Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

'Wonderlust' September 2023 Apple Event

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
'Wonderlust' September 2023 Apple Event
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2023-08-30, 08:18

Tuesday 12 September, usual place, usual time.

New iPhones, yes, new Watches, probably, new iPads, maybe?

3nm tech-talk for sure but I wonder if they're saving the M3 big intro for another event that includes Macs.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-08-30, 08:20

Perhaps we can finally say goodbye to Lightning.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-08-30, 08:42

I'm up for a new phone this cycle. Mrs T too for that matter. I'm really interested in this one. She is also due for a new Watch, but I'm not as particular on that one right now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2023-08-30, 09:04

Same. It's been a few years so I figure I should hop on this round while my current phone still has a decent trade-in value. It'll be a nice jump in specs.

Hoping that the Pro models start off with 256GB storage instead of the current 128, especially if the rumors of a $100-200 price bump pan out.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-08-30, 09:12

Yes, I need the space and at this point better camera. I'm good for a USB-C upgrade too, but don't have a ton of those adapters right now so I'll have to get a few of those around the house. iPads in my house are the only things that are USB-C (mobile wise anyway).

I'm also going to be going from a 13 mini to the 15 Pro.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-08-30, 09:47

"Wonderlust"?

Quote:
I wonder if they're saving the M3 big intro for another event that includes Macs.
That sounds right. But we'll see A17, so a few weeks after, benchmarks should tell us what to expect from M3.

I'll be upgrading from a 13, so… Dynamic Island, probably?

I don't particularly care about USB-C. I don't have that many cables with it yet. It's obviously the right path forward.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-08-30, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post

I don't particularly care about USB-C. I don't have that many cables with it yet. It's obviously the right path forward.
The thing about USB-C I'll appreciate is that the contacts will likely be more stable. Over the years I've had many lightning cables that shorted across the terminals on the cable and it means flip the cord so it works. While USB-C might not fix that, I've not experienced it with that connection. I do have cables that only work one way though... cheap Amazon knockoffs.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-08-30, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I do have cables that only work one way though
Yup. We've had customers yell at us because some of the cables we bundled weren't properly usable both sides. Ugh.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-08-30, 11:33

Awesome. Maybe they'll go up another $100 on the iPhones, outright finally kill the SE (or any model less than $500), etc.

It wouldn't shock me, any of the above.

But I hope I'm wrong. I so often am.

To me, there's just so little difference/"big deal" in the flagship iPhones, year over year, unless you're a camera hound/"pro" type looking to lay out $1,299 or so on a new phone every 12 months (that ain't me; that ain't most of us). Always interested in what new colors they'll offer. Sometimes, on the flagship iPhones, they get downright ugly/goofy in recent years.

Would it kill them to do something in the orange/copper family? Would be nice. I'd love to see the rose gold come back, or some sort of metallic mint green with a bit of shimmer? I know they'll stick with staid, boring-ass hues for the "Pro" lineup. God forbid those people bought a pink or purple iPhone and cratered their reputations/good standing.
¡Damned!

2023-08-30, 12:11

I'd go for a blue this year if it's anything like the midnight color on the Macbook Airs. That's a beautiful color. If not I'll stick with dark gray, as I've done for every iPhone thus far. Gotta keep up that brooding aura if someone spots me.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-08-30, 13:24

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4xKFOUb...jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4xCOvta...jpg&name=large

If these are right, the lack of Apple logos in the middle two is odd. I'll be going with the one on the right. I'll consider the left if it looks better in person.

¡Damned!

2023-08-30, 13:55

I hope that's just terrible lighting because those are some fugly colors. Hoping they're more like the mockups here – I'd have a tough time deciding between the blue and the black.

So it goes.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-08-30, 14:08

I'll be going back to the white one after going purple and blue the last two years.

The white just looks so good and clean.

I mostly charge my iPhone with MagSafe charges at this point, but I will definitely appreciate being able to charge my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air all with the same USB-C cable and I'll gladly buy about 5 just to have them around the house.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-08-30, 14:28

The colors do look much nicer on your link, 709. I would still go with the black on that one. The blue isn't bad, but I don't envision me with it. Maybe it will grow on me if I can see it IRL.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-09-01, 09:06

Meh, once you put a case on you’ll never see the colour anyway. I’m one of those never go raw kind of guys though.

Must be time to order my iPhone 13, given it’s the last one with a SIM card, so I’m not beholden to the phone company and esim locks. Guess five years with the XS was a good run.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-09-01, 10:27

Totally agreed. I don't know why Apple fools with colors on these things, when most are never seen a day after purchase (they go in a case). Apple should throw themselves, big time, into the "nice, cool iPhone case" business, and just streamline the manufacturing of the iPhone itself on whatever color is easiest, cheapest to produce (silver or grey or whatever the uncolored aluminum/metal is that all gets hidden anyway).

I can't even imagine the production/logistical headaches of offering all these colors - and maintaining the QC/consistency of each one - has to be. All for nothing, big picture. I see iPhones in the wild constantly, including the three-lens "Pro" models, but I've never seen/known what color any of them have been. I see a colorful, stylish case on every one, but I've never seen Pacific Blue, Midnight, Starlight, Product Red, Yellow, Green, Pink or any other shade (in real life). Never. I don't know why they bother, or why customers even give a rip.

It's like dropping money on a stylish, colorful wardrobe, and getting all obsessive/nitpicky on blouse/skirt/pant colors and all...and then every time you leave the house, you put on a shoulder to floor trench coat or shawl, and nobody, including you, ever sees/appreciates all the carefully curated, thought-about colors you put together for your wardrobe.

I never see naked, un-cased flagship (non-SE) iPhones out in the world. They're too damn expensive to just carry around unprotected! I never even see them in clear, see-through cases (which would make much sense, if you agonized in the least over your iPhone 13/14 color). I used a case on my iPhone 4 and in the early years of my first-gen iPhone SE, and it was a clear, rubbery/plastic type that allowed the phone itself to show through/be seen (even though the iPhone 4 was black and my SE is white). But that's the only case I'd ever consider, clear.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-09-01, 10:43

I wish I could get excited for the iPhone events, but they've become too … same?

Seriously, I'm just not sure where the iPhone goes. USB-C seems likely, and camera improvements are always coming. Processor upgrades continue to make the iPhone more than necessary, but give Apple a great cash inflow for chip development. So I guess there's that. Still … meh.

Apple Watch seems desperately in need of blood sugar monitoring for diabetics (and I would buy that thing for my wife on day one, but it seems out of reach for now), but otherwise … meh.

This event has become too predictable and tiresome.

What happens in October is of more interest, as it seems the iMac is gonna make a big splash. Otherwise … meh.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-09-01, 12:23

I can't argue with the event being pretty much the same. I'm not likely to swoon over some specs being thrown out, but it is time for me to get a new phone based on my desires an uses.

I thought about a Watch, but I'm likely to hold out longer on that one.

For the color/case discussion; I used to always keep my phone in a clear case. It let me see the phone color with minimal protection from basic slips and screen damage. My 13 mini hasn't been in a case ever and I scratched the screen within weeks of having it. Not major, but enough that during my normal use throughout the day I feel it scrolling with my thumb.

I will likely put a clear case on my new phone this time. It also adds a bit for grip of the phone that I do miss since going without a case. I know many people who never put their phone in a case so the color does matter to some degree, even if only some. Why someone would by a phone mid-cycle because "special yellow" was released or whatever I have no idea though.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-09-01, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I wish I could get excited for the iPhone events, but they've become too … same?
Indeed. I believe I could write the outline/script of the event today and be 95% accurate re: the presenters, the things the say, how they say them, Tim’s tired-ass platitudes and boilerplate statements, the hyperbole and the general “un-Steve” vibe of the proceedings. PS - Soneone from Apple is going to eventually come on stage, all sweaty and psycho-eyed and leading a “developers, Developers, DEVELOPERS!!!” cheering session, guaranteed. Perhaps that’s more geared toward WWDC than a standalone autumn/iPhone event, but you get what I’m saying.

They seem to be more that company anymore than the one they once were.

When the scrappy underdogs become the mainstream “regular guys” things feel a bit different. These events are boring and pedestrian as hell, barely even watch because I choke on the corniness and lazy auto-pilot structure. Tim’s distracting Jimmy leg and weird-ass voice/enunciation…he’s becoming Al Gore, that lisping drawl. Absolute fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-09-01 at 13:55.
chucker

2023-09-02, 08:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I never see naked, un-cased flagship (non-SE) iPhones out in the world.
Huh.

So, I think I had a "dock" of sorts on my iPhone 3G; it was this inch-deep thing that attached to the dock connector and basically extended the iPhone's battery life. Not really a case. Nothing on the 4S, as I recall. On the 5S, I eventually relented and got a proper case, but again: it was for extending the battery life. It wrapped the entire thing, so it was quite unwieldy. But it did the trick. (Both the 3G the 5S got a bit long in the tooth in my case, hence the need.)

Nothing on the 6S, 8, or 11. My 13 had no case for almost a year; then I went to a trip where I was wearing short, somewhat slippery pants, and had my phone in them while sitting. Bad idea. It fell out, onto a stone floor. Twice. It was fine, but the dents made it look a little silly on the edges. So I reluctantly got my first 'proper' case for my iPhone last year.

I guess I'll get one for the 15, too. Mostly because iPhones at this point are unwieldy and slippery enough that I don't always trust myself to avoid them falling on the floor.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-09-02, 11:33

Curious to see what they do with the iPhone cameras, and if they can expand the satellite SOS feature.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-09-03, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Perhaps we can finally say goodbye to Lightning.
I wonder if they kept the coffin from the OS 9 funeral.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2023-09-12, 11:58

I have a work meeting at 2pm, but I've logged back in just to do my AN product threads!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2023-09-12, 13:23

Threads are complete! Hope everyone enjoys.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-09-12, 13:47

Thanks Capella!

Can I go back to sleep now? As I said earlier, I expected this to be the least exciting Apple event in ages, and it did not disappoint. I think I fell asleep twice.

Remember when the Mac went stagnant for years, and we all complained that Apple had "forgotten about pro's!"?

I think the iPhone has peaked, and the events are getting increasingly boring. Apple Watch at least still has room for a few innovations (blood sugar?), but the iPhone seems to have been painted into the "faster-better-cameras" corner. What else is there?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-09-12, 13:58

Satellites and emergency responses
chucker

2023-09-12, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Remember when the Mac went stagnant for years, and we all complained that Apple had "forgotten about pro's!"?

I think the iPhone has peaked, and the events are getting increasingly boring.
I would say the Mac line-up was simply bad at the time.

I can’t say that’s currently so for iPhones or Watches. Are the iterative changes boring? Yeah, and I worry that the event at this point is far more motivated by “gotta keep boosting the revenues” than “we have a story to tell”. But would I recommend either product line for “I want to buy a phone or smartwatch”? Yeah, absolutely. They’re pricey but solid, like many an Apple product since the 1990s.

I would’ve been far more hesitant to recommend a 2016 MBP.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-09-12, 14:56

As I've said before, the best thing about Apple September iPhone release event is that it clears the way for Apple's October Mac release event.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-09-12, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
As I've said before, the best thing about Apple September iPhone release event is that it clears the way for Apple's October Mac release event.
Which sometimes happens.

I can't find a way for Apple to escape this year. There has to be a new iMac.

Rumors are now floating for a new iPad Air, although I can't imagine what that thing needs, although I'm certain it will get the M2 for reasons only the reasons understand.

chucker

2023-09-12, 17:37

Now, if Apple could clean up that line-up and not have fifty different ten-inch models, that might be exciting. But if all they do is an M2 iPad Air nobody asked for?

iMac is long in the tooth, to the point where I wonder if Apple feels compelled to reboot it again. The 2021 one was bold, but I’m starting to think it was a swing and a miss. Very nice-looking product for… not many people.

M3 is due. ~15 months now. I still don’t see them releasing Vision Pro with an M2; if they do, something weird happened on the hardware side.