Braces Suck

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Braces Suck
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-01-18, 12:53

Yeah, just had more put on today. I don't know how I was talked into this, but here I am with a mouth full of wires and rubber bands. Honestly I don't think this is worth it. My teeth aren't that bad and whatever straightness I would get from braces can't be worth the hurt-like-hell factor.

You ask me for a hamburger.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-01-18, 12:54

Chicks dig braces. Just be careful not to get them caught on her naughty bits, that doesn't tend to score you any points, but makes for quite the laughable situation for EMS personal.

Come waste your time with me
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-01-18, 12:55

Just be cool man, it'll be worth it. my nephew just got his off and they have to scrape the high school girls of him.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-01-18, 12:55

They are definitely a good thing. You end up with a winning smile!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-01-18, 12:59

Oh yeah...I forgot to be encouraging and nice and all that.

What's on your teeth doesn't matter, just as long as you have them.

Wait...that's not right.

Don't worry about the braces dude, ast3r3x is absolutely right, you'll end up with some nice, straight pearly whites. You'll be beating chicks off with a stick. I've never had braces myself, but I understand they can be quite uncomfortable at times. The pain now should be worth what it will get you later.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-01-18, 13:03

Oh I how I hate the metal wire braces... had them for 2+ years as a teenager.

Right now I have the Invisalign braces, and love them. They still hurt one day every two weeks, but I can take them out to brush, take them out to eat, (take them out to *interview*) and don't have to worry about losing soft tissues in them. :P

They can't do every thing that metal braces can though, so they aren't an option for everyone, but I lucked out. Love 'em.

The end result when you get them off will make it all worthwhile, trust me.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-01-18, 13:04

I thought you meant these braces:

Which you guys call suspenders. Whereas I call these suspenders:

I prefer my version.

And yes, Tooth Braces suck hard. Now. But later, you'll rule.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2006-01-18, 13:07

Heh, well I just took some aspirin. Anything else y'all recommend (preferably legal) to help with the pain?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-01-18, 13:08

Suspenders eh?

Interesting.

Caution...thread derailment in 3...2...1...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-01-18, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Yeah, just had more put on today. I don't know how I was talked into this, but here I am with a mouth full of wires and rubber bands. Honestly I don't think this is worth it. My teeth aren't that bad and whatever straightness I would get from braces can't be worth the hurt-like-hell factor.
Hi abb.

Hey, didn't ya know? Suffering builds character!

And yeah, I agree with the point that eventually you'll have to scrape the girls off you. Straight white teeth are *very* sexy. Surely 'that' should be motivation enough.

Just be glad your parents are willing to cough up the money. Have they told you how much they'll cost when all is said and done? Also, how long will you have to wear them?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-18, 13:20

I have braces. They do suck.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2006-01-18, 13:21

Heh, no idea (insurance covers it), but probably on the order of 3 grand over this year and next. I should have them off around the time I graduate high school (in a year and a half)... a shame, since I won't be showing off my pearly whites to many high school girls. I guess that sets me right up for college though. My current girlfriend just had hers taken off a few weeks ago, and her smile is now gorgeous.

I guess I just have to persevere and deal with it.

You ask me for a hamburger.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-01-18, 13:25

I never had braces. My teeth are a bit crooked but I don't really give a damn, when it comes to my appearence, crooked teeth are the least of my concerns.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-01-18, 13:28

All the better actually. High school girls = teh suck. College girls = not as much teh suck as high school girls, so take what you can get.

If a girl won't go out with you because you've got a little more metal in your mouth than most people, she's not worth your time anyway. There's plenty of girls out there, especially in a high school. Not like you should be looking for a girl to marry anyway, there's time for that later. High school is about having fun, about exploring and being adventurous. The most important part of that is to just have fun, don't miss out on some of the best times of your life grubbing for grades or anything like that.

My best advice is to stay out too late, do something stupid (preferably as often as possible), don't get too attached to one girl because any hope of continuing any kind of relationship will be killed by college...sorry, that's just reality, and most of all, have some fun. Don't fail all your classes or anything like that, but high school isn't all about school, and you can have some awesome times.

The point of all this is, don't waste your time on a girl who won't date you because of your braces. If you ever encounter a girl like that, tell her she's ugly, she has a big butt, and the zit on her nose is really noticeable.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-01-18, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Chicks dig braces. Just be careful not to get them caught on her naughty bits, that doesn't tend to score you any points, but makes for quite the laughable situation for EMS personal.
Okay, Sammy, I'm hereby officially giving you some important advice:

*trumpets sound*

Start keeping a daily journal of your EMS experiences so that later, down the road, you can write the most riveting book on what it's like to be a paramedic. I'm totally serious. You're right at the beginning of your career, you see things from a fresh point of view, and you're a thoughtful person with insight and compassion. A perfect combination for a future bestseller on the non-fiction list.

And btw, refrain from putting your journal observations on your blog. The EMS experiences you will be acquiring are a kind of wealth. Don't fritter your valuable assets away. Believe me, other people can read what you write and steal your ideas. It happens *all* the time.

I mean, hey, *I* could write a whole *screenplay* based on the little anecdote you mentioned above. See what I mean? I wouldn't of course, but countless others would be only too happy to steal your idea (as I know from first-hand experience ).

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-01-18 at 13:39.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-01-18, 13:33

You can always be glad your getting braces now. From the sound of it, in the older days, braces WERE HORRIBLE. Metal bands on each tooth instead of just glued on. I guess they still put bands on sometimes, but it's not nearly as bad.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-01-18, 13:35

Quote:
If you ever encounter a girl like that, tell her she's ugly, she has a big butt, and the zit on her nose is really noticeable.
Okay, forget what I said above about your having compassion.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-01-18, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Okay, Sammy, I'm hereby officially giving you some important advice
I gotta go get myself a notebook.

Note: For those of you who think my job is fun...that is probably some of the least fun I've had on a call. On top of trying extremely hard not to laugh at these kids, the girl's dad wasn't very happy to see his daughter's boyfriend's head literally stuck to her crotch. Although the laugh that we had about it later more than made up for that.

Enough of this...back to discussion of braces!

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-01-18, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Okay, forget what I said above about your having compassion.
You'll note the "," indicating the presence of sarcasm. Blast! I still haven't mastered sarcasm on teh interweb.

I'm really not that cruel of a person, I'd never be able to say that to anyone, even in jest.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-01-18, 13:44

Quote:
You'll note the "," indicating the presence of sarcasm. Blast! I still haven't mastered sarcasm on teh interweb.

I'm really not that cruel of a person, I'd never be able to say that to anyone, even in jest.

I know.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-01-18, 13:52

See! Me + teh interweb + sarcasm = one huge mess.

ABB, I'm sure you'll look just as sexy with braces as you do without them.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-01-18, 13:57

No evil intentions from me neither.

But if you also get a pair of spectacles and some acne, and perhaps accessorise with a couple of pens in your shirt pocket. You will own the computer lab!

On the serious side, I've always been wondering why my dentist didn't put a brace on me. My teeth are quite badly aligned. But I've never really had any trouble with it anyway, probably because you have to can't really see it when I'm showing my teeth, unless you stuff a mirror into my mouth.

So in my opinion, braces aren't worth it unless it's obviously required.

gabriel_realized

Send a message via MSN to gabriel_realized Send a message via Skype™ to gabriel_realized 
2006-01-18, 15:30

I got my braces off last year, after nearly two years of unbearable (ok, bit of an exagerration, and i was on morphine etc. for other surgery so I can't complain ) pain, and I would have to say...

So Damn Worth It... You know all those people you think have good teeth before you get your brace, they'll having nothing on yours after.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-01-18, 15:54

And just as a correction...

College girls suck more. And a whole lot else.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-01-18, 16:09

It's funny, I've found that Americans (and Canadians too) are much more apt to hget their kids braces, and we've become rather infamous for our abnormally well-aligned teeth.

My parents had all four kids in braces. My mom asked our orthodontist to give us a very slight overbite to avoid the Burt Lancaster look.

PS: after the braces are off, DO wear your retainer as perscribed by your orthodontist. It will pay off a lot in later years.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-01-18, 16:14

Yeah, that's why I have to have them again now... I lost mine.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-01-18, 16:30

Quote:
The point of all this is, don't waste your time on a girl who won't date you because of your braces. If you ever encounter a girl like that, tell her she's ugly, she has a big butt, and the zit on her nose is really noticeable.
No man, you wine and dine her, and get your revenge when you 69 her.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-01-18, 16:43

If you move to the UK real quick, you should be able to get away with no braces ever.

Or you could stay closer to home and just go to Canada. Enough guys up there played hockey that if you even have teeth you're one up on the competition.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Fooboy

2006-01-18, 17:54

My dearest Bean Boy (affectionately),

1. All good things are worth suffering for. Straight teeth are good.
2. It is way better to endure this now than be one of those 40 year olds with braces.
3. It is fun to have you go through your teenage changes before us all.

Jerman

2006-01-18, 18:19

You can do it! Hah. Just had to say it... Seriously though, I got them SENIOR year of high school a week after graduation. Now I am in my sophomore year of college, and getting them off hopefuly in May, two months before I get married. (Thank God!) Anyways, only now are they starting to really really bug me. Plus, I want them off before I go to record my next cd...