User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Anyone here read Bill Bryson travel books?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone here read Bill Bryson travel books?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-16, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
GOOD GOD! It's Carol... she's back in action!

Good to see you. I read one of Bryson's books several years ago called A Walk the Woods. Nearly wet myself at times while reading it. He's a great writer.

Part of why I like him is that I grew up in Georgia and at that time there wasn't nearly the sprawl there is now and so I could relate very well to many passages; I often hiked "through the woods and over the creeks" myself. Plus the whole southern humor thing where he points out all the classic symptoms of being a hill-billy, etc. Great stuff.
Hey, Moogs! Good to hear from you, too.

Yeah, I just read the Woods book. I couldn't understand how Katz could go from a state of being 'corpulent' and getting "no exercise at all" to hiking 10, 12, 14 miles per day...like 'overnight.' Isn't that just asking for an injury of some kind? I thought the blizzard parts were kinda scary.

When I was in college, my parents lived in Tennessee for a few years. (Quite a culture shock for our family.) When I came home for the summer, I went on a canoe trip down a river that was unspoiled, that was over-hung with trees. It was so peaceful and lovely...like right out of Deliverance, but without the bad parts. (heh...no dueling banjos, etc. ) I also went spelunking in a fairly deep cave, in parts of which we had to crawl on our stomachs through mud, through narrow, claustrophobia-inducing tight spots. Yikes. Lots daddy-long-legs-type cave spiders on the walls. The South can be a pretty fascinating place, it seems.

I think it's a shame how our whole country has become homogenized - all the same fast food places, retail chains, etc., everywhere. Only in small towns, I imagine, can one still find the America of the past.

So, if you were raised in Georgia, I guess you had quite an accent at the time, right? Any traces left? I think regional accents are kind of fun. I lived in Texas for awhile when I was 16, and the accents were just amazing.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-16, 23:52

Surprisingly no. I never developed a native southern accent. Since my parents and siblings (and neighbors to one side) all had midwestern / eastern accents, that is more or less what I picked up. I did get a bit of a drawl when saying certain words or phrases, and I still sort of unconsciously start speaking that way when I go down south and have been there for a week or two.

But generally no. I can however, do all manner of impressions. Clinton, Brooklyn, Indian / Pakistani, etc etc. Does that count?

...into the light of a dark black night.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-17, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Surprisingly no. I never developed a native southern accent. Since my parents and siblings (and neighbors to one side) all had midwestern / eastern accents, that is more or less what I picked up. I did get a bit of a drawl when saying certain words or phrases, and I still sort of unconsciously start speaking that way when I go down south and have been there for a week or two.

But generally no. I can however, do all manner of impressions. Clinton, Brooklyn, Indian / Pakistani, etc etc. Does that count?
Heh. I would love to hear you do an Indian/Pakistani accent. Jamaican would be cool, too. How about an English accent? I would love to be able to do one of those.

Last year I had a kid from London in my 6th hour class. At first, when he spoke, I thought he had a speech impediment of some kind. haha. What a dummy I was. How could I have thought that?! It's just that a British accent was the last thing I ever expected to encounter in one of my classes. What a great kid he turned out to be. I would joke around in class and try to imitate his accent (using a sentence that included the way he said the words "telemarketers" and "water"). Eventually I asked if he would make a tape for me of selected phrases/sentences so I could listen to it and practice my English accent. He said he would, be we never got around to it. What fun that would have been.

I remember a girl who sat in front of me in a high school algebra class in Texas. She said her name was "Kaa-i Whah-t." I was amazed to discover later (when I graded one of her papers, I guess) that what she had said was actually "Kay White."

Some questions:

In the midwest, do they pronounce 'wash' like 'wush'?

Do they pronounce 'greasy' as 'greezzy'?

In Ohio, do some people say 'clothes press' for the word 'closet'?

Do YOU pronounce the word 'because' like 'becauze' or like 'bea-COS'? Just lately I've been hearing people on National Public Radio saying 'bea-COS'. Somehow, I find that pronunciation highly distracting and generally lose track of the point they are trying to make.

Also, do you say "all of A sudden" or "all of THE sudden"? I say the former, and generally cringe when I encounter someone saying "all of THE sudden". Don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. (I've had zillions of students use "all of the sudden"... so I guess I'm hyper-sensitized to the phrase.)

Hey, how are your dogs doing, btw? Not puppies anymore, I guess? God, I LOVE puppies. They are such sweetie-pies.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-17, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
That's Michael Wood, one of the greats in my book. In addition to the train-themed work, he recently wrote a book and filmed a series on Alexander the Great ("In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great"). I was introduced to his work back in the 80s when PBS broadcast a series on the Trojan War ("In Search of the Trojan War" was the title of both the television series and his eponymous book). The television broadcast was recently re-released on DVD in tandem with the theatrical release of the mediocre motion picture "Troy".
Hi, LudwigVan. You know, I love train stuff. Train travel just seems wonderful to me...the kind of travel where you have a first class cabin/room/stateroom/whatever they're called, and where fine dining takes place with linen tablecloths, a single red rose, and nice large, clean windows that exhibit the scenery going by - verdant mountains, blue oceans, whatever.

I suppose such travel exists somewhere, besides in movies. What do you think? It just seems so incredibly civilized and leisurely...a romantic feature of the past, I guess...a la Orient Express.

I actually did take a fairly long train journey once, from southern Chile to Santiago. The interior of the train was entirely mahogany, I think, and was beautiful, if you love fine wood the way I do. But it wasn't an overnight journey, so I don't know if cabins were available. I was traveling in the company of some wealthy Brazilians. When there was samba music, they would jump up to sing and dance in the aisle. Brazilians really know how to enjoy life. Had a great time with them.

I am a huge Alexander the Great fan (for about the last ten years), and yes, I did see most of Woods' program 'in the footsteps'. Not the whole thing, though, unfortunately. So I'll either have to buy it or check it out from the library (and then buy it...heh...the book, too, of course). I still have trouble believing that Alexander was a real person. He seems a figure of myth to me. I actually used to have a crush on him (haha!), but I think I have gotten over that by now (maybe... ).
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-18, 00:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol
Heh. I would love to hear you do an Indian/Pakistani accent. Jamaican would be cool, too. How about an English accent? I would love to be able to do one of those.
Oh sure... English, Australian. I try to do Irish as well but the other two get mixed in because my ear doesn't pick it up right.

Quote:
I remember a girl who sat in front of me in a high school algebra class in Texas. She said her name was "Kaa-i Whah-t." I was amazed to discover later (when I graded one of her papers, I guess) that what she had said was actually "Kay White."

Yep. There seem to be two types of Texas accent. The subtle drawl and hick central. I mean to tell you people from Texas with thick accents stand apart even from other peopel in the deep south with heavy accents. I don't know what it is, but it's pretty easy for me to pick up on a heavy Texas accent.

[quote]Some questions:

In the midwest, do they pronounce 'wash' like 'wush'?

Quote:
Do they pronounce 'greasy' as 'greezzy'?

In Ohio, do some people say 'clothes press' for the word 'closet'?

Do YOU pronounce the word 'because' like 'becauze' or like 'bea-COS'? Just lately I've been hearing people on National Public Radio saying 'bea-COS'. Somehow, I find that pronunciation highly distracting and generally lose track of the point they are trying to make.

Also, do you say "all of A sudden" or "all of THE sudden"? I say the former, and generally cringe when I encounter someone saying "all of THE sudden". Don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. (I've had zillions of students use "all of the sudden"... so I guess I'm hyper-sensitized to the phrase.)
Let me see if I can hit those in order:

1. Not in northern Illinois, Iowa or southern Wisconsin. Not that I've noticed in 20-some years anyway. Although in some parts of Chicago in particular, people pronounce a's with a more nasal tone sometimes. Cab becomes "cayab", "after" becomes "ayafter". Watch the Blues Brothers. Akroyd does it to a T.

2. Some Chicagoins also do this, but I don't think it's a midwestern thing. You guys becomes "youz guyz" (that's older and not common anymore but it was at one time), buys becomes "buyz", etc.

Other Chicago specialties you may have heard of: there becomes "dare", them becomes "demm", those becomes "dose"; Ford becomes "fore-dd", etc.

3. No idea what the loons in Ohio talk like. But they get "bore-dd" a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

4. Me personally? Be-cuz. Oh another Chicago goodie "emBAHRassing".

5. "A sudden", not "the sudden".

In general there are several distinctive midwestern dialects. The Chicago dialect is one, everything from central Wisconsin to nothern Minnesota is another, Indiana and southern Illinois another, Iowa yet another. I would say the most plain spoken of the bunch (and probably most phonetically correct) would be people from northwestern Illinois and Eastern Iowa. The rest of us have hang-ups whether we can admit it or not.

Quote:
Hey, how are your dogs doing, btw? Not puppies anymore, I guess? God, I LOVE puppies. They are such sweetie-pies.
They are a handful let me tell you. 7 months old so definitely still puppies and will be for a while yet. They're in what the trainer lady calls "dog adolescence", where they constantly test you, seemingly forgetting everything you ever taught them. But luckily they all snap out of it if you're persistent in your commands, etc.

I'll try and post a picture this weekend if I have time.

rogera

2005-12-10, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
I've seen a smattering of Palin's television episodes. Ones about: Russia (Pole to Pole ?), about ritual drumming (in Japan? Around the World in 80 Days ?), about going through the Middle East, parts about Africa, Capetown, and Antarctica, I think.

I could be confusing Palin's programs with those of another British guy who did a travel series, but I think his involved primarily rail journeys. Hmmm. Then there was a program about taking the last train across Canada from coast to coast. Can't remember who the host was for that one.

Bryson also wrote a book along the lines of "a little something about everything." I actually have two copies of that one. It's a pretty hefty volume. Have only read like one page, because I could tell immediately that the book would require more time than I had available.

The African diary thing sounds interesting. Let me know how you like it, okay?

Yeah, wanderlust, no kidding. I want to travel without having to rush. I'd like to live in places for awhile. I'd like to live on the south coast of England for a few months, because I'm such a major Anglophile. Maybe actually living there would cure me. I wonder. In the past I seem to have had a fantasy view of England, but recent articles I've read about the crime and over-crowding have taken a bit of the edge off my starry-eyed worship. I wonder what it's really like over there. I think the draw of the historical aspects would fascinate me endlessly. I have actually been in England, but only for four days on a whirlwind, month-long Europe trip right after college. It seemed like every time I asked someone a question, they either didn't speak English well enough for me to understand their answer, or in one case, their northern accent was so strong I couldn't understand a word they said.
Hi Carol,

Just joined this thread so please forgive me if I am a little late.

The writer who wrote "Great Train Journeys of the World" was the American writer, Paul Thoreau. I can thoroughly recommend this book as it makes for great reading.

With regard to Michael Pailin, his travelogues were part of a BBC TV series and, while in the written word, were not great pieces of literature, they were stunning programmes and well worth watching. Did you see his movie "A Fish Called Wanda"? A brilliant movie and very, very funny.

Bill Bryson's work is also extremely hilarious. In his "Notes from a Small Island" he captures the quintessentialness, (can I use that word?) of British humour as he also does for Australian humour in his book "Down Under". As a Brit who has lived in England and Australia each for over 20 years I feel that I am somewhat qualified to make this assertion.

Anyway, I am working my way through this thread and may post again if I have something positive to contribute.

Cheers

Roger
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-12-10, 09:32

You dusted off an "oldie but a goodie". In my Amazon shopping cart (still!): A Short History of Nearly Everything. Guess I was too busy buying and reading nerd books this year.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-12-10, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogera
Hi Carol,

Just joined this thread so please forgive me if I am a little late.

The writer who wrote "Great Train Journeys of the World" was the American writer, Paul Thoreau. I can thoroughly recommend this book as it makes for great reading.

With regard to Michael Pailin, his travelogues were part of a BBC TV series and, while in the written word, were not great pieces of literature, they were stunning programmes and well worth watching. Did you see his movie "A Fish Called Wanda"? A brilliant movie and very, very funny.

Bill Bryson's work is also extremely hilarious. In his "Notes from a Small Island" he captures the quintessentialness, (can I use that word?) of British humour as he also does for Australian humour in his book "Down Under". As a Brit who has lived in England and Australia each for over 20 years I feel that I am somewhat qualified to make this assertion.

Anyway, I am working my way through this thread and may post again if I have something positive to contribute.

Cheers

Roger
Hi, Roger. Welcome to AppleNova.

I was surprised to see this thread today, and also glad; because, as it happens, I have been listening to the audio-tape version of Michael Palin's Full Circle for the last week or so. When I am working in the kitchen, I decided that I was sick of listening to radio news (because the news these days is always such a 'downer'), and sick of the vitriolic partisan radio talk shows that come on after National Public Radio switches to music at 7pm. So I have started checking out books-on-tape from the public library.

I think there are at least ten tapes for this Palin book, so besides listening to one in the kitchen, I have another going in the car. The story sequence gets a bit disjointed; but like I said, anything is better than hearing about the constant bickering going on in American politics (ugh).

Actually, I haven't seen "A Fish Called Wanda", but I almost checked it out from the library last week. Thanks for mentioning the trail journeys book. I'll definitely have to read that one.

Again, it's always great to have another Brit join us here at AN.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-12-10, 20:11

Well, if you look at the username, I think you can tell where I stand on this issue.

It's a bit roundabout, really. I use "Bryson" because my cat used to walk all over my keyboard, to the point where he contributed more than me, so used his name as my username (Bryson). In turn, Bryson the Cat was named after Bill Bryson.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-12-11, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
Well, if you look at the username, I think you can tell where I stand on this issue.

It's a bit roundabout, really. I use "Bryson" because my cat used to walk all over my keyboard, to the point where he contributed more than me, so used his name as my username (Bryson). In turn, Bryson the Cat was named after Bill Bryson.
Hi Bryson.

Since you've been on the board, I've had to fight down the urge to think of you as 'Bill'. Now I realize that all this time I was actually thinking of your cat. heh.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-12-11, 17:16

Okay, while this thread is around, and while a Brit or two might be reading it , I thought I'd ask a question that's been nagging at me for a while.

On PBS, there's a British program called "Global Trekker" - or something like that, where this Brit goes travelling around experiencing cool places throughout the world.

Well, here's the thing that I can't help wondering about. I mean, it has not escaped my attention that British guys are some of the best looking in the entire world - second only to the Canadians ( ).

So WHY do they pick the guy on that tv show to be the host? He's 'nice' enough, I guess; but omg, NOT very cute. Why not pick one of those gorgeous, delicious British *hunks* instead? A real feast for the eyes. I mean, television is a visual medium, for godssake.

Anyway... just askin'.

Last edited by Windswept : 2005-12-11 at 18:06.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-12-11, 17:33

Well, I was busy....

Seriously though, I think you might just be being deceived by the accent. Not that there's anything wrong with that (my Girlfriend is Canadian and freely admits that the accent is a Big Deal.)
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-12-11, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
Well, I was busy....
What, no smiley??? I guess that means that you really *are* a gorgeous and delicious British hunk.

Quote:
Seriously though, I think you might just be being deceived by the accent. Not that there's anything wrong with that (my Girlfriend is Canadian and freely admits that the accent is a Big Deal.)
Well, I suppose I could live with 'his' particular accent, though I'm not too crazy about it.

I just think if a network is going to fund and produce a tv show that deals with the visual delights of our world, that the host should be as easy on the eyes as any of the travel scenery featured.

Oh well, just a minor quibble.