The Inaugural Tiger thread
Matsu
Veteran Member

2004-05-16, 08:47

What are you all expecting?

Two major areas:

New features.

Hardware requirements.

What are we getting, and who's getting left behind?
Tiger

2004-05-16, 12:18

I will enjoy seeing any speculations about the Tiger. Nuff said for now.
HoTT RoDeR

Send a message via AIM to HoTT RoDeR  
2004-05-16, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger

I will enjoy seeing any speculations about the Tiger. Nuff said for now.
My wife would like that but no. LOL

I would like to see the same speed improvement that we have seen from 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.3 and more options with the dock. Also expose is probably the most usable gimmick I have ever seen. Whenever I use Windows I find myself throwing my mouse to my trigger conner and then I realize the worlds not perfect all the time. Although with Longhorn and all its rip offs, I think Apple could make expose much better. Don't ask me how but I know they can do it. More improvements with finder as we had from Jag to Panther.

"Experience is the worst teacher in life. It gives the test before presenting the lesson."
Wrao
Yarp

2004-05-16, 14:11

I'm hoping to see some virtual desktop goodness, some improvements to expose(like the ability to close zoomed windows with one click) Hopefully everything will be snappierª particularly window management and safari(which I hope we see a new version of)
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2004-05-16, 14:19

I think Tiger calls for a new marketing campaign.

It's greeaaaaat!

I think we'll see better compatibility with other *nixes and with Linux in particular. Hopefully Tiger will have a completely rewritten Finder. Maybe Ÿber meta-data doesn't make this cut, but the Finder, the essential Mac experience, still sucks. Too many bugs and hang ups to be useful for everyday use.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
hyperb0le

Send a message via AIM to hyperb0le  
2004-05-16, 19:54

I'd like Tiger to fix the Quartz Extreme problem that affects the dock after a few programs crash. The genie effect gets really choppy, and the only way to fix it is to restart the dock.

I'd also like to see an XCode 1.5 or 2.0 release with some nice goodies for us developers. Maybe some more extensions to the text frameworks and some nice Interface Builder palettes (I'd really like to be able to drop an NSToolbar onto a window instead of having to it programmatically.). Maybe also an option to make a window use the ProKit appearance (FCP, Motion, DVDSP, etc). Of course, if they give us the ProKit option in Interface Builder, there better be some strict guidelines for it. I don't want to see a chat client using ProKit.
HoTT RoDeR

Send a message via AIM to HoTT RoDeR  
2004-05-16, 23:14

Yes we need a better Finder and better Dock. It hasn't change much at all just in appearance not function.
BrandonAllan

2004-05-17, 09:36

I'd like to see a "pro" theme like Motion and DVD Studio Pro.

I'm curious to see if anything will come of that translucent window patent that Apple filed recently. Patent

I'm not here. This isn't happening.
othello

Send a message via AIM to othello  
2004-05-18, 09:06

pro theme

sftp from the finder. actually make that ftp from the finder that works

customizable dock

better power management
ZO

2004-05-18, 09:28

I'd like to see a Panther black box... but with nice orange stripes. Mmmm... seksi
Tiger

2004-05-18, 09:35

Zo ... wtfsck? You think about sex in Finnish?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-18, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
...but the Finder, the essential Mac experience, still sucks. Too many bugs and hang ups to be useful for everyday use.

Oops, I didn't get that memo. Guess I'd better reinstall OS 9 and get with the program, if want to get anything done because, apparently, I've been kidding myself these past two years, using X full time...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-05-19 at 06:42.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-05-18, 19:57

I second the FTP comment. As it is, its too slow to do anything with.
VOX BARBARA

2004-05-19, 03:41

what about to recover your files you have trashed accidently (or should i say trashed randomly)

I'd like to see a small sys. integrated app, which simply recovers files you have trashed. Sometimes that would be a lifesaver. it is a no brainer, really

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
--Philip K. Dick
VOX BARBARA

2004-05-19, 03:43

hate doing things twice
Quote:
'nuff said
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-21, 08:52

The Finder still feels 80% done to me in some respects; it needs some added flexibility to existing features (labels, Preferences) and it needs more polish. For one thing, even on my G5, jumping to directories with a high number of folders and files inside... makes the Finder stutter for a second or two. Every time. For a 2GB, Dual 2GHz machine this is 100% unacceptable. Everything I do within the Finder (short of copying huge files or making non-local network connections) should be instantaneous.

The Dock's biggest problem always was and still is a lack of flexibility. But as long as I can get tools like Onyx for free that not only allow me to tweak the Dock but also perform system maintenance routines, I can't bitch too much. I just keep it hidden most of the time anyway and use DragThing. That said, Apple could stand to make it better if 10.4 is going to be the last major release for a couple years.

I would like to see them clean up the utilities folder a bit and do some more Panther-style merging of similar functions. For example place all the Airport admin stuff (I consider setup a part of administration) into one app. Same with all the Bluetooth stuff. Could probably merge Directory Access and Net Info Manager somehow, as well.

The point being, the fewer items whose purpose could easily be confused with one another, and the less clutter in a place where people go to find technical solutions to configuring their Mac, the better IMO.

Last but not least I'd like to see more theme options so I don't have to use a Haxie that digs around in my system-level files just so I can have an option besides "stop light" and "grey". Even two or three more subtle variants would be enough IMO. Two is just weak.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-21, 09:52

Appearance/button-wise (the three "stoplight" window buttons and their graphite counterparts) I wouldn't mind seeing Apple - just this once - take a page from the IE playbook and simply include a choice for every color associated with Apple over the years...in other words, all the iMac/iBook colors (the original Bondi, the famous five fruits, the summer 2000 colors of Indigo, Ruby, Sage and Snow and also Key Lime). On top of that, throw in the iPod mini colors too. And, of course, keep the three-colored traffic lights and the nice-looking graphite.

Surely, in those 15 or so colors represented, there is something for everyone.

I'd have little tangerine window buttons all live long day...

And no, I don't want to download and use some third-party alteration patch that I have to putz around with. I want it FROM Apple, VIA System Preferences. And I want it yesterday.

Defiant

Send a message via ICQ to Defiant Send a message via AIM to Defiant  
2004-05-21, 10:18

You're just at total Apple-licker, pscates.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-21, 10:38

Hey, you gotta be good at something...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-21, 10:45

Lickin Apples is downright un-natural suhn, what'r they teachin ya down thar in Tennessee anyway?