User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Steve Jobs calls parents who's son was murdered for his iPod.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Steve Jobs calls parents who's son was murdered for his iPod.
Quagmire
meh

2005-07-06, 00:17

Steve Jobs called the parents of the boy who was killed for his iPod. I must say this was a very nice thing of Jobs to do. I couldn't think of another person who would do this.

http://news.com.com/Steve+Jobs+calls...tml?tag=cd.top

giggity
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-07-06, 00:31

Considering his remarks in the recent Stanford address he made, I'm not surprised that he'd do that. Seems as though he's really gotten some perspective since his cancer scare.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-07-06, 05:05

This was a nice touch from his Steveness. I agree with sunrain too - that cancer scare may have just mellowed him a tad ... well, at least when dealing with non-employees.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-07-06, 11:05

When I saw the thread title, I thought this was some sick joke, but that article gave me a new perspective on Steve Jobs. I always thought he was a pragmatist: abrupt, overbearing, unemotional. Perhaps he has a human side too. This could be good for Apple.

You ask me for a hamburger.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-06, 12:39

It is indeed a thoughtful gesture. And I'm sure Jobs meant every word he said.

If this world made any sense at all, it wouldn't be a story because the kid would've never gotten killed to begin with...over a fucking iPod and the like?

Honestly, what is wrong with people? I simply can't make that leap/connection from "gee, I want that" to "guess I gotta kill someone to get it".

There was more outrage and uproar over the damn iPod battery "scandal" for God's sake! Remember? But a child gets killed for the stupidest of reasons, and you can hear a pin drop.

That this stuff happens and there isn't a palpable, stirring sense of outrage and a rising up of people to say "NO!" only tells me that we're lost. Merely coasting, at this point aren't we?

Phone call from Steve Jobs or not, we're truly doomed.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-06, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Perhaps he has a human side too. This could be good for Apple.
Well what do you want to do...make a commercial or street poster for it?

Doesn't really strike me as a "good for Apple" kind of situation. If anyone's trying to spin something like this to "win-win PR" positioning, that's kinda weird and gross.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-07-06, 12:53

Heh, Scates, you have to learn that I always see the socioeconomic side of things. This .com article certainly changed my perspective of Jobs...

Don't get me wrong, though, I hope the bastard who killed this kid for his iPod gets locked away for a long time. What a needless and stupid reason to pull out a knife.

You ask me for a hamburger.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2005-07-06, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Well what do you want to do...make a commercial or street poster for it?

Doesn't really strike me as a "good for Apple" kind of situation. If anyone's trying to spin something like this to "win-win PR" positioning, that's kinda weird and gross.
psactes, I think he meant the human side of Jobs, not the kid-getting-killed-over-an-iPod part. A human Jobs might be good for Apple.
Dave J

2005-07-06, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Phone call from Steve Jobs or not, we're truly doomed.
Very well said scates - I agree wholeheartedly.
Wraven

2005-07-06, 13:54

The sky is falling...

In all seriousness, there are always stories of some idiot(s) killing someone else over iPods, sneakers, etc...

On a more positive note (and more to the point of this thread), it was very cool of Steve to call this kid's parents. These days, many corporate leaders would have retreated to their lawyers. Then again, Steve is hardly the typical corporate leader.

Cheers,
Wraven

Last edited by Wraven : 2005-07-06 at 14:42.
Amadeus

2005-07-06, 19:15

I think that it was a very magnanimous gesture. Steve did the correct think, it came from the heart.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-07-06, 20:30

Agreed. Just earned a little more of my respect, that's for sure.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-08, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
I think that it was a very magnanimous gesture. Steve did the correct think, it came from the heart.
Yeah agreed. But risky - that could have gone very badly wrong and the press would have loved it.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-07-08, 19:01

True. I might've reacted differently if I got a phone call from the CEO of the company that makes an object my son was murdered for.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-07-08, 19:18

Jobs is potentially damned if he calls and damned if he doesn't call.

Just depends on the outlook of the viewer.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-07-08, 19:21

But according to above article, the call went very well. So it all worked out... except for that kid's family...
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-07-08, 22:23

I had seen headlines about this, but never bothered reading the stories -- because I thought it would have been some choreographed PR ploy (which I despise) complete with pictures of Jobs on the phone, as if to say, "See, he really does care."

But, since the father came forward with the story himself, and Apple reps wouldn't comment, it looks like Jobs really did choose to make the phone call on his own. He must have known that the story would get out anyway, but at least he didn't make a press event of the actual call.

Cool, not bad. Still a little odd, but not bad.