AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Connect360 problems

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Connect360 problems
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-01-15, 01:35

I just got an Xbox 360. After hours of messing around with it, I finally got the IP address settings right. For some reason, it didn't want to get an automatically assigned IP address via DHCP. I had to do it manually. I'm connected via ethernet cable to my iMac, which is sharing my internet connection from Airport. This isn't a problem. I can get online without issue.

My problem is with this stupid ass program. Everyone was singing its praises and it worked great until tonight for some reason. I didn't change a single setting but it decided it no longer wants to work. I've tried restarting my Xbox, disconnecting and reconnecting my cable, restarting my iMac, checking and rechecking my settings but nothing works. I'm at a loss. I'm staring at my console.log to see if anything comes up when I try to connect but there's nothing there. I just get the "can't find any computers running media sharing software" error when I try to connect. Every few minutes, in my log, I'll get this:

Code:
2007-01-15 01:30:37.234 Connect360Helper[3947] SSDPServer: Joining multicast on interface(s): ("192.168.2.1", "192.168.0.16", "10.37.129.2", "169.254.2.2") 2007-01-15 01:30:37.234 Connect360Helper[3947] NRSSDPServer: Sending ssdp:discover request to: 239.255.255.250 for ClientType: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaRenderer:1 2007-01-15 01:30:37.234 Connect360Helper[3947] NRSSDPServer: Sending ssdp:alive broadcast to: 239.255.255.250 for ServiceType: uuid:6dba9c50-3438-a946-1490-39dea7805a65 2007-01-15 01:30:37.234 Connect360Helper[3947] NRSSDPServer: Sending ssdp:alive broadcast to: 239.255.255.250 for ServiceType: urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1
My IP address settings are as follows:
IP address: 192.168.2.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.2.1 (the IP address of my en0 connection)
DNS Server: 192.168.2.1 (I've tried 192.168.0.1 for my router that my iMac gets IT'S connection from).

Oddly enough, when I go to my sharing pref pane and go to the firewall tab, I've gotten errors that say that I've got another firewall active, etc. But I don't. I wonder if this has something to do with my problems. Any ideas? I hate this program...

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-01-15, 01:39

Do you have any other computers you can try connect 360 on?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-01-15, 01:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie View Post
Do you have any other computers you can try connect 360 on?
I've got my Macbook. I'll try that.

A new tidbit: in my log there's now this error: Firewall Tool: Apple Firewall is off, but there are 3 rules in IP Firewall!

WTH?!? I tried flushing all my firewall rules and I still got the message about another firewall being in place...

edit: nope. No go. No strange firewall issues, nothing. It just doesn't work. And their website is pathetic for finding any real answers. I wish I hadn't spent that $20. I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bought the 360 at all.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-01-15, 02:07

Connect360 is an ok program I suppose. I would never pay for it myself because it doesnt do video. I can listen to music anytime and I have no need to loo at pictures.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-01-15, 02:09

torifle, if you ever get it to work can you post a tutorial here..
Or perhaps you can Yontsey.

I have a PBG4 as our houses base station, and everything shares off that wirelessly.. My 360 is running off the back of my Wife's Mac over ethernet.

XBox Live and so on all work fine. Never had an issue, but Connect360 just doesn't even see my 360 from any machine!

EDIT - The only time I have ever seen that other firewall message on my Mac has been twice. Once was when I did foolishly for a microsecond have Norton on my machine, and had that firewall on, even though I had selected it to be off. Fucking Norton!
The other was whenever I had VPC running. I have not noticed it with Parallels, but do you have Parallels, and is it running?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-01-15, 02:19

I have parallels but it wasn't running. In fact, I had just rebooted. I don't know what caused it.

What's so frustrating is that I *had* it working. I had just re-encoded a bunch of avis to wmvs so I could watch them and it didn't refresh the library. So I restarted the sharing and that was the end of it.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-01-15, 02:20

Yeah, Ill have to see how I have mine set up. I havent used it in forever, because like I said, I dont have a use for it.

Tomorrow when I get a free chance, Ill see what I can dig up. Bare with me though, cuz tomorrow I have a busy day with work, a job interview, and band practice for a big show saturday.

Edit: Interesting, I just went over to their site and apparently they are starting to work in video streaming into C360. Currently though, it's only WMA+WVA. Once it gets to .avi, I MAY pay the $20.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-01-15, 02:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I have parallels but it wasn't running. In fact, I had just rebooted. I don't know what caused it.

What's so frustrating is that I *had* it working. I had just re-encoded a bunch of avis to wmvs so I could watch them and it didn't refresh the library. So I restarted the sharing and that was the end of it.
Connect 360 doesn't do videos. You can only do videos in Media Center.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-01-15, 02:24

Quote:
Connect 360 doesn't do videos. You can only do videos in Media Center.
No, it does do videos. They just need to be in wmv format. I tried it out earlier. Before I did a batch of them. It was actually pretty nice. When it worked...

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-01-15, 02:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Yeah, Ill have to see how I have mine set up. I havent used it in forever, because like I said, I dont have a use for it.

Tomorrow when I get a free chance, Ill see what I can dig up. Bare with me though, cuz tomorrow I have a busy day with work, a job interview, and band practice for a big show saturday.

Edit: Interesting, I just went over to their site and apparently they are starting to work in video streaming into C360. Currently though, it's only WMA+WVA. Once it gets to .avi, I MAY pay the $20.
Yeah, it only does wmv right now. But I figured that with the VLC and batch script I found, I could transcode the few seasons worth of show's I've got and by the time I needed to do more, there'd be a better solution out there.

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2007-01-15, 02:27

Are you even using your 360 for games? That's what it's designed for. If you just need a media center extender, why not buy the Apple TV?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-01-15, 02:30

Quote:
Are you even using your 360 for games? That's what it's designed for. If you just need a media center extender, why not buy the Apple TV?
$20....$300....hmmmmm
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-01-15, 02:31

He had better be using it for games.. I am waiting to kick his ass on Gears of War... and any other AN comers...
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2007-01-15, 02:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
$20....$300....hmmmmm
He just bought the 360 for $300-$400.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-01-15, 02:34

Quote:
He just bought the 360 for $300-$400.
good point i suppose, i didnt look at it that way. i would still go with the C360 and xbox option over AppleTV though.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-01-15, 03:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
He had better be using it for games.. I am waiting to kick his ass on Gears of War... and any other AN comers...
You're on. Kraetos. Find me.

(It'll have to wait until next week when I'll be back in the dorm, and theres an ethernet jack close enough to my Xbox to use.)

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-01-15, 04:48

Sounds good to me I am 'tehscratt'.

And I am also busy on a project this week so will be short on time.. so yeah, cool lets kick each other's butts and then go kick some other people's butts too next week...

Anyone else?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-01-15, 09:06

Quote:
I am using it for games, but that wasn't my purpose in buying it. Why would I spend $300 on the AppleTV when I know it wouldn't do exactly what I wanted either? That and we still have an old tv with no fancy inputs. I figured the 360 could do most of what I needed AND it could play games. Unfortunately it seems that C360 isn't a very good program. If it worked like it was supposed to, I'd actually be very happy with it.

I did open GoW yesterday and I discovered 2 things: 1) I absolutely SUCK at video games and 2) all these years being a Mac/Nintendo user have left me completely clueless when it came to how amazing games have gotten these days.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-01-15, 10:11

one of these days Ill pick up GofW. I play a lot of Call of Duty 3. My gamer tag is Yonts if anyone wants to hit me up.
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-01-15, 11:01

torifile, GoW makes me feel old! I have realised how focussed you have to be, and also how dextrous, and also constantly aware of your environment and other peoples strategies... Almost so much to do it's not fun when you are playing online.. I had a massive session tonight and got my ass handed to me so many times, literally! But I think I am getting there, I had quite a long shotgun fight with two Cog tonight and they came off worse than me! HooHar!

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-01-15, 15:01

More information on this issue (maybe this should be in GB?)

Code:
Jan 15 14:59:43 iMac configd[40]: rtmsg: error writing to routing socket Jan 15 14:59:45 iMac mDNSResponder: FoundInstance: _daap._tcp.local. PTR . received from network is not valid DNS-SD service pointer Jan 15 14:59:46 iMac mDNSResponder: FoundInstance: _daap._tcp.local. PTR . received from network is not valid DNS-SD service pointer Jan 15 14:59:49 iMac mDNSResponder: NAT Port Mapping (LLQ event port.): timeout
These lines occur in my console.log when I shutdown the Xbox and also when it starts up. Other than that, no console.log entries. Any ideas?

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-01-16, 17:37

I'm actually making some headway on this issue. Well, I'm at least beginning to understand what might be causing the problems. I've got 2 suspects right now, but I don't know anything about them:

1) UPnP and
2) dns-sd

Anyone know anything about these 2? I've read that UPnP can be problematic. In reading through my console logs, I've found the IP 239.255.255.250 and googling that leads me to UPnP. Further googling led me to some dns-sd command:
Code:
dns-sd -R "Xbox" _daap._tcp local 1900 &
The port 1900 I got from my search leading to UPnP. I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I think I may be onto something.

Can anyone lend a hand in troubleshooting? TIA.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-01-16, 23:36

Well, motherfucker. Goddamn it. @!#!#@!#%%#**)(%*#

I got it working. Not by all the reading on upnp or dns-sd or anything, but by simplifying the connections. I moved my router downstairs and made my settings all "automatic". Restarted my computer and voila! it worked.

I still have no clue why it quit working in the first place and I don't really give a fuck at this point. It's working (and very well!) so I'm happy. Nullriver's support sucks but hopefully I'll never have to use them again. So there. If you've tried this program and it didn't work, try simplifying. I'm an idiot for not trying this 2 days ago.

MBHockey
skates=grafs

2008-04-03, 18:16

Grr. I can't get this to work. I've got a few nice MP4s I'd like to stream over to my xbox 360 but for some reason my computer doesn't show up in my the Computers section of my xbox 360 dashboard menu.

The firewall in Leopard is off, and Connect360 is started. Connect360 finds the xbox, but my MBP just doesn't show up in the Computers list. Any ideas?