point where that is the only thing I do on my iMac that I can't/don't do on my iPhone. And after being on iOS/Multi-Touch more and more, stepping back to a full-on computer (and all its overhead/overkill, even as nice and powerful as OS X is) just seems somehow "less than"...not as fun, nimble, friendly, logical, etc. It is to the point that I truly don't get on my iMac these days unless I'm doing something in Illustrator. I'd much rather be on the couch, porch or bed with my iPhone to surf, email, FaceTime, read, etc. And I do.

If someone ever made me choose between my iPhone and iMac, guess what? The iMac is on its way out the door!

If I didn't do that one thing for a semi-living, I'd give an honest shot to an iOS-only existence because I know I could do it...a get-online-anywhere iPhone 5, with me 24/7, and then all my music and photos (and creative/fun apps...GarageBand and iMovie and some drawing/painting apps) on the iPad.

I find myself thinking about it more and more these days...

I was thinking about it, and talking about this with a buddy, a few weeks back and it really hit me how much I don't do on my iMac at this point, vs. my iPhone. And it hit me that "if it wasn't for Adobe Illustrator, I'd never touch the thing...". That came as quite a stunner.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2012-10-28, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
And it hit me that "if it wasn't for Adobe Illustrator, I'd never touch the thing...". That came as quite a stunner.
I wonder if Adobe has plans for Illustrator for iPad. It seems like the perfect device for illustration (although most of the pen I've seen devices have chunky nibs). It's even more convenient than using a laptop and mouse.

The one negative for the iPad mini, is it's lower resolution. Of course, I've yet to see it in person, but if it's like my iPhone 3g, I'll be disappointed.
What do you think the chances of a retina iPad mini next year? Or is it too soon and still too pricey?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-28, 22:05

At the rate they're going, they might introduce a Retina iPad mini in January.

Seriously, they'll probably have another iPad mini update before the Mac Pro is ever touched (I know that just chews a hole in Moogs).

I'm sure it'll happen. Apple runs a year or so behind on their more affordable, "last year's" offerings (they keep the iPhone 4 and 4s around at more affordable prices, with the tech/capabilities to match.

So I can see the following within a year, based on previous/current patterns (for what good they do in real life):

1) A Retina/A6 (A7?)-equipped iPad mini released and possibly going for a higher price. Or maybe it stays right at $329?
2) When that happens, perhaps the non-Retina/A5 (today's mini, although maybe it gets outfitted with an A6, so as not to lag too far behind?) drops down to the lower-mid $200's?

So hard to tell anymore. Everytime we zig, Apple zags. We think we have them pegged on releases and updates and then they go and do things nobody expects (yank models, discontinue, raise prices, delay shipping/availability, update models that were just rolled out six months ago, cripple previously user-upgradeable models, release things with lower specs than expected, release other things with higher specs than ever dreamed, maintain two separate lines of pro notebooks because the new, "future-bound" stuff is still too pricey to serve as the sole option, sell one ultra-large display the typical Mac mini buyer could never afford, etc.).

I have a headache.

As for Adobe Illustrator on iPad, I'd be among the first to give it a shot. And, as I said earlier (here or elsewhere) it wouldn't have to be a direct one-for-one to Illustrator CS6 to meet my needs. So an "Illustrator for iPad" product could actually be quite modest and basic and still be something I'd be interested in (but not at $600, mind you). Maybe someday.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-10-28 at 22:16.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-10-28, 22:12

One thing we know for sure - Apple holds the line in prices. I don't expect prices on the mini to drop, though I wouldn't be surprised to see the "current" mini drop in price when a new one is introduced next year.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-28, 22:20

Yeah. A new model hits in 2013 (with Retina and an A6?) and the 2012 mini drops $79 or so to $249? Would still pull in some buyers, I think. Or would they keep a modestly-appointed iPad mini (no Retina and an A6) at the $329 mark and then add a Retina/A6x or A7 model at $399 with better camera and bigger this, better that, etc. (a true counterpart to the full-size current-generation model, just smaller in size).

Which is more likely, I wonder?

I guess either is a possibility...just depends on how pricing for this stuff shakes out, and which direction they want to plant a flag...up the hill, or down?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-10-29, 08:55

Quote:
Yeah. A new model hits in 2013 (with Retina and an A6?) and the 2012 mini drops $79 or so to $249? Would still pull in some buyers, I think. Or would they keep a modestly-appointed iPad mini (no Retina and an A6) at the $329 mark and then add a Retina/A6x or A7 model at $399 with better camera and bigger this, better that, etc. (a true counterpart to the full-size current-generation model, just smaller in size).

Which is more likely, I wonder?

I guess either is a possibility...just depends on how pricing for this stuff shakes out, and which direction they want to plant a flag...up the hill, or down?
Well, in most cases prices don't go up, either. Not in every case, obviously, but I think it's only happened when a new form factor is introduced. I think the at-the-time current mini stays at $329 and the older generation one drops to $249 or $199 depending on the market.

Wrao
Yarp

2012-10-29, 11:13

I'm probably going to get one(fully loaded, LTE, if I do) but it's hard to shake the feeling that the iPad Mini 2 will be *much* better on all fronts and will make this iPad Mini seem almost irrelevant by comparison. I guess it's the processor thing mostly, was really expecting something more modern, even if it wasn't full on A6X, some variation of that generation of design, and it's a little tough to accept a lower resolution screen when not only Apple but the rest of the industry is moving well into 300+ppi on all their devices(even bumping into 400+ppi) the price is also ever so slightly (and admittedly psychological) 'wrong' to me. But really, that's more a statement on how incredible technology and gadgetry has become, and how high expectations have risen. When realistically pitted against the actual primary usage people will likely find in an iPad Mini, it really doesn't come up short much at all(except for possibly as a gaming platform) and just because we might be a little more capable of seeing the future than we were pre-iPhone and pre-iPad, doesn't mean that what we have today is any less valuable.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-10-30, 22:12

The review embargo is up. I've read through 3 reviews and they are all extremely positive. Every single one. Even Tim Stevens' at Engadget, who is sort of a classy Apple-hater if ever there was one. Each review commented on price but just mostly in passing. Apple's definitely got a winner here.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-30, 22:21

Yeah, I was skimming some too. I don't think the $329 or lack of Retina Display is going to matter much in real life, with real people (non geeks). They just see "an iPad I can afford...and it's cute!"

Boom. Instant hit. Period.
¡Damned!

2012-10-30, 23:25

Hmm. I just read Gruber's review, and apparently the new mini covers have a "soft" magnetic latch? Like, non-scratching? Very cool. I'm still holding back until more reviews come out, but this is definitely nice to hear.

(Did Apple mention that in the Keynote? I missed it if so.)
Noel

2012-10-30, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Hmm. I just read Gruber's review, and apparently the new mini covers have a "soft" magnetic latch? Like, non-scratching? Very cool. I'm still holding back until more reviews come out, but this is definitely nice to hear.

It's true; I received my smart cover today.
¡Damned!

2012-10-31, 00:08

So what's the difference from the other ones? Is there a thin felt or something on the inside of the latches?

Pics!!!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-10-31, 07:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

The review from The Verge has great pictures, including several of the new smart cover. It's easy to see what they're talking about.

I'm very impressed by how overwhelmingly positive the reviews are. I so badly want to replace my first-gen iPad with one of these. I don't know how I'd pay for it yet, but now I have to find a way!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-10-31, 07:35

What's the likelihood that I'll be able to walk into an Apple Store tomorrow and pick one up? I thought I'd get the LTE version, but since I always have my phone and I could just tether it and save that money....

I just read Gruber's review, too. If people were just able to get over the hump of that not large in dollar terms but large in percentage terms, there'd be no stopping the mini.

edit: I just realized that today is Wed so the likelihood of my being able to pick up a mini tomorrow is vanishingly close to 0. I meant Friday.

Last edited by torifile : 2012-10-31 at 09:18.
Partial
Stallion

2012-10-31, 10:45

Reviews so far are all saying the same basic things:

1. Amazing
2. Preferred UX to larger iPad
3. Screen is of high quality, but you can't go back to non-retina

Get a retina display on this thing next year and we'll really have something here. They will sell hundreds of millions of these.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
¡Damned!

2012-11-02, 10:53

*waiting impatiently*
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-11-02, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I'm very impressed by how overwhelmingly positive the reviews are. I so badly want to replace my first-gen iPad with one of these. I don't know how I'd pay for it yet, but now I have to find a way!
Exactly my thoughts. (Christmas is coming I feel a present from me to me coming on!! )
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-11-02, 11:00

I swung by the Apple Store this morning on the way to the office. They had just cleared out the line so I got in and out in about 10 minutes. I picked up a 64 gig black wifi model.

Impressions:
- damn, it's small and light. Like really small and light. I've been using my wife's old 3rd gen kindle (keyboard model) and it feels like that. Slightly bigger and heavier but not much at all.
- it's so incredibly well made. It's high quality. I haven't used many competing tablets but I am sure it's got the highest build quality of the bunch. It is in no way less nice than my iPad 3.
- screen - disappointing. Coming from an iPad 3 and iPhone 5 (and rMBP), I'm spoiled. I can, and will, get used to it and the other features more than make up for it.

Price: I just got the top of the line wifi model for just over $500. It feels very inexpensive. I could have picked one up for $330. That seemed pricey a week ago, but after actually using one, it's not.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-11-02, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Price: I just got the top of the line wifi model for just over $500. It feels very inexpensive. I could have picked one up for $330. That seemed pricey a week ago, but after actually using one, it's not.
the way I think of it.... it wasn't too long ago we paid $330 for an iPod that only played music and maybe showed photos or video on a 2.5" square screen.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-11-02, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I swung by the Apple Store this morning on the way to the office. They had just cleared out the line so I got in and out in about 10 minutes. I picked up a 64 gig black wifi model.

Impressions:
- damn, it's small and light. Like really small and light. I've been using my wife's old 3rd gen kindle (keyboard model) and it feels like that. Slightly bigger and heavier but not much at all.
- it's so incredibly well made. It's high quality. I haven't used many competing tablets but I am sure it's got the highest build quality of the bunch. It is in no way less nice than my iPad 3.
- screen - disappointing. Coming from an iPad 3 and iPhone 5 (and rMBP), I'm spoiled. I can, and will, get used to it and the other features more than make up for it.

I hate you right now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-11-02, 14:17

I want to get one so bad right now but the fact that the display resolution and the specs, for the most part, are almost equivalent to my iPad 2, it's hard to justify the "upgrade" just for the size factor. I'll probably hold out and wait for the next update with a better processor and screen and then bite.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-11-02, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I want to get one so bad right now but the fact that the display resolution and the specs, for the most part, are almost equivalent to my iPad 2, it's hard to justify the "upgrade" just for the size factor. I'll probably hold out and wait for the next update with a better processor and screen and then bite.
"Because of the size factor"

You have to hold one to know what you're missing. Seriously. Imagine a device that feels like a kindle but is an iPad. It's amazing. You're used to the screen (this is sharper). Dude. It's only $330. Do it.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-11-02, 14:33

It's interesting to me how overwhelmingly positive the reaction to the size and form factor is when by all accounts Apple and Steve Jobs thought it was terrible and described it as practically being unusable. I know I know... they were talking about 7" not 7.85" or whatever.... statement still is true.

Apple did dozens of mockups and sizes for the first iPad and determined the 9.7" form factor was best, but it really seems like everyone who has tried the Mini has said they prefer the form factor and if it had a retina display they wouldn't think twice.

No one even seems to be talking about target sizes and difficulty in clicking things.... just weird that Apple in some ways may have been wrong about the form factor, but still was extremely successful.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-11-02, 15:22

It is very interesting indeed. But I'm convinced that people are going to love this size device. I haven't used any 7" tabs so I'm not a good judge of other devices. Would I pay another $100 for a retina display mini? I doubt it. Cost isn't the most important factor in the device but it can't be ignored either.

For me, though, the size wins the day. I had been tempted to buy a kindle because my iPad isn't conducive to book reading but I held off just because I thought this device could do it for me. It can and has. It's great.

zippy
Veteran Member

2012-11-02, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
It's interesting to me how overwhelmingly positive the reaction to the size and form factor is when by all accounts Apple and Steve Jobs thought it was terrible and described it as practically being unusable. I know I know... they were talking about 7" not 7.85" or whatever.... statement still is true.

Apple did dozens of mockups and sizes for the first iPad and determined the 9.7" form factor was best, but it really seems like everyone who has tried the Mini has said they prefer the form factor and if it had a retina display they wouldn't think twice.

No one even seems to be talking about target sizes and difficulty in clicking things.... just weird that Apple in some ways may have been wrong about the form factor, but still was extremely successful.
I wonder how much of that was really because of other limitations at the time. Maybe back then, they couldn't make a 7-8" device with as good of battery and other specs without making something so thick and heavy that it would be nothing like the iPad mini of today.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-11-02, 15:42

How's the speed/performance, torifile?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-11-02, 16:40

Quote:
How's the speed/performance, torifile?
Same as my (soon to be sold) iPad 3. Actually, my main app during the day, Noteshelf (a note taking program) is more responsive I suspect because of the lack of retina display.

¡Damned!

2012-11-02, 16:44

First post from the Mini!

I love it. It's absolutely what I've been waiting for. The screen isn't nearly as jarring as I expected it to be - I'll get used to the resolution easily. All in all, a nearly perfect device. When it gets a retina display it will be absolutely perfect.

I haven't been this giddy about a new thing in a very long time.

So it goes.