AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Does the HD enclosure really matter?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Does the HD enclosure really matter?
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-11-16, 20:01

I'm looking into getting an external HD, and I found one where I can get a Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM 8MB cache HD in a generic cheap enclosure, is it going to effect my speed much, or doesn't the enclosure matter?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2004-11-16, 20:49

With a 7200RPM drive, make sure the case has a fan. Some of the cheap ones don't. I've had drives burn up, and I've even had to ice a 5200PRM Maxtor drive. (Still works though. )

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
autodata
hustlin

2004-11-16, 22:13

My understanding has been that the fan is usually (always?) for the power suppy. Fanless cases are fanless because the have a brick. I have 4 drives in owc cases going back 3 or more years. Back when firewire was new the interface mattered a lot and OWC was pretty consistently the fastest and cheapest at the same time. I have no idea how much it matters these days because that got me started on the owc cases and I have no reason to switch.

Last edited by autodata : 2004-11-16 at 22:18.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-11-16, 22:33

i second the motion to get a fan.

i've had a number of drives go bad when used excessively. heat is a SERIOUS problem. one of the drive cases had a bad fan that was making an annoying ticking noise, so i unhooked it. within a few days the drive started making a bad ticking noise, and the RAID crapped out.

it would only happen when i was consistantly writing to the drives (read 40 hours of straight writing) and the drives were blazing hot to the touch.

Kept happening until i reattached the fan. the drives were cooling, and sustained writes were no longer a problem. if you're going to be using it for a lot of reading/writing, you have to get a fan in the case.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
ast3r3x

2004-11-16, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
With a 7200RPM drive, make sure the case has a fan. Some of the cheap ones don't. I've had drives burn up, and I've even had to ice a 5200PRM Maxtor drive. (Still works though. )
I always thought icing would be a bad idea. Condensation is bad.

I was thinking of this as a an enclosure.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2004-11-16, 23:48

I have two: One is a generic with a fan (and a power brick) and the other is a MacAlly without a fan. Both have 7200s in them. The MacAlly does get hot, but not exorbitantly so. I got the generic with fan first, and for my second drive I thought I'd like a fanless (more quiet) version.

In all reality, I think my preference would be a fanned-internal supplied case. But that's just the only option left

One consideration is the chipset inside the case. Right now there are apparently two main chipsets: one by Oxford (911) and one by Initio (1430). Just FYI, the stock Initio firewire drive conflicts with 10.3.6 - but there is a firmware update available. I don't know about any performance difference between the two (I don't think there is - I can't tell the difference between the two on my drives), but the firmware update would be a PITA since you can't use 10.3.6 to apply it.

But back to your question: The generic performs just as well as the MacAlly - actually better since it wasn't the one affected by the 10.3.6 issue :P
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2004-11-17, 01:40

Funny, I've heard that Oxford chips have the bad rap when it comes with OS X. Many resulting in data loss.

I'm no expert, but that may be a good thing to search.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-11-17, 02:20

That was only a problem with 10.3 and has since been resolved.
Link
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-11-17, 03:40

some nice cheap options here
I got the dual version of this about 2 years ago for $50

it was a good investment... now I have one spot open for another drive that I'm going to need to get soon...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-11-17, 16:11

Luca told me about a month ago that a fan wasn't needed with today's drives, especially if you're not gonna be writing to it consistently (like 24 hours straight)

I was about to buy a 7200 RPM Seagate with a fanless Aluminum enclosure. Is that bad?

Come waste your time with me
Joshua
Hey where the white women at?

Send a message via AIM to Joshua  
2004-11-17, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
I've even had to ice a 5200PRM Maxtor drive. (Still works though. )

Um...
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-11-17, 18:01

actually, icing a drive is the #1 way to recover data from a drive that's physically malfunctioned. i've used this method over a dozen times in the past.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
ast3r3x

2004-11-17, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
actually, icing a drive is the #1 way to recover data from a drive that's physically malfunctioned. i've used this method over a dozen times in the past.
Why? What does it help?
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2004-11-17, 19:33

I've my FW800 Granite Digital for a while now. Decided on them since they were one of the few companies exempt from the data-loss fiasco and their SCSI gear is very nice. It has an external power brick and a quiet (sorta) fan cooling things off inside.

Check StorageReview on drive temps, noise and their recommendations on which drive to consider. My Samsung Spinpoint was chosen for Cube use as it runs cool and quiet, perfect for a passive-cooling situation. Most drives should be run with active-cooling, especially when used in very constrictive enclosures . Really warm, trapped in a plastic little case, you wouldn't like it. Neither does your drive. Check the better case designs for both PC and Mac, the drives are almost always up front with an intake fan (or fan slot).

What is great about my case is the power switch on the front. Very convenient. When I'm done using my external (Hitachi 250GB, not quiet with frequent noise, then again I'm an acoustic nut) I unmount and flip it off.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-17, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonYz
I've my FW800 Granite Digital for a while now. Decided on them since they were one of the few companies exempt from the data-loss fiasco and their SCSI gear is very nice. It has an external power brick and a quiet (sorta) fan cooling things off inside.
Wow. For $120 they'd better be good. You could buy three enclosures (granted, only FW400) by other brands for that much money.
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2004-11-18, 00:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Wow. For $120 they'd better be good. You could buy three enclosures (granted, only FW400) by other brands for that much money.
Well it was one of the first FW800/USB2 enclosures I saw at the time. And well, this company is still in SCSI-mode for pricing

It's been good to me, can't complain.

/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}