User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Can't add photos to… Photos

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can't add photos to… Photos
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-10-26, 09:04

(Genius app name there, Apple )

I have a folder of photos from a USB stick. I drag the folder onto Photos and wonder what's happened.

Delightfully, it shows them as thumbnails, asks where it should import to (including offering me to create a new album for this) and even offers to create a hierarchy based on the folders (which doesn't make sense in this case because it's just one flat folder, but it's the thought that counts?).

The album gets created. Then, nothing.

So I try instead dragging individual photos. Now all I get is:

Quote:
Cannot Import Item

This item cannot be added to your Photo library because it may be in an unrecognisable* file format or the file may not contain valid data.
Then it lists the files, and every one with a Reason; in this case: "** Invalid: The operation couldn't be completed. (PHPhotosErrorDomain error -1.) **"

And that's where I'm stuck. Photos Version 5.0 (101.15.190) on 10.15. Maybe I should try a 10.15.1 beta?

*) Why are portions of macOS in British English now? Ugh.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-10-26, 10:22

Updated to Photos Version 5.0 (111.16.180) / macOS 10.15.1 Beta (19B86a); rebooted as part of that. Works immediately.

I'm guessing it was just something that got stuck that was fixed due to the reboot. But maybe it's a fix in Photos 111?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-26, 11:58

I was going to suggest software update/restart, but you smarted already, so I won't suggest anything.
chucker

2019-10-28, 04:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I was going to suggest software update/restart, but you smarted already, so I won't suggest anything.
Heh. It's just frustrating when you're about to head off to your family to show some photos and… stuff doesn't work.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-28, 09:31

Yup.

But, then it did. So, problem solved-ish sorta kinda.