Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

PowerBook Sound Problem

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PowerBook Sound Problem
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-29, 02:07

When I plug in my earbuds into the headphone jack on my PowerBook, I hear a metronome type sound that constantly plays through them. It is annoying and abnormal, as I have never heard such a thing before. I dont know if something is really wrong or not, it's very strange and kind of upsetting.

Does anyone know what I can do or what might be wrong?

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-08-29, 04:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
When I plug in my earbuds into the headphone jack on my PowerBook, I hear a metronome type sound that constantly plays through them. It is annoying and abnormal, as I have never heard such a thing before. I dont know if something is really wrong or not, it's very strange and kind of upsetting.

Does anyone know what I can do or what might be wrong?
A random thought: does the ticking sound coincide with the hard drive being accessed, i.e., a tick occurs when the hard drive is being read from/written to?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-08-29, 10:37

Messiahtosh, I know exactly what you're referring to. I've had this problem sometimes when I unplug a set of external speakers. The solution that I've found is to plug and then unplug it. It's like something in the audio out jack gets "stuck" or something. Maybe try replugging the headphones?

BTW, in my experience it's not related to any hard drive activity.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-29, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Messiahtosh, I know exactly what you're referring to. I've had this problem sometimes when I unplug a set of external speakers. The solution that I've found is to plug and then unplug it. It's like something in the audio out jack gets "stuck" or something. Maybe try replugging the headphones?

BTW, in my experience it's not related to any hard drive activity.
I tried to do exactly that last night, unplug and replug the earphones, but it didnt help. This morning, when I woke my PowerBook from sleep, I plugged in the earphones and it sounded fine, no more odd noises. Woo!

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration